Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in less than 24 hours - FREAKING OUT!

Hi everyone!

My surgery is tomorrow at 1:00, and I am totally freaking out! I'm at work and having a really tough time concentrating on anything but the surgery. The more I think about it, the more scared and anxious I get. Any words of wisdom from anyone? Canyou think of any last minute things I need to take care of before surgery? I think I need a pill! :biggrin:

I know what you mean but for real it is nothing to be worried about. For me it was a breeze and still is. I didnt have any pain at all for real. Most of pain was gas. So go to store tonight and get some gas-x because you are going to need it. Good luck!

YOu will be fine. Granted I haven't gotten the band yet and just today got a referral from my PCP at Kaiser (So. Cali) to the "Options program", but I am sure you will be fine. They would not have scheduled the surgery, if you werent healthy to undertake it. That being said, next year or at the end of this year ... I want the same encouraging words from you when i am 1 day away from surgery ... lol ... Good luck and congratulations !!!:biggrin:

Relax! I was a hot mess the few days before surgery as well - worried about everything from "will I ever get to eat birthday cake again" to "Oh crap - what if I die!"

My doctor was greate - my anesthesiologist made sure to give me all sorts of good drugs so I had no nausea after surgery. I had my surgery at 7:30 am and was home by 3:00 pm (okay the bumps in the highway on the ride home were not very comfortable - but was much happier to be at home than in a hospital!)

I'm not going to lie to you - I was pretty sore for a couple of days - its surgery - it is going to hurt a bit - but now 3 weeks and 15 lbs. later I'm so happy I went through with the surgery! I feel like I'm on my way to managing my relationship with food in a much more healthy way - and am getting more and more healthy by the day. My type 2 diabetes is totally under control without medication - haven't had a day over 100 blood sugar count since two weeks before surgery.

Relax - pray - chant - do whatever you need to do to calm yourself down and remind yourself you're doing this for YOU - the best reason in the world!

I had surgery twice in one month. For me it was nothing. do NOT take any drugs your doc hasn't approved (I am sure you were kidding but still!) It's honestly nothing. I've had gum surgery that hurt worse.

hey, relax. i was banded 2 weeks ago in juarez mexico. went alone. i freaked out once i arrived and realized surgery was only 2 or 3 hrs away. stood in my room alone and had a mini-panic attak. seriously...i almost left! took some deep breaths, sat down, called my wife. once the 5 minute panic attack passed i was fine. everyone says it's a piece of cake, no biggie, whatever. it is a big deal. you put a lot of time and thought into this decision and lets be honest...surgery sucks!! you will have extra holes in you! that being said, relax. you should be a little freaked out about going under the knife, but you will be fine and once it's over you will be glad you went thru with it. trust me. good luck.

Thank you all for your responses. This is such an awesome support group! I think I've identified that I am most afraid of the anesthesia, like the moment they give it to and I start going under... How is that? Do you remember any of it?

it's nothing. It's not like sleep...but you are alert, then get kind of drowsy feeling (like you're sleepy) and then you open your eyes in recovery! Once in recovery you'll probably have an oxygen mask on (it helps you clear the anesthesia!) so take as deep breaths as you can. Once you're awake and alert they give you more pain meds and once you're stable (bp stays up, oxygen sats stay up etc ) you get to go back to the outpatient surgery area (if you're going home that day) or to the "floor" and your room (if you are staying overnight).

My chest felt sore like I'd done lots of sit ups, but I didn't have any nausea (some do, and if you do, they'll give you something for that too)

It's really not bad. I think it's kind of interesting. AND...I had sciatica and the anesthesia "cured" it. (no kidding...i guess when they paralyzed me it relaxed my muscles) that was a great side benefit! :omg_smile:

Restless monkey did the anesthesia really get rid of your Siatica issues? OMG I would love to get rid of my Siatica issues!

Yes ! I will say though that according to the chiropractor I had what's called "true sciatica"...in that it didn't involve my spine and just went down to my knee...didn't involve my back and all the way down my leg. He said my, um, gluteus maximus muscles were spasming and pinching my sciatic nerve and causing the pain. So when they "paralyzed" me it relaxed my muscles....and they quit spasming! LOL

I cannot tell you how glad I was. I'm careful now, trying to avoid as much as possible what he said caused it, and it hasn't come back at all.

Man it hurt. I couldn't even stand to pull up my pants at one point! (that was pretty dismal!)

Deep breathe-everything is going to be okay. I am a very anxious person and I got thru this surgery with ease. No pain, a little discomfort with gas. I was up walking and going to the bathroom as soon as I was wheeled back to my room. The only problem I had was I had to sleep sitting semi-upright on the couch for two days-it was uncomfortable flat. I took only Ibuprofen for pain for the first two days. I was out of work for only two days. This is very minor compared to gastric bypass. good luck to you

Lap Band Momma tell your anesthesiologist. If you know WHAT KIND of anesthesia (there are many many anesthetics) that would help. If you warn him or her about your nausea they can use a different drug or treat you for it. Good luck.

My surgery is set for 1230 tomorrow. I am so excited! I have been so busy this week that I havent even had time to get nervous. I do not like needles so my biggest and only fear is the IV. I know they will give me good meds to help me after surgery. I hope you will do very well and try not to worry. This time tomorrow the surgery will be over with and we will be on our way to a much healthier body and lifestyle.