Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can any of you Ladies tell me about your scars after the surgery, Are they large???? Dark??? Ugly???? I am concern because women of color sometimes have problems with ugly scars, keloids, darkest. etc.... Thanks Ladies.. Gigi

Hi Gigi,

I am about 4 months out and my scars are healing quit well. They have always been small but as I heal they get smaller. There are plenty of pics on this site of other people scars, best wishes!

I am only 1 week post-op. I have four small scars and one larger one where my port is. I keloid so I am really trying to stay on top of them to prevent them from becoming keloids. I have been using Mederma on them and so far they haven't turned dark and hard. This cream is suppose to be really good for concealing scars. You can only use it on closed scars. Make sure that your scars have completely closed before starting to use it. You can buy it at any store. It is about $17 for a small tube. Yes it is expensive but if it works I don't care. When I get to where my bikini I don't want to have big ugly scars all over my belly.

I am less than a week post op so my incisions are still pretty new. I will say this, I don't know how much experience my surgeon had with people of color, but if the way they look right now is any hint as to what they are going to look like, I am NOT going to get to wear a bikini. EVER. My surgeon used sutures and glue to close them. They look so jagged and rough. They told me not to use anything on them for at least 2 weeks after surgery. All I can say is this, I would rather have ugly scars on a healthier/skinnier me, than to have a perfectly clear/fat stomach anyday!

My scars look great... not dark and ugly as you say. They are smooth and neat. As you well know black/ brown don't crack.

There is a thread here with lots of pictures of scars in progress. Check it out and see how some others are doing.

Curves

I had surgery last Monday. The last thing on my mind is a bikini. Hell, I've never worn one, but I digress.

My surgeon did a fab job at closing the incisions. I have nursed my steri-strips to avoid any movement of the incision site. Looks like they won't even be noticable in the coming year.

I have three keloid marks on my stomach from the surgery in 2007. I've decided to see a plastic surgeon next week to have this removed. I was seeing a dermatologist and having the keloids injected but after 3-4 visits that still hasn't reduced the scar.

All of my scars are gone away except for the port scar. I used Vitamin E oil on my scars starting 1 week post for 3 months.

Well, I haven't used anything yet on my scars. I was seriously thinking about it though. I will be a month tomorrow. I can say that they have been healing nicely, but I want them to be completely gone. I was suppose to get some Vitiman E. I guess I need to get on that, cause I truly don't want any evidence of surgery on my stomach. I want the port scar to be healed as well too. I don't know if I will ever wear a bikini, but I don't want my scars to be the reason. LOL!

My scars are healing very well. I don't keloid. But I still won't be wearing any bikinis once I get to my goal weight because I have terrible dark stretch marks all over my belly. I think the stretch marks have been more embarassing for me than the actual weight gain. Especially since I have no children! Would the Vitamin E work on them too, or is it too late?

My scars are healing very well. I don't keloid. But I still won't be wearing any bikinis once I get to my goal weight because I have terrible dark stretch marks all over my belly. I think the stretch marks have been more embarassing for me than the actual weight gain. Especially since I have no children! Would the Vitamin E work on them too, or is it too late?

Lol! :) I think I am with you on that. I forgot all about the stretch marks. We should try that vitiman E, and see what it does. I had no children and there no reason for my belly to have gotten this way, but we are on the way to a slimmer us. We will loose the weight and be hot in out bathing suits. We can just have low cut/ busty swim wear. :wink:

Lol! :crying: I think I am with you on that. I forgot all about the stretch marks. We should try that vitiman E, and see what it does. I had no children and there no reason for my belly to have gotten this way, but we are on the way to a slimmer us. We will loose the weight and be hot in out bathing suits. We can just have low cut/ busty swim wear. :wink2:

I was reading a post the other night, and she recommended Palmers Firming Lotion (for pregnancy and weight loss) and Bath & Body Works Bring Up the Rear Anti cellulite and Firming Lotion. So far I bought the Palmers Lotion and I will pick up the Bath & Body Works later. I figured I would use it as I'm losing weight. I tried it on my arms, and it seems like it might work. The person that posted the comment really raved about it.

We will loose the weight and be hot in out bathing suits. We can just have low cut/ busty swim wear. :rolleyes2:

I know that's right! My goal is to actually find one that will make me look busty though, because I know once the weight comes down, so will my cup size!

I had lap surgery that turned in to an open procedure. So a six inch scar/ 3 small incisions. I use shea butter and thye are healing well. I am having another surgery soon that could leave me with a 12 inch scar across my stomach. But in time that will heal too. I am nervous about hanging skin.