Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Posted (edited)

I had gastric bypass on 2/22. Pre-op I lost 37 pounds, first week post op another 18. 2nd week the scale didn't move at all and now as of today is UP 5 POUNDS. I want to scream. How is this even possible I haven't even gotten to 1000 calories yet. I'm so discouraged I want to just cry. My RD tells me not to worry but how can I not? Has anyone delt with this? Thanks for any advice or insight.

Edited by Dmz215
Spelling

Yes it is very normal. Do not get discouraged. Remember your body just went through a major surgery and it will take time to adjust to such rapid weight loss. This is normal throughout the process and won't just be one time. Stalls and small fluctuations are par for the course. You have lost a major amount already and you've just begun. Keep in mind that it's not 5lbs of fat gained. It can be anything from Water retention from a little more sodium and/or carbs or not having had a BM or something else. Further in when you're actively working out, it can be muscle gain.

Your hormones and internal system are trying to find their place and rebalance. Stick to the program and if you weigh everyday, try not to for awhile if it makes you anxious or gets you down. It will move again. Also if you haven't already, take measurements and pictures. A lot of the changes can happen that are non scale related you'd be surprised.

Firstly, well done on losing the pounds pre and post op.

I had similar happen, put on some lbs in the initial weeks after the surgery and it worried me at the time and made me question if everything I was going through was worth it. So while it was slow going at the start I have made up for it since. Our bodies are all different so don't upset yourself by comparing your timeframes and losses to others but just let your body go at its own pace while it adjusts.

Even when you think you are not loosing lbs you are making healthier choices and loosing fat. As an example, I bought a pair of trousers a few weeks ago for work and they fit beautifully, last night I tried them on for going to the office today and they were massive through the hips and thighs even though in that time I had only lost 2kg/4.5lbs in that time. Of course I had taken the label off so can't return, another item for donating!

You're doing amazingly. What you have done is lose 13lbs in 2 weeks or so after your procedure. And 37lbs pre-op. Unbelievable.

Weight loss isn't linear - it stalls and accelerates and stops and reverses. What matters is that the trend is down in the longer term - that's what gets us to where we want to be. Not the odd week where everything goes backwards (although - they are so annoying).

Trust the process, it really does work. 🤩

1) you're experiencing the extremely common "three-week stall". Happens to most of us within the first month or so of surgery, usually (but not always) the 3rd week, hence, the name. It typically lasts 1-3 weeks before breaking

2) the gain is almost certainly Water or very full intestines. Give it a couple of days and it should be gone.

I just want to thank you for posting! My surgery was nearly same date. I lost 16 before surgery and 12 since. Then I stopped. Last two days I’ve gone up! The kicker is that I’m struggling to get to 800 calories per day! So frustrating! But hearing I’m not alone (and recognizing that this calorie intake can’t sustain an increase) sure helps ease my mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my operation VSG, one month and one day ago. I didn't have to do a pre op diet as my surgeon didn't reccomend it for me ..; I lost 7 pounds in the two weeks pre-op and then lost 18 pounds in the first 2 and half weeks post op ... I haven't lost anything since and am starting to get seriously seriously down about it and am thinking that this is it ... this is the weight I'm going to be stuck at forever. I'm so sad and upset. It just feels so useless. I'm walking and being as active as I can and drinking as much fluids as I can manage but the scales aren't budging. I'm so sad.

On 3/17/2024 at 4:45 AM, BlueParis said:

I had my operation VSG, one month and one day ago. I didn't have to do a pre op diet as my surgeon didn't reccomend it for me ..; I lost 7 pounds in the two weeks pre-op and then lost 18 pounds in the first 2 and half weeks post op ... I haven't lost anything since and am starting to get seriously seriously down about it and am thinking that this is it ... this is the weight I'm going to be stuck at forever. I'm so sad and upset. It just feels so useless. I'm walking and being as active as I can and drinking as much fluids as I can manage but the scales aren't budging. I'm so sad.

Please just take a good look at all the info mentioned above to the original poster. Do not get down on yourself or think this is it. The "3 week stall" is a real thing. (and isn't just at week 3) You just lost 25lbs in one month essentially. That's already monumental! How many times in your life have you lost that in a month??

Your body will assess and adjust throughout your process. Also, you started at a much smaller weight than a lot of us around here do so your weightloss may not always fall off in large numbers.

Remember we didn't gain the weight overnight and it will not go away overnight despite this great tool we have in our arsenal. Give yourself grace, trust the process, stick with the program, I promise the changes and losses will come in time.

Thank you @Shanna NYC for your kind words. I broke my stall (slightly) this morning and am feeling much better for it ... I also know that I need to work on my coping mechanisms and be kinder to myself. Up until 2019 I'd never weighed more than 115 pounds for my whole adult life ... and then I gained nearly 100 pounds in just over a year and have spent the last 3 years desperatly unhappy and going through cycles of loosing and gaining the same 20 pounds and you are right ...25lbs is more than I've lost on any of the crazy diets I've tried... So I'm on the right track! Merci Encore (as we say in French!)

There are so many factors working here. You are still healing from surgery. Also I know I stalled at about 2 weeks. Not having a regular bathroom routine didn't help. Stay the course and keep being amazing.