Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why are people such HATERS!!!!???

I have decided that lap band surgery is definatly for me, goodness knows how long i have been struggling with my weight. Anyway i went to my nurse as advised by my doc to talk to her about loosing weight. As soon as i mentioned lapband she just went off on one: "i have known so and so person who has had it done and it hasnt worked for them", "its not a quick fix to loose weight" (which i tried to explain to her that i know, ultimately i am the one who has to loose the weight, but controlling and managing what i eat) but did she wanna listen...ohh no!! "surgery doesn't work" i told her to come to this website and thousands upon thousands are living proof it DOES!

even when she was telling me about the stories of how it went wrong, i had to correct her half way through and tell her that the person she was referring to had gastric bypass and not banding. By the time i came out of the office i felt so small, and was on the verge of crying my eyes out!!

why is it always the people that have had no issues with their weight and dont have a clue, what it is like to be over weight, are always the first one to shun surgery?? I have researched for years and making the decision to undergo surgery is not one that i have taken lightly. But staying the way i am now, is pushing me towards and early grave, and i refuse to walk that path any longer and have taken the stand to do something about my weight. As mentioned i have spent a very long time doing my research and am not naive, i know that things can go wrong and they do go wrong. But if i stay the way i am, i not even giving myself a chance. I have seem both the positives and negatives and have made an informed choice.

When i came home i was so upset, but i am STRONGER than that, i know 100% that the lapband is what I WANT and its people like her that convince me EVEN MORE SO that i know im doing the right thing and pushes me to go further and prove them wrong!

So i say not only for myself, but for people that have had people trying to talk them out of the lapband, if you know that it is for YOU. Go for it, and don't let the haters stand in your way!

The more people hate the STRONGER I GET!!:)

You go girl, you can and will do this. After you lose all the weight, make it a point to go back and see her. Good luck to you!!!!!!

Yes i know exactly what you mean! I believe some people just dont like overweight people to have an option like surgery to make them happier and healthy. I think that some folks hear about 1 surgery that went wrong and they automaticly assume everyone's surgery is gonna go wrong. Its almost like they are trying to talk you out of helping your self to be a confident and happy person. Those people just make me stronger too!

Hey Texgal!

I am really up for it, and am going to put in 100%, and i WILL go back and show her how it DOES WORK!

:lol:

You go girl, you can and will do this. After you lose all the weight, make it a point to go back and see her. Good luck to you!!!!!!

About a year ago I went to my family doctor and talked with him about getting the lapband , he advised me that he had been going to a personal trainer 3 times a week and had lost 22 pounds (he is over weight) and that I should take the money I was spending on the lapband and go to a personal trainer - I laughed and told him I did not make the kinda of money he makes so a personal trainer was kinda out and my insurance would cover all but $300 of the lapband. I asked him what he thought about Dr. Teel (Lapband doctor) and he said he liked him and had seen his “Pony Show”. I love my family doctor still - so a year later when I went to him to get the paperwork filled out for the lapband I asked if he was gonna be mad at me for getting it and he said “No, but I don’t have to keep my mouth shut if you come in here complaining about it” so we have agreed to disagree. Side note: Looked like he had gained some of his weight back .

I had my banded done last Wednesday and believe it or not the Anesthesiologist came in acting like a real jerk said “What are you having this done for?” and then made a comment that my husband should be on the table not me. After he left the Nurse apologized for the way and acted and said he had no right to say that - it did not bother me (of course I was on drugs lol) I do what I feel is good for me and that is all that matters. My dad said I would not have let that guys put me to sleep after acting like that!!! Probably right but I wasn't thinking clearly at the time.

I also tell everyone that I had it done and I’m sure there are people saying things behind my back :lol: and that is ok too!

All has been going GREAT so far I am GLAD I had it done!!!!!

Hey!

Her negative attitude is so bad, and i feel for the next person who walks into her room and isn't as strong and determined to stand up for what they want. I think thats a true point you mentioned, just because it goes wrong for one, don't tarnish everybody with that same brush. Doesn't mean that it will go wrong for you also. CANT WAIT TO BE BANDED and on the road to a new and improved me! :lol:

Yes i know exactly what you mean! I believe some people just dont like overweight people to have an option like surgery to make them happier and healthy. I think that some folks hear about 1 surgery that went wrong and they automaticly assume everyone's surgery is gonna go wrong. Its almost like they are trying to talk you out of helping your self to be a confident and happy person. Those people just make me stronger too!

alot of people look at fat people as lazy. I had never been over weight, i am the mother of 6 children. After there births I just went back down to 140-150 pounds. When I had my daughter at the age of 30 I gained so much weight and could not lose it. I had never been overweight my whole adult life, but now I am. I have lost 40 pounds in 2 months and I am never looking back. Do what is best for you and dont worry. When I started my lap band journey I was in nursing school. I had my whole class telling me not to do it, so talk about pressure. I made my own!!!! decision and am now living with a lapband.

I think some people simply don't understand. If you have never struggled with a weight issue, it is easy to make assumptions about how people should or should not lose weight.

You are doing the right thing in doing what is best for you and forgetting about any negatives that people relay. Of course there are risks and perhaps the band may not be as effective for some people as they hope. However, what is the risk of doing nothing . . . or just the same things you have always done.

