Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well...I was banded on friday at approximately 1pm. I thought that I would give a run down of the days events for anyone that was interested. I've been trying to keep track of everything until I was able to sit for an extended period of time to type. Today is the first day that I was able to do that.

On the day of surgery I showed up at 10:30am. I filled out the last minute paper work...and provided the copy of the living will to the receptionist. My husband and I waited in the waiting room for about an hour before we were called back. From the moment we arrived I was treated with respect and kindness from every person that I encountered at Magee Women's Hospital. I'm hyper critical of hospitals so this should say something. Anyway, I was asked to undress and put on the gown and booties. I brought a little carry-on piece of luggage so that my husband could store all of my stuff in there and not have to carry my big pink purse around.

I met with the anesthesiologist, the NA, the surgeon, and the RN. The RN started my IV. The surgeon came in to ask if I had changed my mind or if I had any questions. A bit before 1pm the NA came in and started chatting with me and wheeled me into the hallway right outside of the OR. She gave me some medicine to calm me down and we talked about our kids and schools. She wheeled me into the OR and continued to talk to me in a very calm voice. She promised that she would take good care of me and that she was excited that I was going to have a new perspective on life in a couple of months.

I woke up around 4pm in the recovery room. I woke up coughing which was very painful...but less painful than when I had my gallbladder out. The nurse immediately gave me some morphine to take the edge off before they got my pain button hooked up. The morphine took the edge off in a couple of minutes...although I would say on a scale from 1-10 I was at a 6-7. With some shallow and consistent breathing I was able to keep it together until they hooked up the pain pump with dilauded. The dilauded was wonderful and allowed me to sleep for a while but when the nurse came to check on me I was still coherent enough to communicate with her. I don't like being out of control, so the idea of having a medication that allowed me to still maintain control of my faculties was important.

I spent a significant amount of time in the recovery room as there were no vacancies on the bariatric floor. I was not brought up to my private room until approximately 8pm. Now...some people would be upset about this, but my care was so wonderful in the recovery room that I wasn't upset at all. The check on me all the time and made sure that I was confortable. The nurse would come over and sit with me and made sure that I had everything that I needed. In addition...I heard her calling and yelling at the people to get me a room...so I knew that she was advocating for me. One thing that was concerning was that there was blood in my urine...I had thought that I had dealt with a quickly approaching UTI by getting on Cipro for three days but apparently it wasn't taken care of and when they put the cath in the blood was pretty heavy. That was very scary and my doctor was concerned. He made sure to have me tested and put me on two different types of antibiotics while still in recovery.

I was brought to my room at approximately 8pm where I met my nurse and nurses aid. They were wonderful and worked so efficiently to get me hooked up and comfortable. They had to take blood and a MRSA swab and made sure that my antibiotics were taken care of. The also made sure that I was given some extra pain medication because I went about 15 minutes with interrupted pain meds. I was not permitted to have any liquids...but was provided with a drip that kept me hydrated. They came in through the night to take my vitals and to see if I needed anything. At approximately 4am I was asked to get up and walk the halls...and this was ridiculously hard for me...but I did it! And the nurse encouraged me the whole way. I never felt any nausea or weakness. I was being provided with nausea medication though...and while I was glad for it...I don't think I needed it.

On Saturday I was presented with two more nurses and a nurses aid. Each of them were equally as wonderful as the previous days. I was woken up at 7am to prepare for the Upper GI. I was petrified of the Upper GI...but it went surprisingly well. Before the UGI I was given a prilosec and potassium pills to swallow...I was sick about it...but they went down just fine. I was only permitted to take them with 30cc's of Water. I was wheeled to radiology where I was asked to stand infront of the machine. The technician, who works specifically with bariatric patients, was wonderful and made the process quick and painless. I was asked to drink two different types of barium...a clear and a white. Both of the cups contained no more that 60cc's of barium. The whole process took less than 15 minutes and then I was on my way back to my room. When I got back to my room I was taken off of the pain button and transitioned to the Roxicet. The Roxicet changed my life! I'm not kidding...I felt like a totally different person. With the Roxicet came more walking. I was still hooked up to the glucose and potassium and antibiotics but I was able to walk far longer and further with the new pain killer. As I walked I started to feel better and things started to move. However, I still hadn't burped or passed gas or anything like that. They also took the cath out and I was asked to collect my urine to make sure that everything was voiding as it should. They were only worried about the urine...nothing else.

At around noon on Saturday my surgeon came in and asked me how I was feeling. I told him that I was uncomfortable but OK. I also told him that I was afraid of going hom because of the dogs! He was so wonderful....the man actually sat with me and discussed the best strategy regarding where I should sleep and where the dogs should be during the day. Too cute. He again went over the importance of following the clear liquid diet for a week and then full liquid for two weeks. I met with the dietician after he left and the respiratory therapist for the second time after her. It's so important to do those deep breathing treatments...especially if you are a smoker or a recovering smoker. He told me to take it easy and that he would fill out my discharge papers...but if I didn't feel comfortable leaving then I should stay.

