Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ate something not approved

Today at work I ate half a grilled cheese sandwhich and some tom Soup. It made me miserable and I had to vomit. Now I am worried about vomitting, could one time hurt the band or does it take more provuse vomitting to cause slippage? I am14days post op, I know I should not have ate that but I did and Iam paying for it now. Will I ever get this down and get over eating ^comfort^ foods. I know it is a lifestyle change and I walk anywhere from 2-3 miles a day and I had been sticking to my diet but failed big time day!!!

You should tell your surgeon...because you MIGHT have hurt yourself. Usually by day 14 we're on mushies but the fact that you vomited MAY (note I said MAY) have hurt you a bit. You are safest if you call your surgeon and ask! Not for him to fuss (he's not your mama) but to decide if you need an x-ray or something to check your band.

I agree with monkey, I'm on day 12 and I wouldn't even consider eating a sandwich, the most I've had is a little thickened Soup and I was actually worried because I think I ate a little too much and it hurt under my rib cage - As for vomitting, it's always going to happen no matter who you are but the fact that we're both so early on this makes it a little more worrisome (sp?). So definitely call your surgeon/nurse

I did talk to my bariatric nurse yesterday and she laughed at me. She said everyone does it and anyone who says they didnt try is lying. She said as long as I was not having any pain I should be just fine. She did put me back on clears for the rest of the day then back to soft foods today. She also made sure to tell me that my being a nurse I should have known better LOL. I have a great bariatric team and I am thankful for them. Thanks for the replies.

mnjhowell, listen please do not listen to people who always go by the book!!!! do not be scared hell by day 6 I was eating a sub sandwich not proud of it but we all make mistakes....

The by the book approach is the most is the ultra cautious most conserative approach. If you can do it an not be miserable, great, if you can't great to. On day 7 my mushy day I ate nachos, just chewed the shit out of them. I bet I've puked 100 times with my band now, not that big a deal. You will find out that you puke alot at first, and then as time goes on, puke less and less. I haven't got stuck and puked in probably two weeks. I still get stuck from time, but can generally get it down.

Oh, and by the was don't listen to restlessmonkey, she is a band nazi.:wink2:

I did talk to my bariatric nurse yesterday and she laughed at me. She said everyone does it and anyone who says they didnt try is lying. She said as long as I was not having any pain I should be just fine. She did put me back on clears for the rest of the day then back to soft foods today. She also made sure to tell me that my being a nurse I should have known better LOL. I have a great bariatric team and I am thankful for them. Thanks for the replies.

Good for you; you're lucky you have such an understanding team! Mine is not so lackadaisical and was adamant about "no cheating", so I didn't...but I'm sure you're glad to know you're fine.

mnjhowell, listen please do not listen to people who always go by the book!!!! do not be scared hell by day 6 I was eating a sub sandwich not proud of it but we all make mistakes....
The by the book approach is the most is the ultra cautious most conserative approach. If you can do it an not be miserable, great, if you can't great to. On day 7 my mushy day I ate nachos, just chewed the shit out of them. I bet I've puked 100 times with my band now, not that big a deal. You will find out that you puke alot at first, and then as time goes on, puke less and less. I haven't got stuck and puked in probably two weeks. I still get stuck from time, but can generally get it down.

Oh, and by the was don't listen to restlessmonkey, she is a band nazi.:lol:

WHAT?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me? How do you know she didn't damage something with this episode? Are you doctors? She did great by calling her surgeon's office and speaking to a PROFESSIONAL to make sure everything is okay! By making the mistakes that both of you did, how do you know you didn't cause just a little damage and won't have a slip several months/years down the road? You don't!

It is not safe for any one to say "oh, no big deal! I did it and I'm fine!" Hello! You don't know that you really are fine. I certainly hope nothing ever happens to your bands. That would be horrible, BUT there are rules, made by the PROFESSIONALS, for a reason. And no, I didn't cheat. I followed my doctors orders b/c I didn't go through all of this to mess it up. Surgery is a major thing.

And BTW Indshark, RM does happen to know what she's talking about and is a successful bandster to this point. And whether you agree with her or not, please don't call people names!

