Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fifty + & gonna-be-banded

I am going in for the pre op psych visit. I have a couple of questions. Just What is the diet pre & post op? I see alot of 40 somethings but not many 50 somethings. Can you share some of your story wth me? :help: Age related functioning? Is it too late for me to consider? MyBMI is 45. I gotta do somethng. :faint: Th band stays in for life right? Anyne out there had theirs longer than 5 years? Anyone have to have another surgery to replace/remove/redo the surgery. Thanks to all who reply.

I've only had my first visit with the dietitian. I still have to schedule my psych eval. I'm trying to find a new job, but having a hard time. I'm also concerned about taking a job & having to take time off for the appts. & tests. I also don't want to tell anyone my plans. I haven't even told my kids or family yet. Just my husband and sister (a nurse) know. Any suggestions?;)

I am 56 and just got banded on 11/27. Each Dr. has a different requirement for pre and post op diet. Many Dr's have local seminars where you go in a group meeting and they explain a little about the surgery and generally meet previous patients. You can then schedule a consultation with the Dr's office. You can also skip the seminar and just make an appt.

They will walk you through the proceess and explain what tests might be required and info on who to contact for Pysch and nutritional consults. They can usually tell you about your particular ins. requirements.

As far as working goes, I am not employed, but you would probably need about a week off of work. My fill appts are fairly quick and you should ask about late hour appts etc if you're employed.

I did not tell anyone ( even my children) until the surgery was over. I wasn';t sure up to the last ninute that it would even happen. I am now beginning to tell some friends.

Hopefully our bands will stay in for life. Long term use of bands ( and the bands have changed slightly from earlier ones) to really know the long term life span. But if you're like me and desparate enough, we're willing to take the risks and worry about the future later. Hopefully, we'll have a long enough life to have to worry about the longevity of the band.

For me, I just did not want to reroute my entire digestive system for the gastric bypass surgery, so while my band might have problems later, I felt better with this choice for NOW!

If you use the "search" option at the top of the forum page in the blue tool bar, you can look for posts about long term and complications and removing bands etc.

Remember, there are many people who get their bands, post for a while, lose their weight and move on from the forum as they no longer are focused on the whole process and have just moved on with their life and no longer fell the need for support from others on the forum.

People with problems are likely to post them as they search for answers etc. But there are risks and possible complications. there are risks from being overweight, diabetic etc.

For me as an older bander, I feel my weight loss is a little on the slow side, but I'm older, female, not very active etc. But at one month out, I'm happy with my band. you'll have to check back with me in 6 months or one year to see how I feel later.

Please become as educated as you can about the band and I highly suggest you read and understand about "fills". That can really help. There's lots of info on this on the forum.

Good Luck. hope this info helps.

My nutritionist suggested I read Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies. It was very helpful and answered a lot of my questions in easy-to-understand language. I also asked my doctor if I were too old for Lap-band surgery and he told me unless I had major health problems that required that the weight come off right away, Lap-band had no age restriction. I'm pre-diabetic and I would rather live with a band than diabetes.

hI

I am 57 and was banded in July. So far, I have lost 54 pounds, had 4 fills and still no restriction. Hopefully this one will do it. I had been in a very deep depression and I flunked the psychological evaluation. Not wanting to wait and have the testing redone, in fact it wasn't that I didn't want to wait. I didn't dare wait, I was that depressed. Anyway, I went to Mexico and had the surgery there and it was the best thing I ever did. Everything went smoothly....no problems....don't even know the band is there. Most important, the weight is coming off, and the dpression is gone. All I can say is GO FOR IT

go for it!! take the time... u do this for you! Iam 53 and had it done in july this year... and it has changed my life... lost 60 lbs since july 07... go for it please! take time off for you to gain a much better life! vamaillady

go for it! i am 53 and had it done in july 07 and have lost 60 lbs.. it has changed my life bigtime... i am wearing jeans i never thought i could ever wear again..makes me look 20 years younger! Do this for you! vamailllady

you go! i enjoyed your post... its never too late to make a change... i am 53 and had it done in july 07 and have lost 60 lbs so far... more energy and lots of better self esteem... wearing jeans so much smaller than before and even got rid of the cover up big shirts.. just wear sweaters and hoodies that actually show my butt! glad u had it done.. we shall now enjoy a much better life than if we chose to think we were too old .... i look 20 years younger now! vamaillady

Photo Egor:photo: and I just turned 51. I am asthmatic, arthritic, bi-polar, pre-diabetic, and FAT (100lb. more than when we met 34 years ago).:drama: His BMI is 45, he has to sleep with a machine for apnea, and take two insulin shots a day, in addition to medicine for clinical depression. We are both being treated for high blood pressure and cholesterol problems.:eek:

We first went to AIGB-Dallas November 14th, and are working through all of the time and tests Aetna requires before banding :thumbs_up: (hopefully March for me and April for him:pray2:). We have become more aware of the lifestyle changes we have to make, including walking, Portion Control, chewing thoroughly, and thinking about when, what, :tea: and how much we drink. So far, we have lost about 10 pounds each :scales:, in spite of :pray2:Thanksgiving , FOUR family birthdays,:party::cake: :party: :) :happybday: and Christmas! :present:

:)Banding seems to be a great tool for people like us, who want:pray2: :pray:to lose the weight that is making our other health problems worse.

:gluck:

Hi my name is Jessie and I am 56 years old. I wad banded on Nov 14 and just had my first fill on Dec 27. I have lost 27 pounds and 21 inches. I was wearing a size 22 jeans and I am now in a 16. I feal great and I have mor energy than I have had in years. I was on solid food on my 8th day after surgery. I have not been sick at all. I was on a liquid diet 2 weeks prior to the surgery and 1 week after.

Hi All! I was banded by Dr. Spiegel 19 months ago and I LOVE my band! I have lost 62 pounds as of yesterday. I am not the most active person in the world, but I did go to the YMCA last summer and start Water aerobics. It was great. Then I had to stop so I could help my pregnant DIL with my little 13 mo. old grandson. I have lost steadily since I started running after him! What a way to lose! Yes, we older bandsters lose more slowly, but my skin looks great. I just had an adjustment to my band after several months and the Nurse Practitioner told me that my band was really loose because I had lost so much weight!!!!!Now I have good restriction again. It is like I was first banded. I have been looking for great banded recipes on this website. I had kind of let things go before, but now I am back on the horse!!! Ladies, we are SO much better off with the band! Good luck and Happy New Year and New You to all of you!

Calanne:whoo::clap2: