Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious how long those of you that have already had the lap band surgery stayed in the hospital. Was it an overnight stay? Same day, outpatient? Several days?

For those who had outpatient - how did you feel when discharged to go home?

Hey 10. A stay (if any) is usually dictated by the insurance company (Medicare wants their pts to stay overnight. Other companies have different policies). Sometimes, the surgeon might want a patient to stay overnight (if there were complications during the band placement, or if the patient has a complex medical history). For the majority of patients, though, it's a day surgery. I was home by 2:00 PM, and I wasn't even the first one on the table.

I haven't had my surgery yet (Oct 1), but already know I have to stay 1 nite - due to Medicare restrictions. I'm fine with that, I'd rather be in pain where they can give me something than to wait till I'm home and can only take oral meds (vs IV meds)

Marci

I didn't have to stay, it was being considered because I have had heart issues in the past, but they let me go... The kicker... we received a letter from my insurance today stating that my claim is denied becuase of an overnight stay???? No clue. The only thing I can figure is they did move me to a regular room before being discharged, I guess I have a fight on my hands...never a dull moment!

I was just banded yesterday and spent the night - my doctor asked me if I wanted to and I would definitely do it if you can. The morphine button is your best friend.

So far, this has been a breeze!

My surgery is on 9/18 and I will be staying one night.

My Dr's group requires a one night stay. They want to make sure you can swallow and keep it down so they observe for one night.

I haven't heard anything from my insurance about them paying the cost of the hospital. They did agree to pay for the surgery. Guess I had better get on the phone to the Dr.

But I do have medicare as a secondary insurance for hospital stays so I am thinking they will pay for the overnight if the first insurance doesn't pick it up since they require an overnight stay.

I am self pay..so in and out the same day!

My surgeon requires one night stay so that is what I'll be doing next month.

Kim

surgery 9/15

I had to stay overnight per insurance req. It wasn't too bad but I would have liked to do it outpatient. I was up walking around 30 min after I woke up with almost no pain at all. I didn't take any pain killers at the hospital and I still haven't touched the lortab I have at home.

Im selfpay and they still are making me spend the night but thats Ok with me. I have 3 boys to take care of so Ill need the rest:)

I am required by the Dr's group to stay one night. I am self pay, but have to do what they say! I will be spending the night in the hospital on the 23rd of September.

I was self pay (7-1-09). I got to the facility at 6:30 in surgery or at least talking to surgeon by 7:00 and on my way out the door by 11:30, with my new best friend (well for 2 days anyway) liquid lortab. I'm glad that I didnt have to stay over night.I'm not saying it didnt hurt but they gave me a couple doses of moriphine before I left the facility, made me drink the pain medicine to make sure I could get it down and shortly after I was on my way home. Stopped by the drug store to get my rx filled and went home and got in bed. I was up later that night but the pain wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I dont think being in the hospital would have made a difference in the pain. I was gonna have some pain no matter where I was at but even at home I was able to control it with meds. However, I had my parents there and my husband there and even my brother (Thank God I was asleep) to help me with everything that I needed. For the most part all you will want to do the first day is sleep, but you will need some help to care for yourself...just not the entire family! Best of luck with your journey!

My MD gave me the option of staying the night or going home. Not a tough decision for me. I stayed, had a private room, tanked up on 'happy juice'....and had the best night's sleep i've had in years. I was actually trying to think of a way to stay 2 nights, but i felt too good to justify that one. :thumbup: Plus my boys would have stressed out if they thought i had to stay because something was wrong.

I chose to stay overnight. My surgeon gave me the option to stay or go home since I was looking very good after surgery. But I was concerned that, should there be any complications, I wouldn't have the proper care at home. And I definitely didn't want to make a return trip to the hospital. I also wanted them to be able to give me IV liquids since I was drinking probably 30cc an hour only. I was worried about dehydration.

I had a private room (thank goodness) and my fiancee stayed overnight with me (they got him a rollaway bed). If you have a choice, try to stay.