Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1/2 way there and getting scared

Banded Jan 22nd, down 70 lbs with 55 to loose, the problem is that I am starting to look at myself and going YUCK! Has anyone else experienced that? When I was first banded, it was great shedding the pounds, receiving compliments, cleaning out the closet. I even joined a gym and go every weekday morning before work. The problem is the last couple of weeks, it seems the more "fit" I get, the more flabby some of it becomes. My stomach, inner thighs, even my teeth seem to have shifted leaving a gap that I didn't have 6 months ago. Does that feeling ever go away? It has given me the thought that my body is like a balloon and I need keep it from deflating so that it looks better than empty with that wrinkled look.

I have really been surprised how well I have done mentally through this whole process, but the last couple of weeks my motivation is going the other way and it really has me scared to go on.

Did anyone else experience this, what was your plan of action?

I can understand how you'd feel like that. I was banded December of last year & down 70lbs but feel uglier than ever. The combination of saggy skin , low self-esteem, & not being used to how I look now, makes me feel uncomfortable looking at myself. I (almost) don't like how I look now.

wow... U know i was kind of afraid of that... Thats why I am going to start toning excercises now not saying that will be the key to the problems... But another thing that should be covered under your insurance is when u loose a certain amount of weight as long as your Dr. says it is medically necessary your insurance will cover a Tummy Tuck and a thigh lift...or body lift.. that is what i am going to do if the skin looks too horid.... i am going to try to avoid the plastic sug. because i know the recovery will be really hard, but thats where my short term disability comes in at.. and i have a best friend that is willing to be with me next summer to help me because she went thru a tummy tuck and really needed someone to wipe her butt...lol... but the issue can be fixed...

I have excess skin, I don't like it but I have decided to get it removed. Keep moving chica, don't let this get you down...you are in the midst of a beautiful transformation.

ismt getting rid of excess skin same as Tummy Tuck?

in my case it is quite a bit more. since pre-op i have lost 200 lbs so i need the works, lol. tummy tuck, arm lift, lower body lift, and i even have excess skin on my back!

They can remove the excess abdominal skin without doing a full Tummy Tuck, it is called something like a paniculectomy. The difference is, there is no muscle repair or tightening, and often no liposuction to contour the new shape.

I am about 5 1/2 weeks out from a full Tummy Tuck, and it was not something I needed great help with. Never anyone to wipe my backside!! The incision is healed now, and I can remove my compression this coming Tuesday----yay!!!! The PS removed 12 pounds of skin and flab. I began my lap band journey at 289 pounds in a size 22/24. When I went to have my TT I was 184 pounds and in a size 14. I am now 175 pounds and in a size 8-10 misses or a juniors 11. I am 5'9" tall----so it is stretched out a bit--but I have my life back!!!!!

If you get a chance to get the skin removed, or a TT---or whatever surgery you think will improve your ability to move or to feel better about yourself---DO IT!!!

As for insurance paying. It has to be proved to be a medical necessity. If you get rashes or skin breakdowns, now is the time to see the Dr. for them and have them documented. If the excess weight from overly large breasts is causing back problems, now is the time to have it medically documented. Waiting til the time for PS is not going to be enough. They want proof you have tried other things, or that it is an ongoing problem.

Good Luck to all of you. You will learn to love your new selves when the realities of what you are now able to do hits you. I feel like I may be pushing 50---but I feel better than I did at 30-----and a helluva lot more capable of actually doing it!

Kat

of course everyone's pain level is diffrent and everyone's recovery will be diffrent. Just like when I was banded.. with some people it was nothing for them to recover they didn't have any issues with their pain meds..but me... I didn't take to well to the pain meds... they made me sick.... Not saying that everyone that has a Tummy Tuck will need someone to wipe their butt.. but i have learned by being a single parent of 1 and living alone... it is always safer and better to be prepared for the worst... and when things turn out better that is always a +++ My friend had muscle repair and i can't recall how much fat and skin they removed.. but she had Lipo as well in her upper back...

I was very "lucky" in the fact that I actually did not require much Lipo at all. Mostly in my upper abs. I had lost every bit of butt I ever had.....and did not have issue with love handles, or excess in the flanks. I had exercised like crazy and really tried to work with my band, as far as developing healthy eating habits, but the belly, she was there to stay----nothing I did seemed to make a difference!! The places I already lost weight got skinnier, and the belly remained. It was sooooooo disgusting!!!! LOL

You are right for sure, plan for the worst and hope for the best!!! I was just meaning, not to scare anyone off thinking they would HAVE to have someone to wipe them.....soooooo glad I didn't!!!

LOL

Well we are off for a motorcycle ride!!

Take Care

Kat

Honey we all pretty much know (or will know) what you are going through, I have lost and gained and the one spot that always stuck around either in skin or fat was my 'pooch'. But look at the alternatives, now you are getting so healthy and in shape and just feeling so much better (physically at least). To be honest I would rather deal with the skin then the fat.

Check with your insurance, some have riders that if you have had WLS you automatically qualify for plastic surgery, some you have to have rashes and just general medical issues with the excess skin. Mine (tri-care) automatically qualifies me for plastic surgery with WLS (I THINK, I am still researching it and so far all the reps have told me I qualify since I had WLS)

Thank you all for you help and support. What has shocked me is the mental thinking that has me at a standstill. I have been able to move forward through this entire ordeal at a great pace and then BAM it seems like I want to shut it down all because of fear. Today I am really going to try to focus on getting back into the game and conqueor this mountain and keep moving forward. I'm going to knock fear out of the way so that I can achieve what I set out to do.....looking great in 2008!

I have some saggy skin, mostly in my legs but to be honest, when I look at a picture of myself at my highest, I know I look waaaaayyyy better now.

I do some "strategic dressing" to hide the saggy parts and show of what's more toned. Even the thinnest people have trouble areas. Maybe at some point I'd have something done surgically for my thighs but in the meantime, I just work with my wardrobe.

My aunt who hasn't seen me in months came for a visit yesterday. We were sitting at the table looking at old photos and I caught her staring at me. She said, "I'm so sorry to stare but you look so beautiful, like a movie star" That did it. I'm not worried about a little saggy skin after receiving a compliment like that.

Kat,

I was just thinking about insurance vs. PS reasonings this weekend.

I moved this weekend and my bras are not made for that kind of workout! I have a rash on the top of my stomach and the underside of my breasts. I also have a stinging sensation under the flap of my stomach.

I'm down 70 since surgery and have 70 more to go, but I was wondering if I should see the doctor about the rash NOW, and show documentation for it. I know PS is in my future...

But, in your post you mention that the insurance co. wants to see that you've tried other things.

If I may ask, what else did they need to see for you? What documentation did you show, and how long did you have to wait for approval?

I'm really worried about the loose skin. My under arms wave longer than I do, my belly is hanging lower than it did, my breast are more saggy without the support of my big belly, and my butt is a helluva lot lower than it used to be.

I love the weight loss when I'm wearing jeans and t-shirt, but the naked effect is similar to a melting candle.

well crapola I had a huge long reply and then my screen shut down and lost it.

I will sum it up for you, DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT every little bump, rash and pimple that you think might have to do with excess skin. Don't give those vampiric insurance slags a reason to deny you.

Yup that sums it up, but my first was so eloquent and firm. Stupid fingers...

...Don't give those vampiric insurance slags a reason to deny you. ...

Although not eloquent, this description was definitely accurate and creative at the same time!