Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! NEWBIE! Just banded- Should I have restriction?

I was banded on 8/26/08 and my Doctor says my new pouch will hold 2 to 3oz or 1/4 cup of food. I was just wondering if I'm supposed to have restriction this soon after surgery because I'm on the liqiud diet still but I can drink an entire Tomato Soup AT HAND which has 10 3/4oz. But when I'm done with that I do feel full. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? :thumbup::confused::laugh:

I don't know about the Soup since we can only have broth our first 2 weeks but yes if you think about it you are fine. The band is there but it isn't inflated. You are drinking something that is just liquid. So it goes on through easily. It's the same reason we aren't supposed to drink when we eat (once we're on solids)...the liquid will wash stuff on through. So I'd say you are just fine! I can drink anything (well, that's on my approved list) with no problems.

Some have some problems, and some people have some swelling or inflammation that restricts, but you and I apparently don't have that. It's normal! We're fine!

I'm right there with you. I was banded on the 27th and I can also do the 10 oz Soup easily. But as I recall, once the fills start, there is restriction.

Good luck,

Chris

Hayleyfunky2 not all of us get Protein the 1st week. I'm not supposed to have it until week 2 and there is a local doc (not mine thank goodness) who says no protein for 2 weeks. She needs to do what her doc says.....

I cannot stand one more Protein shake or Protein Drink...is there ANYTHING that makes this stuff taste even remotely satisfying...

No more strawberry, french vanilla or Tomato anything...UGH!

Can't wait to get to the babyfood/puree stage...

Hayleyfunky2- My doctor says i can have Protein if i want but its not crucial during my liquid diet but i have had a few Protein shakes and yes ive tried pudding and Jello.

RestlessMonkey- Thanks for all your help!

futureshrink- Try this Protein shake recipe, to me it tastes like a reeses Peanut Butter cup. Its the best one ive tasted so far...

8oz sugar free vanilla yogurt

2TBS creamy Peanut Butter

2 scoops of chocolate flavored Protein Powder

Mix until smooth in blender. Add ice if wanted.

Hayleyfunky2- My doctor says i can have Protein if i want but its not crucial during my liquid diet but i have had a few Protein shakes and yes ive tried pudding and Jello.

RestlessMonkey- Thanks for all your help!

futureshrink- Try this protein shake recipe, to me it tastes like a reeses Peanut Butter cup. Its the best one ive tasted so far...

8oz sugar free vanilla yogurt

2TBS creamy Peanut Butter

2 scoops of chocolate flavored Protein Powder

Mix until smooth in blender. Add ice if wanted.

Okay, I'll try it...and let you know...I can't stand them...ugh! But I LOVE peanut butter...yummy. Due to my height I have to try to get down 75 grams of protein a day. What the hell! Do they want me to puree a cow? I have only made 44 today and I am done for the day! I will try the peanut butter one tomorrow. Any other suggestions? :thumbup:

Take care,

Chris

Try using two scoops of Protein powder in each shake. It bumps up the protein and makes the shake taste better. I put half of a banana in my shakes to thicken them and make them taste better. It is still liquid and it really fills you up for twice as long.

Edited by Laura_MD

well keep your head up.. its not too long when you move on to the next stage.. i remember the hell month i went through 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after surgery bari-clear diet.. My dietitian and doctor preaches Protein protein protein so that is all I know.. All I can say is that you made it this far, and it is baby steps to a healthier new you, so keep strong and always been on the look for differnt drinks out there or differnt recipes. I personally love Muscle Milk Light Cookies and creme and this all natural protien powder made by life-basics found out sprouts.

I was banded on 8/26/08 and my Doctor says my new pouch will hold 2 to 3oz or 1/4 cup of food. I was just wondering if I'm supposed to have restriction this soon after surgery because I'm on the liqiud diet still but I can drink an entire Tomato Soup AT HAND which has 10 3/4oz. But when I'm done with that I do feel full. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? :thumbup::confused::laugh:

Hi, I was banded on July 29th and really, except for the first few days, did not feel any restriction at all for the first 4 weeks. I told my doctor and he said that is normal because the band has no ccs in it yet. Now I have my first fill-4ccs- but I still don't feel much restriction. I'm hungry about 1.5 to 2 hours after I eat. Now, I do try to stick to the 4 oz and 3 meals the doctor told me to do, but I do have Snacks. I excersise every day and am losing NO weight. It is frustrating but you will get to the right restriction where you don't feel hungry alot and really won't be able to eat alot. Just concentrate on getting healed right now. Drink/eat your Protein as much as possible. Good luck!

Hello Ladies,

This is my first e-mail and I have many questions also.. I just had my

surgery 9/3... I have been able to drink it seems as much as I want

and no restrictions at all.. Is that because my band isn't tightened yet? I agree on being soooooo burnt out already on the Protein shakes they are awful.... I'm just doing lots of liquids that were approved on my list and as often as I feel I need.... I am soooo surprised that I

haven't eaten for 6 days now and I'm not a total grump... Is that also normal for now.. Does it get worse after first I guess it's called fill.. It that what it's called when they tighten the band ???

Thanks for your being there !

Marti

Hello Ladies,

This is my first e-mail and I have many questions also.. I just had my

surgery 9/3... I have been able to drink it seems as much as I want

and no restrictions at all.. Is that because my band isn't tightened yet? I agree on being soooooo burnt out already on the Protein shakes they are awful.... I'm just doing lots of liquids that were approved on my list and as often as I feel I need.... I am soooo surprised that I

haven't eaten for 6 days now and I'm not a total grump... Is that also normal for now.. Does it get worse after first I guess it's called fill.. It that what it's called when they tighten the band ???

Thanks for your being there !

Marti

I am so excited! Tomorrow I get to move onto puree...oh joy oh joy! I am having such a hard time getting the liquids down at this point that I am almost not eating. :thumbup: I have been trying to come up with creative ways to get Protein down...but in all honesty...I can't stand the Protein Shakes. GAG!! ALthough there is one at my gym that I really like. Only I haven't been to the gym since the banding...only a few more weeks though and I can go back! Hooray!

Now if I can just go a day without a nap! That would rock. I get to go back to work on Thursday. Which is good since I am bored out of mind. :cry_smile:

Take care,

Chris

Hi there,

Since I am being banded on Tuesday, I am thinking that maybe I should do some shopping. Can you tell me what you had on hand for when you came home from the hospital? So far I don't have any of that information and thought I should be prepared. Eating less is one thing but having nothing in the house that I can eat is something else indeed.

I know that you are first restricted to liquids but what then?

Thanks,

Laura

Okay, I'll try it...and let you know...I can't stand them...ugh! But I LOVE Peanut Butter...yummy. Due to my height I have to try to get down 75 grams of Protein a day. What the hell! Do they want me to puree a cow? I have only made 44 today and I am done for the day! I will try the Peanut Butter one tomorrow. Any other suggestions? :biggrin:

Take care,

Chris

I had lap band on Aug 26th and I could just NOT do the Protein shakes. My doctor and nut had me drinking Carnation instant breakfast( no sugar added) with 2 percent milk. This is not as high in protein as other things but I did fine with this. It taste like chocolate milk and kept me very content. I cant do the nasty powders either. I tried the pre made shakes, the powder, even the supposedly tasteless powder, they all are gross. LOL! Luckily I am on mushy stuff now and loving it. I never thought I would love instant mash potatos as much as I do. I have some great ideas for mushy stuff that is delicious when you are ready for them.

I dont have a profile here. I just came here. I am a member at obesityhelp.com which is a nice forum as well.

ANyway, it sounds like we are going thru alot of the same things so I would love to share our experiences.