Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Before Surgery

Happy Tuesday Everyone!!

So since I was three weeks out yesterday I decided that it's time to exercise before surgery. I have moderate osteoarthritis and when triggered there is hell to pay. I decided to go on a thirty minute walk around the neighborhood and I couldn't even do that without causing a flare-up after and being in extreme pain to the point of crying.

I have been on tylenol codeine #3 for arthiritis flare ups 3x daily and yesterday I decided to cut it out completely because I want to get rid of as many pills as possible in my system before surgery. Normally I would just take those and be fine but that wasn't an option yesterday and it was really bad. My point is I can't even walk continuously for long without being in extreme pain. I'm not bed ridden or anything just can't do it continuously and briskly like I hoped.

My point is how important is exercise before surgery? I have a tread mill and I'm going to try that today. Maybe straight walking on my joints was too much. Do you think not exercising much before will hinder my recovery or increase my chance of complications? This arthiritis, aside from my family and quality of life of course, is a main reason I decided enough is enough I'm doing this!

If walking bothers you, maybe you can do some weight lifting, instead..? Or maybe you can join an aquatic fitness class..?

I don't know how much of an impact 3-week's worth of exercise is going to have on your surgical outcome. But, I'm sure every little bit helps.

The problem with narcotics is that they will cause you to have pain, so that you have to take them. You might have an easier time weaning off of them, rather than just cold-turkey quitting.

Starting to exercise 3 weeks before surgery isn’t gonna change much of anything. Besides you can’t exercise for 6 weeks after.
When your six weeks are up ease into something slowly. Hopefully loosing weight will make it easier on your body to move more without being in pain.
Best of luck on your surgery & weight loss!

I didn't do any exercise before surgery, mostly because I was working crazy hours at work getting me out of daily tasks in case I was not able to get back to work as soon as I hoped.

I didn't really do any exercise after surgery either, except for walking. My spouse and I after a couple months were walking 8-10 miles 4 days a week, mostly on the Las Vegas strip.

Once I got to only 100 pounds overweight I decided to challenge myself to a running program similar to the 'Couch to 5K' (C25K) which get's you running 5k (about 3 miles) in a month. Turned out I enjoyed running and kept doing it, virtually every day and eventually up to 90 miles per week.

Exercise for it's own sake is not something I care to do. Doing things that I enjoy that are also exercise is what works for me. I wish I could still run, but that ship sailed 15 years ago when my chronic pain issues reared it's ugly head.

On your pain meds, you obviously take them for a reason. After surgery after you aren't carrying a lot of extra weight it may be possible to reduce or eliminate them. For me, the pain meds allow me to be active enough to care for my spouse.

Good luck.

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

My exercise pre surgery was down to zero. All covid we were confined to the house, two years of house arrest later and I could only vacuum a room and I had to sit down. I was really worried that the Anaesthetist would say I wasn't fit enough for surgery but they passed me. I started walking very carefully after surgery and slowly gained confidence and stamina. Now with almost 150lbs off me, I gallop about.

Pre covid, I used to do Aqua fit classes 3 times a week at 1 hour a time. It is so much fun and so easy on joints. I wish they had the classes in my area now

5 hours ago, MasonMoonGirl said:

Happy Tuesday Everyone!!

So since I was three weeks out yesterday I decided that it's time to exercise before surgery. I have moderate osteoarthritis and when triggered there is hell to pay. I decided to go on a thirty minute walk around the neighborhood and I couldn't even do that without causing a flare-up after and being in extreme pain to the point of crying.

I didn't add exercise before surgery but I did know there was no way I could start with a 30 minute walk, even though I could hike easier hikes.

Post surgery my surgery center's book said to start with 5 minutes every hour. That's where I would start in your shoes.

Side note: they had me up for 15 minutes every hour post op and continued that post discharge. Now I'm up to about 30 minutes as my first walk/hike in the morning then a few shorter walks later in the day.

exercise is great for overall health, but it really doesn't make a significant difference in weight loss (some difference - yes - but weight loss is 90% food intake, and only 10% exercise). If you're running marathons or spending half the day in the gym, well, yes - but hardly anyone has time for that. Exercise supposedly is more effective when trying to maintain weight. Suffice it to say, it's probably not going to make a significant difference - and if it hurts, don't do it.

I have arthritis, which is a gazillion times better now that I'm 200 lbs lighter, but I've always done aqua fitness classes - even when I weighed almost 400 lbs. Swimming, Water aerobics, or anything in water is very easy on the joints and is often recommended for people who have arthritis. So that's a possibility if you want to exercise and have that option. Otherwise, walking is always good as long as you can tolerate it.

Thanks everyone this makes me feel so much better. ❤️ I finally have an appointment with my surgeon on Thursday to discuss all of my health problems and concerns, but I like to compare it to what everyone whose been there thinks as well i get such good advice and tips from you guys on here. My all or nothing thinking really gets the best of me sometimes and has me thinking if I can't do it for 30 mins then it's not worth it at all which obviously isn't true!

I didn’t exercise before surgery & I didn’t after either. Just upped my daily activities & changed some routines (park further away, make multiple trips up & down my stairs to carry groceries, walk up escalators, walk at a pace, etc.). Sure I use resistance bands & do some stretches now but that’s really for my back & to keep me limber - I wouldn’t burn 30 calories. Not exercising didn’t hinder my weight loss or maintenance (lost more than my goal & have maintained with about a kilogram regain from my lowest weight - am four years post surgery).

I also ‘exercise snack’. That is I do my stretches, etc. in short batches about 4 times a day 5-10 minutes each. They say this is just as beneficial as doing a single period of activity. You may find that easier on your body.

Exercising only accounts for about 10% of any weight you are to lose. So want to lose 100lbs, exercising may only help you lose about 10lbs. Of course there are many other benefits to being active. Try using resistance bands to build strength, look into the you tube videos about exercises for those with mobility issues. A lot are done seated or lying down. Water based activities may be useful. Try one of those recumbent exercise bikes (hire before you buy) as they put less pressure on your joints.

Honestly OP at all stages of your weight loss journey I would recommend avoiding any exercise that causes you significant pain. It will only hold you back.

As everyone else has said, the surgery will let you lose lots of weight whether or not you do ANY exercise on top. The benefit of waiting for some initial loss is that exercise should then be much less painful and much more productive as time goes on.

I decided to hold off on the exercise and just do what others have suggested which is park further and walk farther stuff like that. I'm also laser focused on my diet and am not eating more than 1500 calories and then 12 days ahead not eating more than 1200. I'm doing surprisingly well on my semi liquid diet. I thought i would be so hungry and really I'm not really ever that hungry at all. Today is day 3 and I felt weak and a little out of it and had some headache but it passed. 2 weeks until surgery will be here before you know it!