Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GERD before gastric sleeve?

Has anyone gotten a gastric sleeve when they already had reflux problems? I’m presurgery but my doctor is deadset that the sleeve is the best surgery and only option he’ll do. I already have reflux issues so I’m concerned it would make those worse as all my research has said it will. My grandma died due to esophageal cancer caused by years of bad reflux so it can be a serious issue and I don’t want to make it worse.

I would be very hesitant to get the sleeve, to be honest, in your case. If at all possible, I suggest shopping around for a different surgeon, one who feels confident performing the surgery that you want. In the long run, it would be worth a delay to avoid a nightmare.

He’s the only one I can find in my area that accepts my insurance :/ But I really don’t think I want the sleeve. Thanks

Good advice above!

I made a very very considered choice to have a sleeve despite being on PPIs for years for reflux. Only because I knew when I had previously lost significant weight my reflux had gone. My gamble paid off but I know that the recommended surgery for people with reflux is bypass. Concerned that your surgeon is trying to railroad you into anything else. My choice was very much mine after a long discussion of the pros and cons. This is too important a decision to get wrong.

Edited by Spinoza

Are there other factors why he wants to do the sleeve? Have you had previous surgeries that might complicate a RNY?

I’ve never had any other surgeries. He just thinks it’s “by far the best surgery out there” and really doesn’t want to do anything else. His office does sleeves almost exclusively. I’ve had reflux ever since my first pregnancy (almost 7 years ago now) when I had hyperemesis and it’s stuck with since

I had reflux before my sleeve surgery. It was mild & I managed it through dietary choices. Only needed to take esomepraole 3 or 4 times a year (usually when I had too many champagnes or G&Ts). My surgeon & I discussed my situation & he decided to proceed with the sleeve because I managed my reflux & it was mild but he would have done bypass if I wanted,

After surgery I take esomeprazole everyday & I always will. My reflux manifests itself a little differently now - more burning in my throat but way less incidences of the hideous hiccups & bad taste in my mouth.

I would question a surgeon who will only do a sleeve regardless of your gerd which usually means sleeve is not for you. Are there any surgeons in a neighbouring city who will take your insurance & you could meet with?

Mine is pretty severe, I’ve been on the highest dose of pantoprazole for many years now and still have flare ups sometimes.

I haven’t looked in other cities, I didn’t like the idea of having to travel for hours after surgery. But I guess that’d be better than having complications

I think a lot of surgeons prefer the sleeve because it's an easier surgery to do. It seems like it's also overtaken bypass as the "gold standard" (although that wasn't true when I had my surgery since it was still relatively new then - at least as a standalone surgery). Although there are a few situations where bypass is the better option (like...GERD).

I had GERD prior to surgery. My surgeon said he'd do either, but he recommended bypass as it usually improves - and often outright cures - GERD - whereas, as you know, sleeve can make it worse (although only in about 30% of cases. But I didn't want to take the risk). I'm glad he encouraged me to at least consider bypass because I didn't want to end up one of those 30%. But there are sleevers on here whose GERD never got worse, and for some, it even improved. It's really a crap shoot.

anyway, yes - it's definitely a risk. I'm not sure what to tell you since this guy seems deadset against doing a bypass. And you're sort of limited by your insurance. Yikes. What a predicament. Although maybe you'll luck out and be one of the 70% who DON'T experience GERD issues (or in your case, worse GERD issues). My heart goes out to you - that's a difficult position to be in.

21 hours ago, GreatHope said:

Has anyone gotten a gastric sleeve when they already had reflux problems? I’m presurgery but my doctor is deadset that the sleeve is the best surgery and only option he’ll do. I already have reflux issues so I’m concerned it would make those worse as all my research has said it will. My grandma died due to esophageal cancer caused by years of bad reflux so it can be a serious issue and I don’t want to make it worse.

My doctor told me she wouldn't do the sleeve if my upper GI showed severe GERD. She would only do the bypass. Fortunately I have minimal GERD

Absolutely DO NOT get the sleeve if you have GERD already. I didn't have it at all, yet when I originally had the sleeve, it gave me such severe GERD I also developed gastritis, esophagitis, and had to take 80mg of Nexium per day as well as Pepcid every day, and I still had break through GERD. I ended up needing 4 endoscopies to remove polyps all through my stomach and duodenum (caused by the high amount of PPI I had to take over a prolonged amount of time) and then had a revision to bypass, which solved the whole issue. It was a very miserable time. And again, I didn't even have any GERD or reflux to begin with. My doctor told me that if you do, the sleeve is not the surgery to get. Definitely go with a bypass. If your doctor refuses, find a new doctor.

Edited by SleeveToBypass2023