Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sick after eating

I am in my 8th month post op. I get sick after I eat. Sometimes it is random or I ate to much. But, lately it is everytime I eat. I just feel yuck, nausea and tired, and don't feel good. Even if I don't overeat.

Why and does anyone else feel this?

You need to go back to your team and get them to work it out. You should not be ill every time you eat. You will feel tired and yucky. You are getting no nutrients. I hope you get the answers you need

What foods do you eat ? Are you sick if you have liquids ? Are your foods dry ? You are a little late for a stricture so that can not be the problem.

I occasionally vomit [ the foamies] because of over eating or drinking too quickly after food. I still take anti nausea and Gerd medication.

Foamies can be unpleasant if you eat too fast or too much or something that is too dry or too coarse. I find it can happen if it’s something my tummy decides it doesn’t like (like it recently decided it didn’t like eggs anymore though I’d been eating them without issue for 4 years).

But I wonder if it may be dumping because of the nausea & tiredness which you don’t get with the foamies. While generally caused by fats & sugars, other things can set it off too like starch heavy foods & even dairy in some.

But yes certainly needs a visit with your surgeon to see what’s going on.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:11 AM, Blossoming1 said:

I forgot my water bottle, got back from the gym and guzzled Water.

I have been fine all day. But it felt yuck.

I feel pretty awful now if I guzzle Water so be careful with that, it hits our tummies hard to take in that much Fluid in one go. I know it sounds weird because I'm not a bypass patient but I get dumping symptoms (nausea, pressure, dizziness, fatigue) if I take in too much water too quickly and it leads to wicked diarrhea if I'm not careful. Remember to slow down... If you are drinking too fast it is possible you are eating too fast too. This could cause all the issues you are describing. I've found that what I thought was slow was not slow enough. Take your slow and double the time and try that!

Take your time, don't force yourself to eat or drink. How much Water are you able to consume, and are you having a nutrient deficit?

My Water intake is good. I am not deficient as of my last visit less then a month ago.

I contacted my dietician and she said I may be eating to fast or not chewing my food well enough. I agree on both.

I notice some foods bother me more then others. I struggle with meat. And always if I eat or drink to fast.

I just need to check myself and slow down.

Learning to eat slowly can be challenging. Over time you can speed up again or find you’re subconsciously timing your bites with whoever you’re eating with. I found putting my cutlery down & sitting back from the table helped. I still take a long time to eat - 30-45 mins to eat a meal though it used to be longer - up to an hour. The slowing your eating is also to ensure you haven’t eaten too much before you recognise your full signal. This signal can take 20+ minutes to kick in so if you eat quickly you can eat more than you actually need & are then are over full. I often have a very slow full message which is also why I eat slowly.

I also can’t drink more than two mouthfuls at a time. I was having trouble swallowing a med for my Meniere’s vertigo one day. It starts to dissolve when it gets moist & even just putting it in your mouth it will stick. Took a 4th swallow to get it down & then I swear within seconds up all the Water came … & the med.

@Arabesque I just want you to know remembering your posts about eating speed over the months have really helped me post op! I thought I was taking small sips and small bites but my body taught me that what I thought was small was not small enough, so to half it. That helped immensely. I also take my time chewing like you suggest, and put my fork down, and every bite or two check to see if I'm feeling any signals of fullness yet, which are hard to feel this early out so I really have to listen to them.

Yesterday was my first time eating out since my surgery. I got mahi mahi. I was worried I'd be bored while my partner ate this huge salad with salmon, but it turns out that the time it took them to eat that whole salad was the time it took me to eat a few ounces of the fish and a few green Beans and asparagus. I wasn't bored waiting for them, if anything I was bored of chewing because the mahi mahi turned out to be drier and denser than my post surgery taste buds like! LOL We were done at the same time! But it really made me wonder about all the posts I see here of not enjoying eating out anymore because three bites and you are done in 5 minutes. They must not be eating the way the dietician in my program has drilled into our heads. I felt completely normal eating out, I just didn't drink with my meal and I had more leftover than most people would. The server didn't bat an eye. It was a lovely experience and made me feel relieved I could still enjoy it post surgery, even in the soft food stage!

Anyway, all that to say thank you for the great advice you (and everyone else) give to us newbies. It DOES make a difference! I'm really grateful for it. I feel like I'm ahead of the curve...

On 11/22/2023 at 12:13 PM, ChunkCat said:

@Arabesque I just want you to know remembering your posts about eating speed over the months have really helped me post op! I thought I was taking small sips and small bites but my body taught me that what I thought was small was not small enough, so to half it. That helped immensely. I also take my time chewing like you suggest, and put my fork down, and every bite or two check to see if I'm feeling any signals of fullness yet, which are hard to feel this early out so I really have to listen to them.