My husband and son came to visit...and my son said that he missed me and that he wanted me home. He gave up his bed because his is lower to the ground. We decided that they were going to come back and get me around 6pm. We have a fairly large SUV so he borrowed my parents car to come get me as I'm really short! The nurse gave me a dose of Roxicet at 5:45pm and I was absolutely find for the 20 minute car ride home. I walked up the 15 steps to my house just fine...and decided that it was best for me to sit in a fairly rigid upright chair until today.

Last night was a bit difficult for me. The gas really started to hurt last night and today...but today I started to really move things along with the gasx strips. They are wonderful. I also went to the bathroom for the first time today...number 2...and I feel like a relatively normal person today. I'm still uncomfortable...but it really is only discomfort and not pain. I have a follow up visit with my surgeon on Wednesday at 11:20am. They called and set that appointment up for me, which I thought was great.

Thus far I've had the following to drink...

Water

1/2 water and apple juice

1/2 water and peach mango juice

chicken bullion

beef buillion

chicken broth with a dash of soy sauce

green tea crystal light

fruit punch crystal light

two spoonfools of italian ice

two sips of Decaf coffee

None of it was irritating or nauseating.

So...that's my story! Today is much better than yesterday....

Edited by Lunabeane

Today I'm doing much better. I had to write my post in smaller posts because we are having terrible thunder storms and I was afraid that I would lose them. Which is why the post may have seemed to cut off as you were reading.

thanks for posting!!

my surgery is this thursday, and i'm still a little nervous about the procedure

so, how are you feeling!?

and may i ask, how old are you??

I took the plunge on Tuesday the 12th. I was pretty uncomfortable going home and sleeping was no picnic. All of the pain seems to be subsiding except for the damn shoulder pain from the anestsia. I cannot beleve I am looking forward to mushy foods. What is this world coming to.

Jon

I'm 34 and have a very physical 7 year old son. I was absolutely petrified going into surgery. In fact, my surgeon and anesthesiologist ok'ed xanax before the surgery. My pain was never so bad that I regretted my decision...but I knew that it was time to leave the hopital. I was starting to feel claustrophic being hooked up to the IV's. The level of care and kindness that was provided made all the difference. I really feel good about the whole process today. I'm all snuggled down in my sons lego bed with the lap top on a Breakfast tray. My goal is to go for a walk tomorrow if the rain ever stops.

Good luck to you!

No doubt...the gas pains are the worst. I'm not sure I have any incision pain at all...the gas pains in my stomach and in my left arm are crazy.

I to have problems with claustrophobia/bipolar. I take Klonapin and that usually cures the panic attacks. I strolled into the operating room like I was going to a banquet bur when I was out and hooked up to all of the crap especially the leg pumping things I started to freak out. My wife and sister-in-law were right to witness all of this. SIster-in-law is a day surgery nurse from the unit over and was able to keep me calm till they got a shot in me. Of course the same thing happened later that night. I just kept the leg things off and I felt better.

Did I mention that my 7yr old daughter punched me right in the port tonight?

Oh no! My son jumps and dances everywhere! I feel petrified when he's around. I think he's starting to get the hang of how scared I am of him...because he warns me when he's coming into the room.

I get a warning. I can hear her coming. I am a kid at heart and usually she is scolding me about not taking care of my nintendog. LOL

Thanks for posting! I'm not feeling so odd now. I had awful gas pains! No shoulder pain, but it was all sitting right on my chest. I think I'd trade for that! I had my surgery on the 16th and spent one day in the hospital and couldn't wait to get home! Usually when I'm uncomfortable, I like that hospital bed, but my roommate was such a NIGHTMARE that I was pleased when my discharge papers came. This first night was very difficult. I wasn't nauseated, but my uvula was swollen from the tube and I kept having to swallow it. I thought I was choking! Fun!:tongue_smilie: I't subsiding a bit, so it's not as bad. I still feel as if I'm on hospital-time, so I'm waking up every 3 hours or so, but all in all I can't complain. I'm glad I'm banded.

I too was banded on the 16th. Im pretty sure that I thought I had a better tolerance for pain than I really have. These gas pains and shoulder pains have been horrible. I'm trying to walk around as much as possibel..but UGH. Also, my throat has been pretty sore since surgery as well. I hope it gets better soon.

Congrats on your banding! I got banded 10/13. I was actually happy to go home the night of the surgery as I was self pay. I can never sleep in hospitals! However, I think it would have been nice to have had the IV pain meds overnight, but the pills were fine enough. Hope you continue to do well each day!