Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those who lost weight fast.

Hello!! I know my post title may make some green with envy, but it has been quite a shock for me as well. I am 3.5 months post surgery, and I am down 53 pounds just since surgery!! Since January this year I have lost 87.5 pounds...crazy I know. But for those who have lost it fast as I have (mine is partially due to the fact I am only 20 years old, and my metabolism finally decided it wanted to work correctly), do you ever feel you could have done it without the band? I feel my band is the best decision I have ever made in my life, hands down...but I wonder sometimes. I know that once the weight is off, it will help KEEP it off, which is a HUGE hurdle for many just retro-dieting without any surgical aide. So yeah, just kinda wondering how anyone else feels about it, all information and opinions are welcome from ANYONE! Thank you guys!

Josh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

weight.png

Band Date: July 9th, 2008

Surgeon: Dr. Jeff Baker

Insurance: Medica

Heaviest Weight: 314.5

Current Weight: 227 lbs.

Goal Weight: 190 lbs.

Freedom is only a word until it is upheld by the roots of its meaning…

I lost very fast at first as well, in the first six months after surgery i lost 88 lbs. Needless to say i was quite thrilled. There is no way i could of ever done that without my band. Im in the home stretch now and its no easy feat. I just keep telling myself even it it takes another entire year to lose the last bit ........ I WILL DO IT!! Best of luck on your amazing loss!

Hi, I have lost 83 lbs i think since 7/23/2008. I just had my 3rd. fill today and I'm feeling real restriction for the first time. I have been walking a lot these last few months and I think that is the reason why I have been losing so fast. I also started out very heavy so that could also be a reason why I am losing so fast. I know it will slow down at some time so I want to lose as much as I can, while it is going so well. I still have a long way to go but I cant believe i am now at the weight i thought it would take me 10 to 12 months to get to.

bigpapa I feel the same way as you. I had surger on Aug 5 and have lost exactly 50 lbs. I know it will slow down, but am it has come off so fast. I guess we just need to be optomistic and realistic as well. I have only had one fill due to healing problems, and I feel no restriction, but with all the horror stories I read about on thsi website, I wouldn't dare experiment with my food. Wishing you all the best on your journey!

Hi,

Congrats on your loss. I was done just a bit before you, and I have lost 52 so far. Could I have done it without the band? Possibly. Would I have kept it off without the band? No. :mellow:

You are very fortunate that you are a young, healthy guy. Take advantage of, and use this wonderful tool you have been given till you get where you want to be (as I'm sure you will) :biggrin:

Hi Josh!

First let me congratulate you on your weight loss....WAY TO GO! It's been 3 1/2 months since I was banded and I've lost just about 50 pounds. I am so happy with my band...it's the best gift I have ever given myself. I know that I never could have lost that amount of weight in 3 1/2 months. As a matter of fact, I've never lost that amount of weight, even though I've been heavy since I was 6 years old (now I'm 45). The most I've ever lost was on Weight Watchers when I was in my 20's and that was 40 pounds. Since then, I've tried WW numerous times, just to go off the program and gain it all back plus some. So, to answer your question, no, I don't think I could have done this without the band. Good luck to you on your continued journey!

The key to losing fast is having a fill that works! I am over a year into this and have only lost 50 lbs. However, for the past five months, yes it took them that long to figure out I had a leak! Onward and upward now!

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but PigsRFlying, it seems everyone that has lost fast was 300lbs and over. I've found those of us with "lower" BMI's, and exercise moderately-our weight takes a little longer to come off.

Oh, to be a 20 year old boy, lol

I didnt lose fast, but I dont think I could have done it without the band. I was and am basically a healthy eater but I just tend to reward myself with food, add too many treats, use food to punctuate my day. I do it less now, but I'm inconsistent, I'll eat perfectly for three weeks and then terribly for two, I tend to cycle.

I could *always* lose weight, but once the cycle broke, I'd regain it. The band stops that for me, I still cycle, but the bad eating is not *over* eating anymore, its just not so organised and perfect food choices. So I just dont regain.