Yesterday was my first time eating out since my surgery. I got mahi mahi. I was worried I'd be bored while my partner ate this huge salad with salmon, but it turns out that the time it took them to eat that whole salad was the time it took me to eat a few ounces of the fish and a few green Beans and asparagus. I wasn't bored waiting for them, if anything I was bored of chewing because the mahi mahi turned out to be drier and denser than my post surgery taste buds like! LOL We were done at the same time! But it really made me wonder about all the posts I see here of not enjoying eating out anymore because three bites and you are done in 5 minutes. They must not be eating the way the dietician in my program has drilled into our heads. I felt completely normal eating out, I just didn't drink with my meal and I had more leftover than most people would. The server didn't bat an eye. It was a lovely experience and made me feel relieved I could still enjoy it post surgery, even in the soft food stage!

Anyway, all that to say thank you for the great advice you (and everyone else) give to us newbies. It DOES make a difference! I'm really grateful for it. I feel like I'm ahead of the curve...

this makes me feel so much better! The times that my SO and I are able to sneak away on a date night I was worried I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself. We have fun trying new food and were that gross couple that feed each other LOL! I still wanted to be able to enjoy myself but it sounds like since you were eating slower there might have been more conversation? Did you feel like you enjoyed yourself more?

1 hour ago, AmberFL said:

This makes me feel so much better! The times that my SO and I are able to sneak away on a date night I was worried I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself. We have fun trying new food and were that gross couple that feed each other LOL! I still wanted to be able to enjoy myself but it sounds like since you were eating slower there might have been more conversation? Did you feel like you enjoyed yourself more?

You know, now that you ask it, I DID enjoy myself more!! LOL I had to be very contemplative with eating which translated into more thoughtful conversation while we ate. We've been married 17 years and sometimes you get lazy and end up in that zone where you just shovel food in and get out of there. But I can't do that now!! So I pick places to go more carefully, and we've committed to putting our phones away during our meals together, so we get more face time and I really connect not only with the people I'm with, but the food I'm eating too!

I'm two months post op now. I've eaten out at a lot of different places and we did a road trip to visit family for the holidays. That might have been a nightmare food-wise for some people, but I just packed Snacks and Protein supplemental food that I could eat if we hit a 3 hour mark and no one else was ready to eat. And we even ate at a pizza bar (not my favorite choice even before surgery) and I just got the grilled wings with a mild sauce. I've found that eating out is easier than I thought it would be. I even go eat pho---I just ask them to leave the noodles out and I eat the beef and bean sprouts and enjoy the broth. We still eat mostly at home but I was really relieved when traveling to see that our enjoyment of travel was not affected by my new diet! Also, we seem to share our food more because for me, satiety comes from trying a variety of things (always has) and now I just stick to a few bites of this and that while I meander my way through the meal and it is nice and relaxing and very enjoyable. You will still be able to enjoy yourself, it is all in how you approach it!!

15 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

You know, now that you ask it, I DID enjoy myself more!! LOL I had to be very contemplative with eating which translated into more thoughtful conversation while we ate. We've been married 17 years and sometimes you get lazy and end up in that zone where you just shovel food in and get out of there. But I can't do that now!! So I pick places to go more carefully, and we've committed to putting our phones away during our meals together, so we get more face time and I really connect not only with the people I'm with, but the food I'm eating too!

I'm two months post op now. I've eaten out at a lot of different places and we did a road trip to visit family for the holidays. That might have been a nightmare food-wise for some people, but I just packed Snacks and Protein supplemental food that I could eat if we hit a 3 hour mark and no one else was ready to eat. And we even ate at a pizza bar (not my favorite choice even before surgery) and I just got the grilled wings with a mild sauce. I've found that eating out is easier than I thought it would be. I even go eat pho---I just ask them to leave the noodles out and I eat the beef and bean sprouts and enjoy the broth. We still eat mostly at home but I was really relieved when traveling to see that our enjoyment of travel was not affected by my new diet! Also, we seem to share our food more because for me, satiety comes from trying a variety of things (always has) and now I just stick to a few bites of this and that while I meander my way through the meal and it is nice and relaxing and very enjoyable. You will still be able to enjoy yourself, it is all in how you approach it!!

I will definitely being reaching out to you if I need encouragement! I have been thinking about the "after life" of this surgery and how it will look like.

I am so proud of you having a positive experience with still enjoying all the things you can enjoy even if its smaller amounts or having to tweak what you eat. This makes me excited!

Me and my SO have 3 kids and been together 4 years so I totally get the shoveling food down to get it done. LOL

17 minutes ago, AmberFL said:

I will definitely being reaching out to you if I need encouragement! I have been thinking about the "after life" of this surgery and how it will look like.

I am so proud of you having a positive experience with still enjoying all the things you can enjoy even if its smaller amounts or having to tweak what you eat. This makes me excited!

Me and my SO have 3 kids and been together 4 years so I totally get the shoveling food down to get it done. LOL

Please do feel free to reach out and message me!! Even if you just want to vent. LOL I have Discord and FB and Instagram too, if you prefer one of those platforms instead.

Thank you for the kind words. I really believe mindset shapes a lot of our experiences in life. **** happens and we can't always account for that, but we can to a certain extent control how we BE with it and that can make all the difference...