Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

Well I had my surgery on Thursday and thought I'd post an update here. I am doing just great and I feel wonderful!

Thursday night was rough, I felt like I'd been dry heaving all day PLUS got punched in the stomach.... didn't take my pain meds before the pain got too bad, which of course is a big mistake (much easier to control pain before it gets bad than after) so I didn't get much sleep that night.

Friday - Day One (my surgeon refers to surgery day as Day Zero):

Woke up Friday morning feeling a little better but still sore (I took the pain meds all day that day). Took a shower, went outside for a short walk, then took it easy. Suddenly in early afternoon, exactly 24 hours after surgery, I hit a wall of exhaustion. Suddenly felt tired, slightly feverish, and a little bit of nausea (first time I'd felt nausea). I immediately took one of the anti-nausea pills the doctor prescribed, laid down and fell right to sleep. Slept for 2-1/2 hours, woke up for about an hour, fell asleep on the couch for a couple of hours, woke up and watched a movie (27 Dresses - cute), went to bed and slept for 8 hours! Here's what all I ate/drank on Day One:

4 oz. milk

1 cup beef broth

very small serving of sugar free Jello with fat-free Cool Whip

8 oz. V-8 juice

Saturday - Day Two:

Woke up Saturday with much less pain in my abdomen, except for the port site. Of course I've read all the posts here about how the port site stays tender for quite awhile. I'd say "tender" was an understatement on Saturday. I could not bend over to pick anything up on the floor, and I had to hold my stomach to support it whenever I stood up, walked, or moved. Because of that, I again took pain meds. Other than the port site hurting ("stinging and tugging" would be a good description), I felt pretty good and didn't take any naps. I did go to bed around 10:00 though and fell right to sleep. Here's what I ate on Day Two:

6 oz. Yogurt smoothie

8 oz. low-fat Cream of chicken Soup (strained) made with 1/2 non-fat milk and 1/2 Water

6 oz. Instant Breakfast (couldn't finish the whole 8 oz.)

1 cup chicken broth

Sunday - Day Three:

Woke up this morning feeling wonderful. I feel more refreshed and energized than I can remember feeling in a very long time. I think part of that is from being rid of all the stress and anxiety of making the decision for WL surgery, researching it, preparing for it, making decisions, arranging financing (I am self pay). That's all a huge load of anxiety off my back. And now for 3 weeks or so I've been eating lighter and healthier than I have in a long time. I'm recovering from the surgery and I've had some very good sleep. The port site is sore this morning but not as bad as yesterday. I feel so good that I got up, showered, washed and dried my hair, put in my contacts for the first time since surgery and also put on make-up for the first time since surgery -- and I'm not even going to be seeing anyone today! It just felt good to do that, for me. I pulled out some nice summer pants I haven't worn since last summer (and which I'm sure I couldn't have gotten into a month ago), pulled them on with a nice shirt, sprayed a little perfume and sat down with my Sunday paper and a glass of Carnation Instant Breakfast.

I haven't weighed myself since surgery and I don't intend to until my follow-up doctor's appointment on Friday. I'm taking in so few calories right now that it's hard to think of any weight lost right now as "real" weight, and I'm determined not to get addicted to the scale or to focus on numbers, but just to focus on taking good care of myself and eating healthy and listening to my brain telling me when I'm full. The scale will take care of itself. (that's what I say now but don't hold me to that down the road, haha!).

Anyway.... that's my update so far. I hope my fellow May 15th bandsters are doing as well and I hope this encourages those of you who are heading into surgery soon! :biggrin2:

Glad to hear everythng is going good. I was also banded on the 15th. I only took the pain meds once, the liquid tasted awful, but have been taking Advil (Dr. said I could) I havent had a lot of pain, except in the port area, when ever I get up it feels like pulling. I still have some gas pain, I can feel it in my chest so I have been trying to get up and walk around. I have been laying in bed a lot which I figure is why I still have gas pain. Today we are going to a bbq, I will be bringing my broth. wish me luck.

:biggrin2:

I hope I do as well as you did, I go tomorrow.. and the pre stress is just that.. STRESSED OUT today.... take it easy... get rest...

Good luck with your surgery, Yaherd! And that barbecue -- good luck there too, I don't know if I'm ready to go to a barbecue and smell all that good food! :leaving: