Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What CAN you eat?

After this last fill I find myself standing in front of the fridge/pantry asking myself what I can actually eat without being in pain. I don't have loads of moist chicken breasts just laying around and am finding it increasingly difficult to find something I can just make easily for Breakfast or lunch.< /p>

I tried eating an egg the other day and ended up "loosing it". oatmeal is a winner but not lots of Protein there. Other than FF refried Beans, SF pudding, salad, Soup, cottage cheese and chicken I'm pretty much at a loss. They are my staples. Oh, and please don't say Protein shake, I may just turn into one.

Any good QUICK and EASY ideas out there? Of course, I don't mean convenience foods, just not difficult to make.

Edited by Ineedalapband

Are you kidding? Oatmeal is an excellent source of protein! Not to mention Fiber. My last fill also brought a reduction in food choices. I'm just trying to focus on Protein right now. I make omellettes, tuna fish salad, hard boiled eggs, deli meats, etc. And Oatmeal has too many possibilities to list...

I still eat chicken - but it has to be cooked right. I've found that a lot of people OVER cook chicken. That makes it really dry and undesirable. Once the juices run clear - it's done.

And like Jack I have to eat really slow and CHEW CHEW CHEW.

Just experiment and be cautious as you go - you'll do fine!

Brad

Just coz oatmeal doenst have heaps of Protein like animal foods do doesnt mean its not a worthwhile food. Its full of other wonderful goodies and heaps of fibre, great for you. Particularly if you eat real oatmeal and not that stupid quick cook stuff.

How about soaking half a cup of rolled oats in orange juice or apple juice overnight and then in the morning adding a half a grated apple, some almonds and some berries and greek yogurt. Bircher muesli! Its absolutely fantastic and no cook. Or soak your oats overnight in a little milk and then they WILL be quick cook in the morning but still with all their nutrients intact.

I eat Cereal too - any normal muesli is good. I just avoid processed ones like cornflakes.

I also eat sandwhiches for lunch but if you cant eat bread, I keep some nice cheeses to hand all the time - brie, a fruit and nut cheese, maybe some edam or something smoked, add a few olives, some sundried tomatoes maybe, and a bit of cabana or salami (just a bit, its high fat) and a few crackers and that's a great lunch!

Today I made a mango and goats cheese salad that I had a recipe for, delicious. You just have to be organised and have the food on hand, its quick and easy if you actually have the ingredients.

Damn Jacqui! You're making me hungry. Now I'm going to have to swim over to your continent for lunch...

Brad

Edited by bambam31
error

I have a dedicated shelf in the fridge - that way I can find my food quickly. I also have a shelf in the pantry. I try to make it as easy as possible. If I spend too much time looking for food, I will find something else!

I love turkey meatballs. I found some that were premade in the grocery store, they are super easy, I usually just had some marinara and I am good to go, it is very filling. I also make sure to cook an extra piece of chicken, etc. when I do dinner, that way I have a leftover piece that I can use for lunches.

I have oatmeal every morning. It is quick and filling. If I don't do that, I just won't eat, I have never been a big breakfast eater.

There were some good food ideas listed, making me hungry!

Try egg beaters instead of regular eggs they go down better then a regualr egg (I don't know why) Imitation

crab legs worked for me as well. protien shakes are always good in the begining. I hope this helps.

I know exactly what you are talking about! I had been wondering why I could eat bread and other things when everyone said they couldn't. Well, after my last fill, I'm always trying to find something I CAN eat. chicken just doesn't work at all anymore. Neither does beef unless it's shredded and I'm very loose. So sick of yogurt and cottage cheese. Haven't found a really good Protein mixture, but still trying. Have just seen a few suggestions, but keep them coming! Getting frustrated!

I love fish myself. It goes down easy. Shrimp or crab especially. But so does tilapia, or mahi mahi. Just takes a bit and I precook it so it only takes a bit to warm some up on my lunch hour or make a quick "salad", like tuna salad for lunch. I don't do bread but find if I just add a little shredded lettuce to my tuna salad I think I am having a gourmet meal. LOL.

I find the Kashi Go Lean cereals aren’t bad either. The Original Go Lean has the most Protein but is a little boring so I buy a box of that and a box of the Go Lean Crunch and mix them: Add some skim milk and a few blue berries or raspberries and I’m happy. I live alone so I always throw thing away but I believe having good healthy ingredients/choices on hand is the key for me. You provided some great ideas there Jacqui thanks!

After my last fill it was tougher to find good things... I live on: Cottage cheese. Cream of wheat. Squash (any kind mushed up) or well cooked cauliflower with Tomato sauce and ff cheese. Tunafish with ff mayo. Beans and brown rice. Frozen low cal meals (most kinds are fine). String cheese/babybel light. Hummus. Rice cakes. Soups!

Thanks guys for the good ideas. I love me some hummus and just recently made some. Too bad I cant eat it with some pita bread! :grouphug: Carrot sticks work. Its worth it though. I tried to eat some leftover chicken fajitas tonight, it was a no go. I do enjoy Soups (especially a low fat chicken tortilla I make) too. I'll have to get some frozen healthy choice meals without rice/pasta (I have trouble with most carbs). I know they have lots of sodium but they would work when I'm in a pinch or am making something for the family that doesn't sit well with me.

Good ideas ya'll. Keep them coming. Thanks.

I have no trouble with pita bread in small bites. Bet after a few days, after being filled you can have some. It was a recommended bread by my nutritionist. I get a local brand Joseph's that is made with flax seed and whole wheat and has Protein and is a bit softer than regular pita. Very good and low cal and no cholesterol.

Or try wrapping a bit of humus in lettuce.

here what i like

lump white crab meat buy this in a pack at seafood counter at wal mart do not buy canned yuck...

cream cheese i like alot u can use as much as the whole 8oz pack

squirt lemon juice

chopped green onions

dash of hot sauce

blend well on high 1 min