Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychology Screening please help???

so i just made my appointment for the psychology and i am so nervous , my question is what do they ask you ? what do they dis qualify you for ? and would they disqualify me for having anxiety , depression , and being in the hospital before for it ?

what do they ask you someone please help

thanks so much

I go this friday, and I would like to know as well.

well i had mine lst week and we just talked about my life how/why i think i am overweight she did ask if i was on meds for depression/anxiety (i am) if i had any bulemia issues, been in the hospital for hallucinatios etc... I passed and was just approved yesterday.. It really wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be.

thank you so much that helps

The asked me the following:

:describe my childhood.

:What my eating habits were as a child.

:About how my family would react, if there was ever any abuse in my family.

:how I felt about food

:how I planned on changing the way I felt about food

:did I have a support system now

:why did I think this would work for me when everything else hasn't

those type of things. Hope it helps! Honestly, there is nothing to worry about. I too have had depression, we discussed that and there were no problems. :confused:

would they deny you if you were a compulsive eater?or if you suffer bad depression or anxiety

would they deny you if you were a compulsive eater?or if you suffer bad depression or anxiety

I think they're more concened with you treating your anxiety and depression, moreso than you "having" it. They talk to plenty of people with anxiety and or depression, you won't be the first or the last. Just be honest with your answers and it will be over before you know it... no big deal, you'll be fine!:confused:

Some of the psych. consults include a T/F or Y/N set of standard questions, too. Bascially, what they are looking for is that you do not have unreasonable expectations about the surgery. I mean, there are plenty of people who seek the surgery who haven't done their homework and who somehow expect this to work like Samantha's nose or a magic wand. Those people need to be weeded out, so to speak or referred for more review.

Anxiety and depression are rampant in our society...and how many of us obese people have been treated for depression???? I wouldn't even hazard a guess, LOL. No, those would not rule you out.

For my psych consult, there was two parts. First was the discussion with the psychologist. He wanted to know about my family and their health, my social life, my fears about the surgery, diets I have tried, what I look forward to doing after the surgery, if I knew anyone who had weight-loss surgery, and my support system. He also asked me questions about ever being depressed or suicidal and if I ever wanted to kill anyone(which was a little weird). The next part was the tests. I had to take a T/F test and also a test where I had to pick the next pattern or the next thing in a sequence. I was told to expect the whole thing to take 3 hours, but I was done in 1 1/2 hours.

I agree with HappyMe2009. I don't think having depression would prevent you from having the surgery, they just want to help you get it under control before the surgery.

I had mine a week ago and was told she wasn't there to disqualify me but to ensure my treatment was a success and make recommedations as deemed ness.

Basic battery of self, soical and family history questions. Talked about surgery expectations and goals.

I have chronic depression, anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder.

My surgery was approved today!!!

Hope that was helpful - Cat

They asked me if I knew all the risks involved, and completely understood them, etc. I had to take a few quizes about my mental state, and he asked me if I was taking orders from my frosted flakes, I thought that was hilarious! lol! But overall , it wasn't bad at all.

Mine was a few weeks ago & was more like sitting down with an old friend. He told me stories of patients with the band. We discussed my weight history but we really just laughed. I was scared in the beginning but it was really a good experience.

I start liquids tomorrow & Wednesday I get my band!!!

Good luck on your journey!

Hi all: I am also a pre surgery patient of Dr. Geiss and did not have the psychology screening done yet. Are you going to the therapist in Dr. G office? Also the nutritionist there? I was told they dont take insurance....so that is $500. Seems alot for 1 visit each. Did your insurance cover any of these charges. Thanks cat lady

Hi all: I am also a pre surgery patient of Dr. Geiss and did not have the psychology screening done yet. Are you going to the therapist in Dr. G office? Also the nutritionist there? I was told they dont take insurance....so that is $500. Seems alot for 1 visit each. Did your insurance cover any of these charges. Thanks cat lady

I know for me, there are charges that the insurance doesn't cover, so they offer a payment plan to get it paid prior to the insurance. Maybe they have something like that for you too???

I would agree with the previous posters.... When I went in last month, I just answered what was asked and didn't "offer" anymore. I know a lot about the procedure and he asked me questions about it and I answered them, adding nothing.

I was there about 30 min. It was a friendly conversation. I didn't say a word when he gave his opinion on food plans and such, weather I agreed or disagreed.

Short and sweet and to the point.

I also found it amusing the psycologist was a man, he looked like the short, heavyset, furry friend from Borat. That made me laugh... here he was telling ME how to get it right... just seemed.. hypocritical...

LOL!