Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have keloid skin.

How has the scarring been with ya'll?

I'm really scared that I will have nasty nasty scars from the surgery.

I did tell my dr. and he was really good to me with the incisions.

I have 4 incisions, 3 small ones and 1 about 1 inch in length.

All look to be healing nicely now...but once the keloiding starts...oh boy. I'm so scared.

I once had wound cuased my the head of a nail (hammer nail) goin into my upper arm. The wound was really nasty and turned purple and all. Before it even was totally healed it started to Keloid. Now the acutal wound was the size of the head of the nail, which is pretty small. But after getting seroid injections from the keloid, it's this HUGE ugly thing that's always noticed when visible.

So here are what my scars look like right now...

heft_bandit-albums-heft-bandit-picture4523-3-4-cuts-2-days-post-op.jpg

there are medications that you can apply to your scars once they are healed. Maderma and another Scar Therapy. I've bought one from Mexico called Cicatricure that works wonders on my keloids.

I use Mederma...I bought it at Walgreens and it was expensive but it's working okay I guess. My incisions used to be hard underneath, but they're getting softer. I talked with my doctor and a guy I get tattoos from. He said the more melanin in your skin, the softer and more sensitive it can be. Therefore make sure to use creams and things suggested by your doctor to help with scar healing to minimize keloiding and things of that nature. My tattoo artist is white and he said he loves tattooing Black people because he can use a lighter touch with the needle and the tattoos always come out nice and last longer. He was really a studier of skin...I thought it was cool.

Cool Beans all!

I've got the Mederma and the CVS scilicon strips and will be looking into the Kelo Cote. Not sure if it's all usable at the same time, but I'm soo don't want to have ulgy scars.

OMG, looks like my largest scar is gonna keloid. I am gonna look into all of the meds to see which one is the best. :thumbup:

My largest incision has turned into a keloid, and on my next visit, I am going to find out what I can do about it. It's now hard, so I don't think anything topical will work. I may have to have it removed. I had one removed on my ear a few years ago, and it has not grown back

I sometimes wonder if it depends on the surgeon, when I had my tubes tied, my scars didn't give me any problems at all. My surgeon was a woman of color, and I wonder if she took more care. When I had my gall bladder taken out a year later, every scar is keloid.:biggrin: He used tape to hold my incisions together (I didn't think tape was going to hold my fat together):lol:. They spread very rapidly. :lol: I even asked about it and he said that everything would be fine.:tt2: I am hoping this surgeon will reuse some of the same points and possibly remove some of the scar tissue.

I too have keloid scarring from the band. I saw a dermatologist and had several steroid injection treatment-made the scar softer. I also used Bio-Oil (Wal-Mart), and a prescription strength of hydroquinone 4% to lighten my scars. Now I want to step it up because the scar is still visible and dark. Has anyone tried the Kelo Cote or Cicatricure?

Presurgery weight 260lbs

Banded 7/11/2007

Current weight 171lbs