Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I had my RNY 15 days ago. I'll be 55 years old next month. I'm 5'4 and my top weight was 248. Pre op I was 231 (lost weight with pre-op diet hell). Currently sitting at 222 lbs. Still on Full liquid stage with starting the pureed on 4/19. No real hunger pangs at all, just weakish. Weighing myself just once a week. I've always been hard on myself, so weighing once a week, I think, will keep things more in perspective for me. I'm down 9 lbs since surgery and trying hard not to tell myself it should be more! I'm Feeling pretty good. Was REALLY sore for that first week, but feeling more comfortable every day. I'm just bummed about the lack of energy I still feel. I can toodle around the house fine, do chores, etc, but when it comes to going to the store, short walks, etc, I get wiped out SO easily. Going back to work next Monday and dreading the 10+ hour days I do. Luckily it's just 3 days a week with another half day thrown in there (I average ~35 hours/week). Can't afford to take off any more work. Anyone else experience this? I'm averaging ~500 calories/day, which I know isn't much and that's likely the reason. Currently having 2 Protein shakes/day. My doc put a note into the dietician to reach out to me about all this. I'm grateful to have found this site! :) :) By the way, I can't seem to figure out how to have my "Weight loss ticker" show on my posts. Help?

Edited by MelbaT

Welcome Melba!
The tiredness will get better as you are able to add more solid foods. Try to eat 5 small meals that are high in Protein a day. That should really help.
Good luck returning to work.

Yup, you seem to be on the normal track.

Im 6 weeks out and just now getting some energy back.

as far as losing 7 lbs in two weeks, that's actually pretty normal. I know a lot of people think we should be losing 30+ lbs the first month, but that's thanks to shows like "My 600 lb Life". Keep in mind that the people on that show start out MUCH heavier than most of us, so that kind of loss would be very unusual in more "normal" WLS patients. Most of us seem to lose somewhere in the 15-25 lb range the first month - and given that you started out at a lower weight than a lot of us, I would expect you'll be somewhere on the lower end of that range by month's end.

I lost 16 lbs the first month, and I started out MUCH heavier than you (and starting BMI is one of the factors that affects your rate of weight loss - or at least early on). As long as you follow your plan and your overall trend is downward, despite the occasionally fluctuation or stall, you're golden. In the end, your success will be due to how compliant you are to the plan - not how fast or slow the weight comes off.

Hello and welcome. You are very wise not to weigh yourself everyday. The rate of weight lost is so stop start and stop again. If you have to go back to work then rest as much as you can around the work times. Snooze if you can, whenever you can. Leave the housework until next month, ignore it. Your first week back will be hard. Pack lots of little snack packs and lots of drinks.

I think you’re doing okay too. As for the exhaustion & lack of energy remember you’ve just had pretty major surgery. Imagine a 12 inch deep wound on your arm or leg & all the sutures & staples holding it together. Consider how you’d treat that wound gently & give it time to fully heal before doing too much. It’s the sane with this surgery. It’s going to take time to heal & your body is going to be putting energy into your healing & recovery. Listen to your body. If you have little energy or feel tired rest & take it easy. Pushing yourself too much may slow your recovery.

We all recover in our own time. Some are back at work after a week. I took four weeks & then started a part time contract. I needed all those four weeks & more but I always seem to take longer to recover & heal from everything so it was expected.

Maybe give your work a call & see if you can initially come back on reduced hours until you’re stronger.

Hi all! I had my RNY 15 days ago. I'll be 55 years old next month. I'm 5'4 and my top weight was 248. Pre op I was 231 (lost weight with pre-op diet hell). Currently sitting at 222 lbs. Still on Full liquid stage with starting the pureed on 4/19. No real hunger pangs at all, just weakish. Weighing myself just once a week. I've always been hard on myself, so weighing once a week, I think, will keep things more in perspective for me. I'm down 9 lbs since surgery and trying hard not to tell myself it should be more! I'm Feeling pretty good. Was REALLY sore for that first week, but feeling more comfortable every day. I'm just bummed about the lack of energy I still feel. I can toodle around the house fine, do chores, etc, but when it comes to going to the store, short walks, etc, I get wiped out SO easily. Going back to work next Monday and dreading the 10+ hour days I do. Luckily it's just 3 days a week with another half day thrown in there (I average ~35 hours/week). Can't afford to take off any more work. Anyone else experience this? I'm averaging ~500 calories/day, which I know isn't much and that's likely the reason. Currently having 2 Protein shakes/day. My doc put a note into the dietician to reach out to me about all this. I'm grateful to have found this site! [emoji4] [emoji4] By the way, I can't seem to figure out how to have my "Weight loss ticker" show on my posts. Help?

I'm close to your timeline with similar surgery. I had RNY with hernia repair on 3/29. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out, down 14 lbs so far. I'm 5'2" and weight day of surgery was 203.8. I feel we are both well within "normal" range for progress. I'm pleased with the results honestly...it would have taken me 4-5 months to lose that much before the surgery. Lol.

My energy is also pretty low, I know how you feel. You start wondering if it will ever get better. But based on what I have heard from others, it definitely will. I'm still in pain on the left side and near the belly button. My surgeon ordered a CT scan this week, but it showed nothing significant. I just have to accept the fact that recovery will take longer this time. I've had 2 c-sections and this is most definitely worse. Lol

I stared back to work this week. Honestly, I'm grateful to have a desk job and work from home. But the mental fog and fatigue is real. I asked my manager to ease back into projects and such, knowing I won't be mentally sharp for a while. I move to soft foods at the end of this week. I can't wait to feel normal again!

I wish you all the best. Please give yourself grace, as others have said. There is no right or wrong way to heal...we just have to do what is necessary for our personal needs. Take care! [emoji8]

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you all for the kindness and support! I appreciate you!🥰