Oh, and by the was don't listen to restlessmonkey, she is a band nazi.:lol:

I have noticed... without getting personal... that there are some over-reactors (who will say "how can you be over-reacting when talking about our own health) and there are some on here that are just plain crazy (I ate a whole pizza, drank a six pack, and now am inhaling a milkshake... do you think I will be okay?) Well duh - makes me sometimes question if some type of idiot test should be taken prior to the surgery.

Anyway, I think when you post stuff, you open yourself up to all kinds of criticism....

Yes, some are definately "gloom and doom at every turn", I have noticed, but I think the results people are having or not having should speak for themselves.

And BTW Indshark, RM does happen to know what she's talking about and is a successful bandster to this point. And whether you agree with her or not, please don't call people names!

SWEET!!!! CAT FIGHT CAT FIGHT!!!

I WANT PICTURES. :lol:

I have noticed... without getting personal... that there are some over-reactors (who will say "how can you be over-reacting when talking about our own health) and there are some on here that are just plain crazy (I ate a whole pizza, drank a six pack, and now am inhaling a milkshake... do you think I will be okay?) Well duh - makes me sometimes question if some type of idiot test should be taken prior to the surgery.

Anyway, I think when you post stuff, you open yourself up to all kinds of criticism....

Yes, some are definately "gloom and doom at every turn", I have noticed, but I think the results people are having or not having should speak for themselves.

Are you calling me an IDIOT?? Because I guarantee that not one of us got to this board and became fat because we never cheated on a diet, INCLUDING YOU!! So please don't call me an idiot because I made a mistake. It was something I learned from and I won't be doing it again. That is how life works, it is ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. So if you have an issue with something I have done you are more than welcome to drive down to Texas and let me know about it!!

Are you calling me an IDIOT?? Because I guarantee that not one of us got to this board and became fat because we never cheated on a diet, INCLUDING YOU!! So please don't call me an idiot because I made a mistake. It was something I learned from and I won't be doing it again. That is how life works, it is ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. So if you have an issue with something I have done you are more than welcome to drive down to Texas and let me know about it!!

Did you do all the things I listed? I would assume the answer is "no". It appears all you did was eat a harmless grilled cheese and had some Tomato Soup (both of which I happen to love and have cheated with myself! :lol:)

Relax.... go have some oatmeal.

My point of it all is this:

We all have different opinons - no you are not an idiot... You are absolutely normal - I had the biggest bowl of banana pudding yesterday and it was the best friggin thing I have ever eaten in my life. Similar to what a mouth orgasm would be like if we were to ever experience one......

Check out my post from today - I think it sums it up:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/public-service-message-94904/

All the rest aside (name calling etc..)

It's easy to think someone's just whining about the sky falling until it really falls. I'm truly a question authority type, believe it or not. However I think when people post they too are putting it out there, open to all sides. If I take a more conservative approach that's my right; no one has to do what I advise. I'm not really a "band nazi" (I find that offensive actually) and I'm sure the other poster knows that.

I came here, new and uninformed, last summer. I read over and over about people "cheating" on their preop diets. I figured "Why should I be different" and cheated. I truly came to in recovery without the band. May I say that was not my most fun I ever had? It sucked, actually. I had an "epiphany" then. I realized that for all those people urging cheating, and surely they weren't all trying to be mean....that I wish I hadn't done it. I'm that tiny voice saying "Wait...what if this happens" because sometimes you don't get away with it. Sometimes you eat a sandwich 2 days post op and tear out your stitches. Sometimes you cheat on a preop diet and your liver doesn't shrink. Sometimes you puke so much your band slips. Sometimes you get so constipated you get impacted and someone has to dig it out manually (and as a nursing student I was actually taught how to do this. not fun for either person, believe me)

If you don't want the "this could happen" skip my post.

I also tell people they are doing well because I also assume that like me, people come here wanting to get the truth, wanting to get all sides, wanting to make the best choices FOR THEM. You'll note I often say "ask your doctor what s/he thinks is right for you".

I would never want to encourage someone to do something that eventually caused pain or damage, like what happened to me. I'd rather be seen as "gloom and doom" (easy to disregard if you want) than someone who encouraged an earnest poster to do him or her self harm.

I guess it's all a matter of intent. I don't mean to hurt any more than most of the "you'll get away with it" posters do. And people who post need to read and filter the answers, regardless of their content.