Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Three Month Marker?

When I started considering WLS, particularly VSG Surgery, I researched extensively. I read medical studies, case histories, personal blogs and watched hundreds of hours of YouTube videos posted by patients and bariatric surgeons. I cannot remember where I read or saw the European study called "The Three Month Marker", nor have I been able to find the article or video again. The "supposed" study was of VSG patients and their success rates. The results of the study indicated that the total average weight loss at 12 months post-op was double the amount lost at the 3 month post-op mark for patients who closely followed the bariatric guidelines.

Has anyone else heard about "The Three Month Marker"? For those who are at least 12 months post-op, does this study relate to your experience?

Edited by hills&valleys

This video by Dr Pilcher mentions it. (It’s a very good video & he has other informative ones too.) But with all statistics & averages, some people don’t meet them & some exceed them. They just give you an idea of what you might expect.

I’m almost four years post surgery. Personally, I’d lost 17kg at 3 months (from surgery weight). I reached goal at 6 months having lost 27kgs. At 12 months, I’d lost 36kg so about double as they suggest. But from that 6 month mark I was trying not to lose - my body though was working at getting to my new set point where it was happiest (& I actually am too). Who knows what I might have lost if I was actively still trying to lose during the second half of the first year. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The first three months are often called the honeymoon phase when the benefits of the surgery are at their optimal effectiveness. After that your weight loss rate starts to slow, for many they’re appetite & hunger may start to come back, etc. After that, your success depends more & more on you.

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

I’m almost four years post surgery. Personally, I’d lost 17kg at 3 months (from surgery weight). I reached goal at 6 months having lost 27kgs. At 12 months, I’d lost 36kg so about double as they suggest.

The first three months are often called the honeymoon phase when the benefits of the surgery are at their optimal effectiveness. After that your weight loss rate starts to slow, for many they’re appetite & hunger may start to come back, etc. After that, your success depends more & more on you.

Thank you for sharing your experience and the video!

I'm one year post-op. I lost 46 lbs. at 3 months and 83 lbs. at 12 months. A little bit less than anticipated by the formula, but I lost all of my excess body weight, so I wouldn't have wanted to lose anymore.

Edited by losinglosinglosing

3 hours ago, hills&valleys said:

Has anyone else heard about "The Three Month Marker"?

First time I hear about it. Seems to be yet another little tool for inducing even more anxiety in patients when it comes to "reaching their goals".

Patients putting themselves under pressure is already really, really common - this will put even more pressure on them when it comes to weight loss within the first three months ("I have about 200 lbs to lose to reach a normal BMI but I've only lost 80 lbs in the first 3 months and studies say...").

Err.

I've heard something like that, but it didn't apply to me at all. I just checked - I'd lost 40 lbs at three months out and 130 lbs at the year mark.

maybe this formula applies to a lot of people, but I really don't like these kinds of things because it just causes worry and anxiety in people if they're not reaching certain "goals" at certain points in their journey. Especially those of us who were slower losers. I was a slow but steady loser and lost all of my excess weight by 20-months out. I would have been really discouraged if I paid attention to these kinds of predictions and took them to heart.

(for some reason my post above posted twice - and this thing won't let me delete the duplicate)

Edited by catwoman7

At the 3-month mark I was down about 55 pounds. At the year mark I was down 121. So...yeah I lost a little less than half my weight. I would caution you against comparing your progress to others though; everyone's situation is different and there are a lot of factors that could affect that.

Thank you for your responses. Maybe this does apply to some but it sounds like it is more of a hit and miss and should be taken with extreme skepticism. I'm just over two weeks out from surgery and lost 9 lbs the first week and nothing since. I realize I am in the dreaded stall but it certainly doesn't bode well for my progress if using a 3 month formula to calculate my total loss!

16 minutes ago, hills&valleys said:

Thank you for your responses. Maybe this does apply to some but it sounds like it is more of a hit and miss and should be taken with extreme skepticism. I'm just over two weeks out from surgery and lost 9 lbs the first week and nothing since. I realize I am in the dreaded stall but it certainly doesn't bode well for my progress if using a 3 month formula to calculate my total loss!

You started at a relatively low BMI. Many low BMI folks, including me, lose all or almost all of their excess weight.

You're going to do great. Just stay focused and follow the plan.

Edited by losinglosinglosing

17 hours ago, losinglosinglosing said:

You started at a relatively low BMI. Many low BMI folks, including me, lose all or almost all of their excess weight.

You're going to do great. Just stay focused and follow the plan.

Agreed, your starting weight is actually fairly slim in comparison with a lot of people you see on here; less to lose means it may come off more slowly.