Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie & Youngster from TX

I am new to this forum. I have recently decided and been scheduled for LapBand surgery for October 26th by Dr. David Kim out of Colleyville, TX. I'm anxious & scared..and have not known or seen where someone in their 20's (especially right at the age of 20!) was going through this process.

I feel like this will be the final & right tool for me to change my habits - but it would be nice to know people going through the same thing! :biggrin:

xo,

Jamie

I feel the same way. I have just started the journey into trying to get the surgery, but right now I'm only 18. I understand how you feel about the age deal. There is one other person on this site, apparently, who's my age so you're not alone here :blink:

Well that's certainly good to know. I was 18 when I decided to start looking into this surgery, and it seems like the day will never come, but I think as long as your determined (& find the absolute right doctor) it will happen.

And incase you havn't found a doctor/surgeon yet, don't hop on the train with the first one you meet. I went through 3 doctors (going to their WLS seminars & what not) until I found the right one!

:blink:

Jamie

Congrats on getting your surgery schedueld!!! I'm still in the begining process right now. I've thought about getting the surgery for a while now and finally go up the courage to do it. I've been looking for people on here in there 20's as well. Its nice to know ya'll are out there going through the same thing I am!

endlessdreams_x how long did the whole process take for you? I go to my first appointment on the 26th of this month, and I've been trying to get some idea of how long it takes?

anyways I wish you all the best with your journey!!

Jamie,

Dr. Kim Did mine on Tuesday. I am feeling great so far. He is wonderful. Hang in there.

Jim

Edited by FtWorthJim

Thank you very much! It's been about a year since I started actually started to attend seminars and get serious. My original family doctor that I've had since I was little was not on board with my decision, so I switched doctors before I continued the process.

I don't want to knock your hopes down, but sometimes insurance companies can be VERY VERY difficult.

Also, do your own research, if you havnt already. An imformed patient is a smart patient.

Thanks for the reply Jim! That's always very comforting to hear! I overhead several patients talking in his office on Wednesday about how much weight theyve lost, etc. I'm so excited and Dr. Kim seemed wonderful!

Heyy, I'm not 20, I'm 18 though, I got banded on July 31 2009 in Saranac Lake NY by Dr. Hill, my first week was really rough but now I'm doing great. It took me 9 months just to get my surgery date. I was extremely nurvous and scared too but once I had my IV in I started to get less nurvous and scared. This website helped a lot, has a lot of information here. anyways best of luck to you (:

It didn't take me that long to get my surgery date..it just took me that long to find a surgeon I was really comfortable with and to convince my parents. I walked into this doctor on Wednesday and wanted to schedule surgery for me Sept. 15th, but unfortunately I'll be going on vacation just 7 days later.

I'm so releaved to hear there's other youngsters out there though. (That doctor's office was filled with people probably 10-20 years my junior.

So how did you take the liquid diet?!

awesome (:

i couldnt get Clear liquids down without getting nauseated besides Water but when i got better nausea pills things got better and i was able to get full liquids down but dont worry everybody is different and i was like that when i was younger too

Hey, I am also 20 years old, going through with this. Message me if you'd like to chat!

I am new to this forum. I have recently decided and been scheduled for LapBand surgery for October 26th by Dr. David Kim out of Colleyville, TX. I'm anxious & scared..and have not known or seen where someone in their 20's (especially right at the age of 20!) was going through this process.

I feel like this will be the final & right tool for me to change my habits - but it would be nice to know people going through the same thing! :confused:

xo,

Jamie

Hey Jamie! I'm also scheduled to have my surgery done with Dr. Kim! I'm 25 and mine is scheduled for Sept 8th. I'm getting really nervous/scared too! I'm self pay so I haven't had to deal with any of the insurance stuff so I'm on the fast track and just went in for my first consult with Dr. Kim last week and they scheduled my surgery for Sept 8th! I've never even been to a seminar but I have to attend the educational class in a week so hopefully that will tell me A LOT! It's all very fast but I think I'm ready. I just know that if I had to wait any longer I'd just end up piling on more weight, especially since I've been in the "last supper" mode before I have to do my pre-op diet!

Anyway just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm a Dr. Kim patient as well and in my twenties!

Hey Jamie! I'm also scheduled to have my surgery done with Dr. Kim! I'm 25 and mine is scheduled for Sept 8th. I'm getting really nervous/scared too! I'm self pay so I haven't had to deal with any of the insurance stuff so I'm on the fast track and just went in for my first consult with Dr. Kim last week and they scheduled my surgery for Sept 8th! I've never even been to a seminar but I have to attend the educational class in a week so hopefully that will tell me A LOT! It's all very fast but I think I'm ready. I just know that if I had to wait any longer I'd just end up piling on more weight, especially since I've been in the "last supper" mode before I have to do my pre-op diet!

Anyway just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm a Dr. Kim patient as well and in my twenties!

Hey! Haha...last super, I totally get that.. Oh I'm so excited..I was a little nervous & scared when I went in there on Tuesday..I thought I was like the only one in there! All the older ones were kinda lookin' at me like..Hmm..lol. I wish I could had a Sept. 8th..they could have scheduled me for Sept. 15th, but I couldnt do that due to some vacation plans.

Do you plan on going to the support group??:(

Any idea when the next support group meeting is for Dr. Kim?

I don't! The scheduling nurse said I would find out about all that stuff this coming week.