Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope someone out there can help me......

:) I am trying to set a date for my surgery. i am wondering if the day after surgery i will be able to attend a class for about an 1 and 1/2 hours? i won't be driving myself and all i need to do is sit there. If not by the next day will i be able to handle it by the second day? :confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks so much!

The day after surgery might be pushing it, since you will still be on pain meds and sore. But if all you have to do is sit there you should be fine. The day after surgery i felt fine but everyones different. Good luck!! Keep us posted!!

I didn't feel much like leaving my house (really, my couch or bed) for about 4-5 days. I'm 44 and have a bad back and knees and was 200-ish pounds over a normal BMI, so if you're younger and fitter and less overweight (or just less of a wimp!) you may recover faster.

Good luck with your surgery!

Ebeth thanks you so much for the quick reply !!! i will definitaly keep you posted :)

I was fine the next morning after surgery. I even took regular liquid tylenol instead of my liquid Lortab. But by the evening, I was in so much pain from moving around alot and not to mention the gas pain.

You can probably stand being at school for an hour or so, but after that, I would go straight home and take some pain medication even if you aren't feeling too bad because it may hit you with a vengence later.

I am a nurse and we usually medicate our post op patients a full 24-36 hours after surgery. It is easier to prevent pain than to get rid of it when it hits you pretty hard. Plus healing is better when you keep the pain controlled. You are able to move around better and it doesn't hurt as much when you have to do those deep breathing and coughing exercises after surgery. Use your best judgement. Everyone is different and some of the other posters never experienced any pain of any kind; lucky, lucky.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

HUH! I guess I was an exception to the rule. I was back in the hotel within 5 hours of surgery and on an airplane within 24 hours of surgery. Took 2 planes (6 hours in the air, plus a layover of 1 hour), then a 2 hour drive home (I didn't drive, but could have). The only pain med I ever had was the lortab just before I left the clinic, and they insisted I have that even though I didn't think I needed it. I COULD have stayed at the clinic another 24 hours and the hotel for another 24 hours after that, but what was the point? I felt great! I had no gas, no pain. I DID take an afternoon nap the first 3 days I was home, which was so not like me. I guess what I'm saying is - it depends entirely on YOU. I had a friend who had the same experience as me 3 years earlier, so I EXPECTED to feel great after surgery. Could that have been part of it? BTW I was 59 when I had the surgery, my friend was 36, so age doesn't necessarily affect this. Was it the experienced surgeon we had? I also had a hiatal hernia repaired.

Hi, I was banded on June 27th and I deffinetely can tell you that I didn't move much for the first 2-3 days. I really don't think you will be able to go to your class, the pain meds make you really drowsy and tired. I would time the banding so that you don't have to be anywhere for the first 3 days (at least). Good luck!!!

the day after my surgery, I rode with my ex husband to take my kids to camp. I was a little sore, but did fine. Just don't take the heavy duty pain meds.

I was banded July 14th - and all I can say is no way would I have been able to go to class the next day.

Maybe you could plan your surgery for a Friday, so you would have a couple of days to rest over the weekend.

I was very sick after my surgery due to the anastasia. I slept most of the entire first day. The second day I was able to move around in my house, but I would not have been able to go to class. By the third day I was doing a little better and drove to the store. After being out for about an hour, I was exausted. Good luck, and every situation is different.

I wouldn't schedule anything for the day after surgery. I was able to walk around and stuff, but I didn't do all that much. You're still too punchy from the drugs, etc. I never took any pain medication and was able to sleep no problem.

Even with how great I felt, I still felt I needed to kick it into low gear for a couple of days.

Give yourself time to heal. This is how people hurt themselves or the band.