Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after surgery where you able to return to work/school without problems?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long after surgery where you able to return to work/school without problems?

• 1 - 2 days
    • 3 - 4 days
    • 5 - 6 days
    • 7 - 9 days
    • 10+ days
    • None of these work for my situation

I am going to have my surgery soon (no date yet) I want to make sure I take off enough time from work. Tell me about your experiences please.

Dave

Edited by david6789

Had my surgery on Wednesday by Saturday I went to my nephew's birthday party and Sunday I went to a superbowl party and was back to work by Monday. I had to take it easy on those days but I was getting back to a normal life. By Tuesday I felt much, much better.

I had my surgery Monday and went back to work the next Monday. The night of my surgery I went to the support group meeting. The day after was the worst, I took my pain meds as directed, but on Wednesday, I took some in the morning and that was it. My only real pain was from the gas - the gas pains for me were horrible, no matter how much I walked. When hubby had surgery, he didn't have any gas pains at all, but was out for two weeks. It's different for everyone.

I took a total of three and a half weeks off. I didn't want to be rushed and I had no idea how long I would need. Even after reading endless posts. My desk is also really far from the bathroom. At four days out I am off the pain meds, really didn't need them after the second day. I have had no gas pains, which is something I feared. Right now I am trying to get enough Fluid. I'll work on Protein next. I figured that I could always go back to work early if I was ok. I am also able to do some work from home. I can't take a full breath yet and my side still hurts, but that is a ton better than yesterday.

I had surgery fri am, back in nursing school the next tues afternoon (but it was just sitting, no physical stuff). I felt fantastic! I bombed an easy math test though (and I am not a math-phobe...it was simple stuff..and I wasn't "On" anything stronger than tylenol and water) Teacher later quizzed me and I worked all the answers out in my head! She said It was probably just too soon after my surgery. So a caveat...you may think you're doing well and aren't (like drunk people often think they're funnier than they are, unless you're drinking too LOL) I would've preferred having a full week off, but I didn't have the option.

Hi:

I had a desk job so I could have gone back sooner than I did. I took 2 weeks off and I was glad that I did. I was very tired after the surgery. It could be from the anesthesia, but I'm not sure. I had to take a nap every day. If you have the luxury of being able to take two weeks I would go for it.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

I would like to know this also. I do not have a desk job. I al on my feet all day and life at least 30 lbs. I was thinking aboit taking 2 weeks off but now I don't know if its enough!!

well now i took off for 6 weeks. but i had short term pay so i went ahead and took it off like they suggest us to do. at my job i have to move and left very heavy things so i didn't want to chance it.

but i was up and moving around the next day. with in 2 weeks i was feeling like normal.

I was in a lot of pain and didn't feel like myself for a good 3 or so weeks. Only recently [i'm just about 1+ month out] I've been able to walk for long periods of time without any pain in my incision!

I was due to START work @ a new job exactly 8 days after surgery and I couldn't do it. I have [had! :thumbup:] a more physical job though, it involved a lot of up and down stairs and carrying heavy items all day long. I still wasn't feeling up to it another 10 days later. [At that time I also wasn't able to laugh, sneeze or cough without being in pain].

I would take off at least 7 days. Heal properly and do not rush yourself into anything. Nothing is worth causing any complications or being in pain. Also keep in mind you have to allow yourself enough time to adjust to this new diet and for me, I needed to get used to others around me eating like normal while I was still on liquids. :thumbup:

Libby Jane 1976 wow, I'm really glad to hear that bc that is the same amount of time that I have to "get it together" after surgery. I wish it was work that I was worried about, I could at least call in sick, but this is nursing school and I return to clinicals on Tuesday!

Edited by melinda_205

Restless Monkey, I was so glad to read one of the earlier post about someone being off from Wed-Tues but you were pretty much in my shoes! I wont have a test until Wed so maybe that will be long enough that I can get it together some. However, clinicals on Tuesday kinda scares me, but I have already got with my instructor and she says that everything will be fine, she is gonna put me in labor and delivery and then a chair when the babies arent popping out.....I'm really hoping for a quite day!

just make fure you don't pick nothing up over 10 pounds until the 6 weeks is up. don't want to mess anything up.

Great responses! I would like to get a few hundred poll submissions to have a real good idea of the recovery time.