Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is wrong with me?

Just 10 days post-op and I'm messing up by overeating. I have to stop this. I was put on mushy foods on the third day after surgery, and I was allowed to introduce more solid foods into my diet during the first week. From what I've read on here, that's not very common, but that's what my book I got from the doctor told me to do.

I followed the pre-op diet to the letter. I had no trouble at all following those strict guidelines for two weeks--even when it was all liquids the entire week before surgery. The problem came about 3 days ago. The swelling is apparently gone, and I have absolutely no restriction. On top of that, it's time for my period and I'm starving!

I don't get my first fill for another 3 weeks. I have stupidly been eating a lot more than 1/2 cup at a time--a lot more! It's not a lot of calories, but too much food. I'm blowing it already! Have I stretched my stomach out already, or is it okay because there is no restriction yet? I'm really worried.

I swore I wouldn't be one of those people who went through all this and failed, but this is not looking good. I wonder what kind of damage I've done by eating so much food so soon after surgery. I've cried and prayed and asked myself why I'm doing this. I've got to get a handle on this. I thought maybe it would help just to write it down. I will do better from now on!

Should I go back on all liquids? Will that even do any good at this point?

Thanks in advance for any advice or encouragement.

Tammy

Tammy,

First off, dont panic. It's way too soon after surgery to have stretched your pouch out. It's normal after the swelling goes down to be more hungry and able to eat more. If you are following your Drs orders and eating the way that he says to eat, then you're doing fine. Remember, this is a tool to help us, it wont do it for us. So you will have to use willpower along with it.

But, for right now, in my humble opinion it honestly sounds like your emotions are swinging a bit and that's what's causing you to doubt yourself. Dont do it! My Dr told me that mood swings are very Very common after this surgery. So, you're getting double doses of emotions right now. Take deep breaths, have some hot tea (with Splenda not sugar!), get a good book, put your feet up, and realize that you have made it one day closer to the You that you deserve to be! And remember, the main thing, if you honestly feel that something might be wrong, call your Dr.

Good luck to you! I know you'll do great!

Tkl

Hi Tammy, well I'm not a doctor so I can't say weather you have caused any damage but you really have to remember why you did this. Maybe it would help if you started keeping a journal, not just for foods but also for your thoughts.

This is the beginning of a whole new life so even though you feel like you will never get through these first stages.... you will and next thing you know you will be on a regular diet, so take a deep breath, refocus and try to keep yourself occupied.

I was banded on the 24th and like you all the swelling has gone down and I too am on my period.

I am on full liquids and thankfully that includes cottage cheese, egg beaters and refried Beans, those keep me satisfied in between the Protein drinks, I also drink a lot of Water and that too helps.

One thing I just started doing is at night I allow myself one hersheys kiss and I keep it in my mouth until it's all liquid and if your a chocolate fan like me that really puts me in a good place.

I don't know about you but getting to where I am now has been a long process and to make a mistake now while my body is in the healing process could just stall all the work I have done to get here, so I just take it one day at a time.

Feel free to send me a private message anytime.

Also I see you are from Cookville, my grandparents which have passed were from Monterey.

I agree, it is very difficult. I am 8 days postop and thought to begin with that maybe I was going to be one of those lucky people who would never need a fill. I was never hungry!! Until about 2 days ago when I feel like 30 minutes after I eat, I could eat again and again. I too was able to eat mushies on day 3...The swelling has deff. gone down, so we are in the same boat! :scared2:

The main thing is, remember your fill isn't that long away and you have gone this far, you can't look back! :thumbup: I know it is easier said than done, but just look for the light at the end of the tunnel and focus on that, as you will have restriction before you know it. If you get hungry after your meal have a Jello cup or fat free pudding. I find those really help!

Oh, I am from Nashville too! Where did you get banded? Good luck & take care, you can do it! :mellow:

Don't be so hard on yourself. It takes time and several fills (in my experience) to get the restriction that you expect to have with the band. The band will work for you, it just takes time. You'll get there.

I am in the same boat! I am almost 3 weeks out with 2 more weeks until my first fill. I am hugry all the time and I am just trying to do my best to watch what I eat, calories and amounts, exercise as much as I can and my goal is to not gain before my first fill. I literally am X-ing the days on the calander until my first fill! I am so excited to get back to restriction again:thumbup:

You need a GROUP HUG!!

:grouphug:

:welldoneclap:

Good Luck! :smile2:

make sure you are getting your protiens that will help keep you fuller, eat things that are going to stay with you...stream and then mash up some squash, or other veggies to go with some salmon. Think about what you are eating before you be worried you have already done some damage. Call your doc. do they have a nutritions on staff you can speak too...they should be able to guide in the right direction for now.

Thank you all so much! I feel better today. I've done better today. I just have to keep my focus. I am going to start a journal and keep track of my emotions, and I'm also going to see a counselor next week. I am not going to blow this!

And by the way, I weighed on my scales today and had lost. Whew! Now, I just hope I haven't messed something up in there. No more screwing up allowed....well, at least not as much. I can't expect to be perfect, but I will be better!

Megster27, I was banded at Baptist by Dr. Spaw. How about you?

Oh! I think he is in the same office as my doctor! I was banded at Baptist by Dr. Morton. Are you going to any of the group meetings?

I'm pretty sure he is in the same office. One of his patients was right next to me right before surgery.

I probably won't go to the meetings since I live so far away. It takes me an hour and a half to get to Nashville from Cookeville. I have a friend at church who has lost over 130 lbs in 15 months with the lap band. She's my support. I'm also thinking of going to WW just to face the scale weekly.

Congratulations on still losing. This can be a tough journey. I was banded 8 days ago and already have thoughts of cheating. I sucked on an M & M yesterday - but I only ate the one.

I am in Crossville. My husband is from Cookeville. Its nice to meet someone from your own area! Best of luck to you!

Me and my husband were banded on 03/24/09 - and we feel EXACTLY the same way. We're able to eat a lot more and don't have any problems eating solid food. I'm glad to hear that we aren't the only ones. There are several people at my company who have done the surgery and all of them were complaining that it's hard to keep anything down. So we were feeling pretty down too.

My husband and I have to keep each other in check. Sometimes it's good - and I'll talk him out of eating something. Sometimes its bad - and he'll give in to something I'm craving. I know how you feel- but I know we've worked to hard to let the same habits creep back up.

We can do it!

Nice to meet you guys. I had 2 or 3 scary days before I started this thread, but I'm doing much better now. I wish the doc would give me a fill on Thursday, but he said it would be a month after surgery before a fill.

I'm not craving anything, which I find surprising--especially at this time of the month. I just can't believe that I'm eating this little and feeling satisfied. I wish I had done this years ago. I'm so anxious to get this weight off and have a life!

Good luck to you guys!

I think I'm eating too much too, but it is a far cry from what I used to eat.

I'm eating small portions, I think and good food for me. Lots of Protein. My doc isn't as strict on how long you stay on different stages.

I don't feel any restriction. They told me not to weight but it's so hard.

I started out at 1 1/2 wks out losing about 8-9 lbs., but now 2 weeks out I have only lost 6 lbs - I dunno I'm frustrated.

My port site has a 3 1/2" incision and my port is just barely under skin, like a knot there all the time. My pants bind it and it hurts. Don't know what to do about that. I kindof wish I had done the gastric, kindof impossible not to lose the weight.

So confused. I feel like I don't even have a band and I'm doing everything right - at least I think I am.

I'm only eating between 600 - 800 per day, low carbs and fat.

NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blink: