Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting your hair professionally colored?

Surgery date is October 11th! WooHoo!
I know about Hair loss after surgery.
Thoughts and/or experience on coloring your hair after surgery, I've heard some people wait 6 months, some a year, some never stop.

I don't think I've ever been told that could be a problem? The surgery can make your hair fall out in some cases, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having issues with coloring it. Do you know why that would be a concern for a bariatric patient?

1 minute ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

I don't think I've ever been told that could be a problem? The surgery can make your hair fall out in some cases, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having issues with coloring it. Do you know why that would be a concern for a bariatric patient?

So I've read that to reduce irritation, hair will be fragile. I've read you should avoid heat styling, bleaching and comb gently. So I wanted to see others experiences :)

I use heat (blow dryer and straightener) every time I style my hair. The only issue I'm having is the normal shedding. My hair looks and feels healthy. I do use good quality hair products. I stopped dyeing my hair 7 years ago and embraced the grey in my mid-thirties.

Never stopped & never did anything different with my hair routine of blow drying & curling.

3 hours ago, jacquelynn22 said:

So I've read that to reduce irritation, hair will be fragile. I've read you should avoid heat styling, bleaching and comb gently. So I wanted to see others experiences :)

Oh, interesting! I mean, that makes sense, if you're at risk for losing your hair to keep what you have as healthy and strong as possible. That's really smart advice!

Well, I can say my hair was completely virgin and I only use a blow dryer a couple times a YEAR...and I still lost about 2/3 of my hair. It seems like I was a particularly bad case, though. I got extremely sick around 2 months after my surgery.

it's been over eight years since surgery for me. I've colored my hair for at least 20 years. If I stopped after surgery (can't remember if I did), it wouldn't have been for long.

6 hours ago, jacquelynn22 said:

Surgery date is October 11th! WooHoo!
I know about Hair loss after surgery.
Thoughts and/or experience on coloring your hair after surgery, I've heard some people wait 6 months, some a year, some never stop.

First, congratulations! It was the best decision of my entire life and 3 months after the surgery I can say, it will ALWAYS be the best decision of my life. I believe it will be one of the best decisions you made. I colored my hair after couple of months, I had no problem. I did not loose hair, although I was expecting it. I believe I did not loose hair even though I lost 51 pounds in 3 months, because I always eat the right amount of Protein and also took a Biotin supplement in addition to Calcium, Iron and Multivitamins. I am happy, energetic and blessed. All my blood tests came back PERFECT! No high bad cholesterol, no high triglycerides, and after 15 years of being a diabetic and juggling metformiin and insulin, I am no longer a diabetic. My last A1C was 5.5 which places me in the normal range, I am not even a prediabetic. I was so scared of the gastric bypass that I considered not getting the surgery up to the time they rolled me in the operating room. I really hated my liquid diet and was in tremendous pain after the surgery because I had a hiatal hernia repair surgery at the same time with the gastric bypass. I cannot believe that there are only 3 months and 10 days since my surgery! So, while there are scary stories out there and the journey is not easy, please know that each individual is unique, and trust that your story will be one of success as mine is! One doctor told me couple of years ago that getting a gastric bypass was the best decision of his life. I can say the same about me and wish for you the same!

I’ve had my hair coloured every 4 weeks for years before & after my surgery (gotta hide that grey) & continued my usual drying/styling routine. Don’t believe it affected how much hair I lost.

The hair you lose during the usual 3+/- months is have that you were already going to shed. You’re just shedding it more quickly.

The only thing I would worry about is bleach as it is more harsh on your hair. I remember having streaks many years ago & I shed more hair than usual. So I wouldn’t want to increase the Hair loss by doing that again. Plus the anaesthetic can make the texture of your hair change & make it feel drier.

8 hours ago, MarisAthena said:

I believe I did not loose hair even though I lost 51 pounds in 3 months, because I always eat the right amount of Protein and also took a Biotin supplement in addition to Calcium, Iron and Multivitamins.

just so you know, some people don't start losing it that early. My Hair loss started up at five months out (like you, I was also careful to do everything "right"). Luckily, I lost very little hair, but I did lose some from months 5-9. Once you've past the six month mark and you still haven't lost any hair, then you probably aren't going to lose any.

Edited by catwoman7

10 hours ago, MarisAthena said:

First, congratulations! It was the best decision of my entire life and 3 months after the surgery I can say, it will ALWAYS be the best decision of my life. I believe it will be one of the best decisions you made. I colored my hair after couple of months, I had no problem. I did not loose hair, although I was expecting it. I believe I did not loose hair even though I lost 51 pounds in 3 months, because I always eat the right amount of Protein and also took a Biotin supplement in addition to Calcium, Iron and Multivitamins. I am happy, energetic and blessed. All my blood tests came back PERFECT! No high bad cholesterol, no high triglycerides, and after 15 years of being a diabetic and juggling metformiin and insulin, I am no longer a diabetic. My last A1C was 5.5 which places me in the normal range, I am not even a prediabetic. I was so scared of the gastric bypass that I considered not getting the surgery up to the time they rolled me in the operating room. I really hated my liquid diet and was in tremendous pain after the surgery because I had a hiatal hernia repair surgery at the same time with the gastric bypass. I cannot believe that there are only 3 months and 10 days since my surgery! So, while there are scary stories out there and the journey is not easy, please know that each individual is unique, and trust that your story will be one of success as mine is! One doctor told me couple of years ago that getting a gastric bypass was the best decision of his life. I can say the same about me and wish for you the same!

I think you were one of the lucky ones. Ive also taken all my Protein, Vitamins, ate what i was supposed to etc and my hair is still falling out. Doesnt matter how we eat, it is just a natural thing that happens after losing so much weight so quickly. Happens to many but not all of us. It was also one of the best decisions ive made even though my hair is falling out. Ive lost 65lbs in 5 months and loving every minute of it! I feel (and look) so much better! Hair grows back. I feel better than i have in many years!

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

just so you know, some people don't start losing it that early. My Hair loss started up at five months out (like you, I was also careful to do everything "right"). Luckily, I lost very little hair, but I did lose some from months 5-9. Once you've past the six month mark and you still haven't lost any hair, then you probably aren't going to lose any.

Thank you so much for letting me know! It is probably difficult, we will see, I will continue doing what I am doing, and if Hair loss arrives, I have two pixie wigs ready!🥹

11 minutes ago, NCL04321 said:

I think you were one of the lucky ones. Ive also taken all my Protein, Vitamins, ate what i was supposed to etc and my hair is still falling out. Doesnt matter how we eat, it is just a natural thing that happens after losing so much weight so quickly. Happens to many but not all of us. It was also one of the best decisions ive made even though my hair is falling out. Ive lost 65lbs in 5 months and loving every minute of it! I feel (and look) so much better! Hair grows back. I feel better than i have in many years!

I am wondering if it has to do with Biotin and collagen supplements. I took so much biotin, that my B12 was higher than normal, when before the surgery I was deficient. Sincerely, all we can do is to do our best. Even if I would have Hair loss, the fact that after 15 years of insulin and metformin I am no longer a diabetic, it was worth all the struggle. Less hair is a good balance for no diabetes. 😀

18 minutes ago, MarisAthena said:

I am wondering if it has to do with Biotin and collagen supplements. I took so much Biotin, that my B12 was higher than normal, when before the surgery I was deficient. Sincerely, all we can do is to do our best. Even if I would have Hair loss, the fact that after 15 years of insulin and metformin I am no longer a diabetic, it was worth all the struggle. Less hair is a good balance for no diabetes. 😀

i very much agree with you, congrats on no longer being diabetic. That is the greatest news! I would have done the surgery many years earlier if i would have taken my primary care doctor more seriously when he first suggested it!!! Some times i have to refrain from giving others my input if they are overweight. It is just such an amazing tool, i wish everyone with a weight problem would consider having the surgery cuz i know what it has done for me and so many of us on here.

15 hours ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

Oh, interesting! I mean, that makes sense, if you're at risk for losing your hair to keep what you have as healthy and strong as possible. That's really smart advice!

Well, I can say my hair was completely virgin and I only use a blow dryer a couple times a YEAR...and I still lost about 2/3 of my hair. It seems like I was a particularly bad case, though. I got extremely sick around 2 months after my surgery.

Right, it makes sense but not sure if its necessary. I think I am going to try and not color and just see how it goes. I am so sorry to hear about getting so sick, hoping you are doing great now! ❤️