Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am now 14 days post op and I have been bleeding for 12 days. Prior to surgery I did not have a cycle just occasional spotting with mirena. Now every morning I wake up feeling bloated and cramping then it tapers off completely as day goes on. Has anyone else experienced this. I see a lot of post regarding period problems but nothing like this. I bleed every morning only. Also how are you all handling the cramps?

Everyone has wild hormones after this surgery, even me at my age. I felt like I was pregnant again. I was so weepy, bloated and hot. I found out on here that our hormones are locked in the fat cells that we are loosing very quickly, so we are super hormonal. Quite a few people have become pregnant in the first months. You seem to be having an added nuisance to handle.

I don't know if you are having problems because of this and I would advice you to see your Gynaecology team to be sure

Yeah, as you lose weight you release estrogen, which can cause irregular bleeding. If you ever had irregular bleeding or irregular ovulation before, this is probably compounding it. That said, I agree you should talk to your gyn about it. Any irregular bleeding should be closely monitored to ensure it's the weight loss that's doing it and not something else. They can do an ultrasound to see what your lining thickness looks like and if there is any reason to be concerned.

Prior to surgery I went about 9 months without my period. One month post op I got it and after that for the first 3 or so months, I was getting it up 2x per month sometimes only 10 days in between periods. I was told by my surgeon and primary doctor that it was normal because of the estrogen being released. I started the pill 30 days after the surgery and I'm more sensible to it now, if I do not take within 2 hrs of the scheduled time, in a few days I start bleeding.

I will contact your gyn to make sure its from the surgery and not something else as everyone is different.

I am so frustrated by this. I spoke with my surgeon and OB and no real answer as to the reason behind this. I’ve bled 22 of the last 30 days. All I can do is cry at this point. Either I’m bloated and camping or bleeding😩😩😩 OB did. suggest I take estradiol for 14 days to try and help stop it. So far it has not helped. This just makes the process more stressful for sure. that combines with the fact that I am loosing so slow. All I want to do is curl up in a ball😭

Edited by Ashley Amari

I don't see how taking more estrogen will help stop bleeding being caused by excess estrogen? But I'm not a doctor... Progesterone always helped my periods regulate but they weren't off for the same reasons yours are. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I once bled for a year straight so I can unfortunately empathize. I'm really surprised the surgeon isn't more help though, they should understand the shift in hormones post surgery better than your GYN. Are you on birth control pills? They might help. I'd talk to the GYN about progesterone if the estradiol didn't stop the bleeding... I hope it eases up soon!

Thank you so much. I was thinking the same thing about the estrogen. I was surprised the surgeon didn’t have any insight as well. I even asked was this normal after surgery and he basically said I should discuss it with OB. I have the mirena iud. I didn’t have any issues prior to surgery. I’m just hoping for a week of no bleeding, just a week.

Day 39: I’m miserable at this point. OB suggested having the mirena removed. Idk if I should give it more time to see if it balances out or what. Besides the daily cramping and bleeding, what’s most frustrating is that everyone seems to be at a loss regarding this. I’ve went from daily estrogen to now let’s just remove the iud. Not one times has anyone of my doctors said this was normal. My PCP said I will probably need an ablation. No consistency with responses at all.

9 hours ago, Ashley Amari said:

My PCP said I will probably need an ablation.

An IUD is known to cause spotting and irregular bleeding but if you used it before WLS with no problems, I would agree that it's probably a release of estrogen and hormonal changes due to surgery. But it seems excessive. I would make sure you are getting enough Iron or risk becoming anemic.

I wouldn't be too quick to have an Ablation either. Unless you are done having children. If so, then you would be taking care of two issues at once with no longer needing contraception and hopefully end the bleeding.

I was told by my OB GYN that I needed an Ablation a few years back but for different reasons. I had an ultrasound that showed a golf ball size fibroid tumor that was causing major bleeding. I was so desperate for it to stop that I scheduled the surgery. But after going home and reading up on the procedure, I quickly found others online who had avoided it by Water fasting. Those that had the same size tumor said it took 40 days for their bodies to rid themselves of it. So I called and cancelled the surgery. Doc didn't argue with me. Said give it a try and then we can re-access.