A really BIG part of my success with losing weight and keeping it off has been my running though. The band has nothing to do with that and had I run as regularly and been as dedicated pre band like I was back in my teens and early 20's I never ever would have become as fat as I did in the first place. I have a genetic disposition to be "solid" but not to be obese, that really happened to me because of the huge lifestyle change and lack of exercise/increase in boredom eating that tends to happen once you start having babies. The band keeps me thinner than I would naturally be but with my activity levels now, I really dont believe I would become obese again. I think I'd probably return to my "natural" 80 kg(180lb give or take), not a weight I was ever happy with but just chunky not really seriously overweight.

congratulations on your loss!! I am only one month out and have lost 35 pounds. That is a pretty good start, however im noticing now even tho im eating small portions three times a day and only snack is a v-8 to get in my veggies i barely eat. im crawling. however. i did start walking and have lost three pounds this week, didnt walk last night and went up by .3 pounds. My opinion is once i get to goal which is along way away lol. but hey im 1/4 there lol. is to ensure to keep up on fills if needed and watching any weight gain and even if a 5 pound fluctuate to call the doc right away. that is my plan anyhow. i am determined to keep this weight off for life!!!! Today is hard because we are having a sweet potluck with all sorts of Desserts. I just made sugar free Jello to take with light fruit mix. i will have some.. anyhoo back to subject. this is the best decision i ever made ever ever. i love my band. i havent even had a fill and i cant eat very much at all. im hoping with my first fill , it will give me good restriction. crossing fingers. im not worried about the regain later down the road because for me its all about upkeep for a lifetime.

I have lost 75 lbs in a little over 4 mos. There's no way I could've done that w/o my band. I am lucky as I have a dr. that is pretty agressive with fills and that has helped a lot. I have lost 60 lbs twice in the past, never have I been able to keep it off. As Jachut was saying, I'd cycle back up. What I am counting on is this band stopping that cycle and enables me to keep the weight off. It was so encouraging to read that it is helping her do just that.

I'm almost twice your age, but so far I'm down 6 inches of waistline in my first month. 44 to 38. I had to pull a stack of dusty jeans off the top rack in the closet to find some small enough.

My starting BMI was 37. Not sure on weight because I don't weigh myself. It's a little mind trick I have to use on myself because I associate weighing with dieting which is temporary and this is for life. I eat whatever I want just small quantities thanks to the band. Had pancakes and bacon for dinner last night, lol. But just 1/2 of 1 cake and 1 piece bacon. Unhealthy I know but it was a special occasion and that's what was available. I usually eat healthy meals.

My secret weapon is the Wii Fit. I can work out in private for at least 30 minutes a day 4-6 days a week, hard enough for a good solid sweat. I warm up with aerobics every time then do strength training every other time. I also take a 15 minute fast walk every day after lunch, which also helps me avoid the afternoon blahs. The more I work out the more I enjoy working out so for the first time in a long time I look forward to it instead of finding excuses. I can tell I'm gaining muscle, another reason I'm ignoring the scale. I also have bad memories of weighing myself everyday and getting too wrapped up in the normal day to day fluctuations and getting demotivated.

Everyone has something that will work for them. For me the band + Wii Fit is helping me turn from huge amounts of food + coach potato = fat pre-diabetic lump, into small quantities + active lifestyle = healthy, happy guy.

Um, no. I could NOT have done it without the band. What worked for me, I think, is that I was already a healthy eater, I just would eat mass quantities of food. I would try to diet by counting calories but eating less than 1800 calories left me crabby, miserable, hungry, and ill feeling. I would fail time and time again. Now, I eat anywhere from 600 to 1200 calories a day without those feelings. I dont obsess over food. I dont feel guilty when I eat. I dont look at myself in the mirror and agonize over my failures to eat in a manner that is healthy for me. I love my band. It has given me the control I did not seem to have before andit has given me my life back.