Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to say that I've read a few threads about Hair loss and I am quite concerned about that. Is this true for only a few of you or is everyone going through this. I was under the impression that since the stomache is intact that there would be no nutritional deficiencies so I find this side effect quite odd. Can anyone give me some input on this?

A reason for Hair loss I was told are lack of Protein and the anasthesia from surgery can do thisas well. I have been banded for 1 year now and I still lose hair so when I see more hair then normal I know I need more protein in my diet.

I'm newly banded but my stylist told me that a lack of protien will also make your hair bail out. You should always be aware of the protien you take in. On the up side we loose 200 to 350 hairs a day, if your hair is short you may not notice it but if you have long hair it looks like your loosing more than you really are. If you feel Hair loss is out of hand see your doc it may be due to something else.

Mamadiggs

Staramorcita, my hair loss after surgery was exactly comparable to that I experienced after the births of my two children. About 4-5 months after the bodily trauma, I had pretty significant amounts of hair fall out. But only temporarily, and after a month or so it had slowed down considerably. At one point about 6 months after surgery I had a haircut, because long hair looks worse when it's thin than short hair. But that was it, and my hair is all back now and better than ever.

It's definitely not a permanent effect. And I've been told time and time again that by the time you notice any thinning on your head the worst is far behind you and it's growing back in.

Yeah I lost a lot of hair with my two kids and I'm not happy about repeating the process. LOL!! But I guess there are worst things like being 100 pds overweight!!!! I look forward to becoming part of the bandster family!!

I too am losing hair, but I think I haven't been eating as well because I had too much restriction. My band is just starting to loosen up after 1 1/2 months since my fill and for the last couple of days I have been eating pretty well, I also started taking Vitamins, hopefully that should help.

This was on a post on smartbansters and was said by Jessie:

The reason your hair is falling out is because you are losing weight. It's very common with any form of weight loss. It is not a shortage of Protein, Biotin, estrogen or anything else. It's just a side effect of weight loss. It will last a month or two and all your hair will grow back. Nobody has ended up bald yet --except for the guys who started out bald. Take a Multi-Vitamin every day, eat your Protein first, use gentle hair care products and be patient.

Sometimes people have Hair loss from any anesthesia, any trama, child birth, and occasionally people even have another disease or scalp condition. If your hair loss is severe and doesn't resolve in 6-8 weeks consult with a doctor or dermatologist. Usually by the time you notice it the hair is growing back. If you look right at the hair line you can see a little fuzz coming in. Hair loss related to losing weight is temporary, self-limiting and completely reversible. It really will be OK but it's perfectly normal to freak out about it.

My doctor said the same thing, and he said it is hormones that causes it.

My hair was falling out in buckets according to the lumps I found in my drains. But I never noticed a difference in what my hair looked or felt like. It all grows back so fast, you can't even notice it. It's not like I had balding Patches or anything.

Yup, mine fell out like that too, but it only got thinner and nobody really noticed it except me! It is already starting to grow back in now. I cut about 5 inches off it to make it look a little thicker, and it did help.

Mine started falling out when I was at 4 months post-op.

Glad this thread was started...

Im almost 10 months post surgery and my hair is falling now more then ever.

I just noticed mine coming out a lot & I was banded almost 5 months ago. I've heard a lot of people say it happens a lot at 4-5 months. And here (or hair) I thought I avoided it.

man, that sucks. that is something i won't look forward to at all!! i already have very baby fine, thin hair. AAAAAARGH!!! Maybe I will get good at scarves and hats for the rest of my life? ugh, that sucks. you all are depressing me now!

princess; just think how beautiful you will look thin in a scarf or hat ,. my hair is thin also really dont have must to lose in the 1st place.