Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled for March 17th but having second thoughts...

I am all set to have the adjustable lap band on March 17th but now am thinking about the vertical lap band instead. I know several people who haven 't had good results with the adjustable lap band. I know a lot who have had great results from the vertical lap band. My doctor does both. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Have any of you considered the vertical?:rolleyes2:

Thanks oldtimer! I too am on Cpap BUT...other than needing to lose 180 pounds....(lol) and having painful joints.....I have no other health problems. I will do one or the other of those surgeries. I have no choice. I just turned 50 and I don't look nearly that age. I'd like to live a lot longer. I will pray I make the right choice. I will probably go with the adjustable because it seems safer. Ultimately the work is up to me. I just need a jump start. Thanks again.:rolleyes2:

I am all set to have the adjustable lap band on March 17th but now am thinking about the vertical lap band instead. I know several people who haven 't had good results with the adjustable lap band. I know a lot who have had great results from the vertical lap band. My doctor does both. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Have any of you considered the vertical?:rolleyes2:

Hi Janet,

I had never heard of the vertical band until I saw your post. I just found this link LAP-BAND: Laparoscopic Obesity Surgery Indications and I think it provides a terrific comparison of the two. My gut reaction was that the adjustable lap-band is the better option.

The more I read posts on this site, the more I see that patient results are all over the map. In the end, your actions will determine your results. Your level of activity and your self-discipline or self-control will seal your fate. It's a lot of work, no doubt about it.

Your surgery day will be here before you know it. I hope that you'll be at peace with your decision before the final moment arrives! I was as ready as I was going to be, but it was still scary. After the nurse set up my I.V., I started balling. All of this emotion was coming out. I had two nurses tell me that it would be ok if I got up and left. I knew that wasn't an option!

I wish you the best of luck. I have a friend whose surgery day is the day after you. GOOD LUCK and check out that website! :tt2:

My date is next Tuesday March 4 2008

I have been freaking out a bit too.

Actually I have been on an emotional rollercoaster this week.

I think it is very normal to be having doubts about such a major decision.

You will be Fine!

I will be fine!

If you have researched this and I am assuming you have you know what is the best procedure for you.

have faith in yourself and know that you will make the right choice for you.

Best of luck!!

The pre-op jitters are completely normal. I had second thoughts in the OR holding area, surgery is scarry. I have a huge fear of the denists, so much so that I have to get nitrious oxide to just be able to unclench my jaw there and not cry hysterically. Yes,once they tech forgot to turn on the nitrious part and gave me pure oxygen. Something just didn't feel right and I was freaking out, crying, begging to just be able to go home, etc. And having surgery scares me too, even more than the dentist. So I was put on a beta blocker and it calmed me down somewhat.

Hang in there. It helps to make a list of reasons why you want the surgery and just look at when those last minute jitters hit.

I cancled my consult with my surgeon about 4 times, technically just kept on rescheduling it. Anyway the list helped me finally go through with the appointment.

Hang in there

-Leena

That's great advice, Leena! The list always helps!

hippie - I know I don't know you all at a personal level, but now I'll be praying for you, Janet, and my friend Pat... all having surgeries in March. No doubt in the power of prayer!

The surgery phase of your journey will soon be behind you. Focus on the good!!!!!

I just learned yesterday that my surgery will be on March 11. I started the liquid diet today. On the way to work this morning, all of a sudden I panicked and started telling myself that I could do this without surgery. I know I can't, of course. I've tried and failed many, many times. I'll hang in there, but ask for your prayers that this 2 weeks of liquid diet gets easier as the days go by.

Any suggestions on the best Protein supplement and what I can mix it with so I can get it down?

I'm March 17th also. I'm excited, but worried about the 1,000 calorie diet that I am starting on Monday.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to divide up my Protein, because I get dizzy if I wait too long without Protein.< /p>

Tomorrow is my research day!

I had the lap band 4 days ago, and am so glad I did it.

I too was worried, (I went to mx) but would do it again in a heart beat. I am so pumped I walked 4 kms today and am going to bed early with no nap since surgery. I have only researched the lap band and have never heard of the vert band? which ever way you go it will be the best thing. remember its a tool and not a cure.

That's an amazing story. You walked 3 km. - incredible. I'm also excited that you are napping less. That would be so wonderful.

I just finished day 3 of the pre-op diet. I get a little light headed, but I can tolerate it. I'm so motivated!

Got that long awaited approval today------and now I am freaking out also. Surgery is March 14 and I am a wreck! What the heck is going on with me. I have waited and waited for approval for so long and now I am scared? I keep thinking about the mask being put over my nose and mouth (I am claustrophobic), the surgery in general, the life after. Goodness, I have been through the thought process on all this and now it all comes rushing back at me and has me shaking in my boots.

Hello, all... I am scheduled for surgery on March 12. Wow, so much going on in my head. I'm excited and... I am nervous and I admit that I have second thoughts at least once a day. These second thoughts are quickly silenced when I remember exactly why I made the decision to have the band. I cannot loose the weight on my own and I'm okay with admitting that. I know the band will empower me to do what's best for me.

Since making the decision to get the band in mid-January I have quit smoking the day after the seminar on Jan. 15th - cold turkey. I have made it through 1 week of the high Protein, liquid diet without loosing any friends!

I just keep surprising myself by doing things I'd been telling myself for oh so long, I just couldn't do. Imagine that.

P.S. So, take that, second thought! :)

I just learned yesterday that my surgery will be on March 11. I started the liquid diet today. On the way to work this morning, all of a sudden I panicked and started telling myself that I could do this without surgery. I know I can't, of course. I've tried and failed many, many times. I'll hang in there, but ask for your prayers that this 2 weeks of liquid diet gets easier as the days go by.

Any suggestions on the best Protein supplement and what I can mix it with so I can get it down?

Hi. everything I've read say powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury came highly recommended as medical quality Protein supplement so I did order some off the internet in anticipation of my March 17 surgery. I ordered Unflavored so I can add it to other foods and the chicken Soup. I had also picked up GNC brand of chocolate whey Protein Isolate and vanilla. I have a friend at work that really likes the EAS brand of Protein shake mix. Hope that gives you some ideas.