I don't think she thought I could do it, but I did. When I went back for a follow up, the gal doing the ultrasound found no trace of it. I told her my story and she was shocked and amazed. The body is capable of some pretty amazing things if we let it.

I said all that to say this.... I'm not advocating you water fast. Especially after WLS. But I would have a thorough exam to justify the need, if at all for an Ablation. But before even that, take out the IUD. Stop the hormones/meds. Take Iron if needed and let your body cleanse itself.

GL!!

Edited by BabySpoons

3 hours ago, BabySpoons said:

An IUD is known to cause spotting and irregular bleeding but if you used it before WLS with no problems, I would agree that it's probably a release of estrogen and hormonal changes due to surgery. But it seems excessive. I would make sure you are getting enough Iron or risk becoming anemic.

I wouldn't be too quick to have an Ablation either. Unless you are done having children. If so, then you would be taking care of two issues at once with no longer needing contraception and hopefully end the bleeding.

I was told by my OB GYN that I needed an Ablation a few years back but for different reasons. I had an ultrasound that showed a golf ball size fibroid tumor that was causing major bleeding. I was so desperate for it to stop that I scheduled the surgery. But after going home and reading up on the procedure, I quickly found others online who had avoided it by Water fasting. Those that had the same size tumor said it took 40 days for their bodies to rid themselves of it. So I called and cancelled the surgery. Doc didn't argue with me. Said give it a try and then we can re-access.

I don't think she thought I could do it, but I did. When I went back for a follow up, the gal doing the ultrasound found no trace of it. I told her my story and she was shocked and amazed. The body is capable of some pretty amazing things if we let it.

I said all that to say this.... I'm not advocating you Water fast. Especially after WLS. But I would have a thorough exam to justify the need, if at all for an Ablation. But before even that, take out the IUD. Stop the hormones/meds. Take Iron if needed and let your body cleanse itself.

GL!!

Thank you so much. I definitely think an ablation is extreme. This is my second mirena. I haven’t had any issues before now. I have an appointment tomorrow to get some labs done. I’ve stopped the estrogen after 7 days. It wasn’t helping. I will give it another week or so and if it continues I will have mirena moved and hopefully my body will balance itself out. I will look more into water fasting. I think it may be too early right now. Again thank you so much.

I'd hate for you to end up with an ablation for an issue that may just be caused by hormone fluctuations due to weight loss that will ease as your weight loss levels out. IUDs can be fussy things. My guess is that after surgery your hormones surged high enough to overpower the IUD's hormones and that's what caused the bleeding. It is also possible the lining hasn't shed properly either due to those hormones, or those hormones combined with the IUD and now you are stuck with daily breakthrough bleeding. Getting the IUD out might help or it may do nothing for the bleeding, it is hard to say. Did they do an ultrasound to see if the lining is built up? I'm really surprised everyone there is acting like they have no clue what caused this... This sucks! I can totally understand why you are miserable!

12 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

I'd hate for you to end up with an ablation for an issue that may just be caused by hormone fluctuations due to weight loss that will ease as your weight loss levels out. IUDs can be fussy things. My guess is that after surgery your hormones surged high enough to overpower the IUD's hormones and that's what caused the bleeding. It is also possible the lining hasn't shed properly either due to those hormones, or those hormones combined with the IUD and now you are stuck with daily breakthrough bleeding. Getting the IUD out might help or it may do nothing for the bleeding, it is hard to say. Did they do an ultrasound to see if the lining is built up? I'm really surprised everyone there is acting like they have no clue what caused this... This sucks! I can totally understand why you are miserable!

I agree, I think suggesting an ablation was a little extreme. I’m going to wait and hope everything balances out. I am going to request an ultrasound. I’ve been asking is this a normal occurrence. I’m okay if I just need to give my body time to adjust, I just didn’t want to be waiting and there actually be something else going on. Hopefully the labs and ultrasound will shed some insight. Thank you