Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone not on a pre-op diet before surgery?

My doctor does not have me on any kind of a pre-op diet. Nothing. Nada. I'll be on liquids the day before surgery after 3:00 pm. I keep reading about people who are on a week and 2 weeks of liquids only before surgery. Could it be because my BMI is not extremely high? It's 39. Am I going to be OK for surgery???

I did not have to do a pre-op diet either. My BMI was 40. The pre-op diet is to shrink the liver so the stomach can be accessed more easily. So if you have less weight to lose you may not have needed the pre-op diet. Good Luck to you on your journey!

I don't mean to be flippant, but that might be a good question to ask your doctor! I found the pre-surgical diet helpful only because I was accustomed to having only liquids, as I would be forced to have after surgery. It helped me more psychologically than physically. The other part was the decreased caloric intake helped my body acclimate to having fewer calories without the headaches and stomach pains--associated with any new diet. You know your own body. If being on liquids for 2 weeks will make you miserable, start before surgery, even if it's a few liquid meals instead. Good luck! Talk to your doctor. S/he will be your greatest resource as every program is slightly different.

Well, my BMI was 39/40 and I had to do seventeen days pre-op liquid/lo-carb diet.

Only thing I can say is that every surgeon is different. As was said, I don't think it's a bad idea at all to start your new life early. I've read here where people GORGE themselves prior to surgery--that just tells me they are not ready for this life-altering change. :thumbs_down:

I'm not required to be on one either. My BMI is 41. But I'm already down 20 lbs from my initial appt, so they aren't concerned with my liver size.

However, I'm planning on a few days of liquid diet before my surgery for the psychological aspect of it.

My BMI was 41 and I did not have to go on a pre-op diet. I just had to do liquids the day before surgery and then at midnight I could not have any liquids. Good Luck to you!

well my bmi is just under 48 and no preop diet. My doc thinks it's mean to put patients through that (his exact words) lol and said he doesn't feel it's necessary.

Most people do go on one though...so follow whatever your doc says and be happy:biggrin2:

I did quit diet soda 2 months prior to surgery though so the "loss" and yes it was one for me..wasn't so great. Glad i did...

Hey,

i get my surgery Tues and they Dr. office has informed me that all i have to do is drink liquids 2 days prior to to my surgery and stop everything at 12am. i was alittle confused also but i guess all Dr. are not the same.

My doctor does not have me on any kind of a pre-op diet. Nothing. Nada. I'll be on liquids the day before surgery after 3:00 pm. I keep reading about people who are on a week and 2 weeks of liquids only before surgery. Could it be because my BMI is not extremely high? It's 39. Am I going to be OK for surgery???

I was banded 3/25. My BMI was about 37/38 and I had elevated liver enzymes on my cholesterol blood work. Surgeon said it could mean a fatty liver rather than reaction to cholesterol med. I was put on full liquids (included: broth, yogurt, fat/sugar free Jello, fat/sugar free popsicles, cream Soups, Protein drinks, fat/sugar free pudding, plus a small amount of lean protein--I used unbreaded chicken tenders and hardboiled eggs--to ease me into the liquid diet). Four days before surgery liquids only. I ended up doing it for 3 weeks because I caught a cold and my surgery was postponed a week, not enough time to go off and back on the liquids, so I just stayed on it for another week, plus 2 weeks post. I had increased my exercise, adding walking to Curves, and by surgery I had lost around 35 pounds and since about another 20. I found I do boring diets really well because I didn't have to think about what I had to eat. I was somewhat hungry during the day at work, but I had prepared myself to be, saving my lean Protein for the evening when I was most likely to overeat. The dietician wasn't crazy about the liquid diet but she said it is to shrink the liver to make surgery easier, and to jump start the weight loss. But not everyone is put on it, even in my surgeon's office. I am glad I did it because it prepared me for the 2 weeks post-op.

My BMI is really high and I am not on any pre-operative diet. I think it REALLY depends on the surgeon and their preferences. They ran your bloodword, your tests, they know what your body needs.

I'm having the surgery May 5 and my doctor himself said I didn't have to go on any special diet; yet, his nurse said that I should try to stick to a low fat diet beforehand. I plan on watching what I eat next week, which is the week before the surgery. If for no other reason but to acclimate myself a little. Also, I will stock up on clear & other liquids.< /p>

I met with my nutritionist and she gave me a PreOperative Diet to follow for at least 2 weeks before surgery. As I had been such a bad, bad girl for the last few weeks (who am I kidding, last few months) knowign that surgery was coming that I am doing this diet for 3 weeks instead of 2- no alcohol, Protein shakes (I drink high Protein slim fast), some fruit and a small salad with grilled protein- that is it. I am only on the 4th day, but I feel a little better already and it will help me get past the headaches, dizziness and empty feeling that would certainly happen after surgery if I was not prepared.

Oh, I did get special dispensation to have a piece of birthday cake on my birthday which is a week before surgery!

So far I have not been required to go on a liquid diet of any kind. My surgery is on May 14th and I have my preops on May 8th...so I don't know if I will be required to do a liquid fast prior to surgery. I have overcome the urge to go out and gorge myself with crappy food in the last weeks because I don't want it to show in my preop blood workup. And one thing I've done is mourn the fact that the amount of food intake will be drastically reduced for the rest of my life. Have any of you out there gone throught this? But I've come to terms with it...so now I'm just looking foward to start losing weight.