I would say for every naysayer there are always a ton more people that are encouraging or supportive. Focusing on the positive and forgetting everything else seems to be the way to go.

Hey!

You were good, if that was me, i would said a few choice words to him, but in saying that....what an ***hole!! But he was still happy to get paid for doing the procedure. And a coward to say it while you were not thinking clear from the drugs!

Well done on your losses, and keep up the hard work!!!

About a year ago I went to my family doctor and talked with him about getting the lapband , he advised me that he had been going to a personal trainer 3 times a week and had lost 22 pounds (he is over weight) and that I should take the money I was spending on the lapband and go to a personal trainer - I laughed and told him I did not make the kinda of money he makes so a personal trainer was kinda out and my insurance would cover all but $300 of the lapband. I asked him what he thought about Dr. Teel (Lapband doctor) and he said he liked him and had seen his “Pony Show”. I love my family doctor still - so a year later when I went to him to get the paperwork filled out for the lapband I asked if he was gonna be mad at me for getting it and he said “No, but I don’t have to keep my mouth shut if you come in here complaining about it” so we have agreed to disagree. Side note: Looked like he had gained some of his weight back .

I had my banded done last Wednesday and believe it or not the Anesthesiologist came in acting like a real jerk said “What are you having this done for?” and then made a comment that my husband should be on the table not me. After he left the Nurse apologized for the way and acted and said he had no right to say that - it did not bother me (of course I was on drugs lol) I do what I feel is good for me and that is all that matters. My dad said I would not have let that guys put me to sleep after acting like that!!! Probably right but I wasn't thinking clearly at the time.

I also tell everyone that I had it done and I’m sure there are people saying things behind my back :lol: and that is ok too!

All has been going GREAT so far I am GLAD I had it done!!!!!

I feel you. The first doctor I went to told me the surgeon wouldn't allow me to have the lap band because of my size. Then I went to the surgeon and he said he thought it was the perfect choice for me. So you see, one person will say something as if they're the sworn expert on the topic and have no friggin' clue what they're talking about. You've got to do the research and gather a multitude of opinions and make the final decision for yourself. Yes I think I was a bit niave going in. I knew I'd have to work hard after surgery to get the results I wanted but maybe I didn't realize just how hard. I'm realizing that more and more but guess what..it's not making me want to give up. It's acutally making me want to try harder so that when I do get down about 100 pounds, I'll be able to look back and say that was (almost) all me. I did that! Something I never thought was possible. Prove the naysayes wrong that's always the best way to shut them up. And now that I've had my surgery. I know of at least 20 people who are thinking about it for them!

GG......you go for it!!!!! Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. I'm LIVING proof that it can! Before my lap band surgery, I had several people tell me I was too heavy and it wouldn't work for me. I made my mind up then and there I was going to show then all and I have. One of the ones that said that to me had the gastric bypass and now...she's gained nearly all her weight back and actually is checking into getting a lap band. So, don't let what anyone says make you doubt for a nanosecond your decision. With your attitude, you will do great! Good luck and stick to your guns!

You need to do what is right for you. Remember that nurses are people too, and there are knowledgable ones and and ones that think they are. My advice would be to talk to a nurse in a bariatric doctors office. They would be the ones who could really answer your questions, but in the end the only person who's opinion counts is you.:lol:

I was told by so many people the same thing.. It doesn't work... It's not the quick fix... etc.... I will tell you something that I think noone really knows until after they do the surgery and that is .... It is very very hard.... but.... So worth it...... I had my surgery March 30th and I lost 50.6 pounds so far - i have to loose about 90-100 more but I really try not to look at the road ahead of me because I will get depressed - I look at the how well I am doing ... and how amazing I am starting to feel and how when my son who is ONE turns two or three he will not know his mommy as being fat.... This surgery is saving my life and I am willing to bet it is saving or saved hundreds of peoples lives. Please understand that that as wonderful as having Lap Band surgery is you MUST work it right... I know people that that drink Milk shakes everyday because they go down real easy and people that eat ice cream all day long - Need I say they do NOT loose weight like they should - I am not saying you could NEVER have those things but my theory is "loose the weight first" by eating good healty food and then if you want an occasional ice cream - then it will be ok.. Anyway you get my point... I eat very little (enough to get me through the day) maybe 2 oz of protien / 1/4 cup of a carb and 1/2 cup veggies for lunch and dinner and an egg with a slice of toast and 1/2 cup fruit for breakfast... a lot of Water during thr day and I am having great sucess - after my inital loss - I am loosing 2 pounds a week consistantly... If u need to talk I will be here... Best of luck to you...DO THE SURGERY

GG, when I went for my initial appointment to get the letter of referal my doctor gave me the speech about how the band will work fine if I used it correctly but he had seen patients gain all the weight back. I did not want to hear that at all. He did sign the letter and he was encouraging because I have diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I must say that since I started the pre-diet and got banded two weeks ago, I have lost 25 pounds. People should be supportive of you and your struggles with weight. I have not told anyone at my job except my boss because I do not want to hear the negative comments or have to cuss anyone out for getting in my business. Stay the course and remember that you are doing this for you and no one else. Good luck.