Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else doing this in their 60's?

Hi all!
I am 5 weeks out of bypass surgery and will turn 61 tomorrow. The healing process has been easier than I expected. I initially went in to get help with my hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux. Long story short, my surgeon told me that bypass would be the best answer for me. I was recently diagnosed as a diabetic and have high BP. Both of those are so much better that I am off my diabetes meds already and hoping my BP meds will be reduced soon.

I go for a follow up with my dr. next week. I am hoping to get cleared to do more exercising than just walking. My sister-in-law wants me to join her doing some high intensity workouts with an online program she belongs to. She is very fit already (she is a kick ass police officer) so I have some catching up to do! I want to strengthen my arms, legs and abs to get ready for golf season. I am an avid golfer, not the best in our league but I only started a few years ago. Very competitive chick here!

When I went for a group meeting (others going through the same surgery) with the nutritionist a couple weeks before surgery, I was by far the oldest one in the room which I was just fine with. Just wondering if there are any more of you out there in my age group that are also on this journey.

Had sleeve last this past December at 66. Just getting back into running and strength training. I officiate football and lacrosse. Slowly moving back to both. I have no regrets, best decision I could have made for myself. Dropped diabetes meds day after surgery and down to one BP med (soon to be none). The golf will be a great source of strength and conditioning. Good luck on this journey!

2 minutes ago, Voogs said:

Had sleeve last this past December at 66. Just getting back into running and strength training. I officiate football and lacrosse. Slowly moving back to both. I have no regrets, best decision I could have made for myself. Dropped diabetes meds day after surgery and down to one BP med (soon to be none). The golf will be a great source of strength and conditioning. Good luck on this journey!

Thanks and good luck to you also!

Thank you for posting this! I am 60 and am in the pre-op phase. I have also noticed that most people going through this process are much younger. It is nice to know there others in my age range! If there is ever a forum for "over 55" or "over 60" I will be the first to join! :)

There are lots of us in the over 60's and some over 70's. All, I think are sorry they did not do it sooner in life. I also am not diabetic anymore and do not need any blood pressure meds. Win win

6 hours ago, ToInfinityAndBeyond said:

Thank you for posting this! I am 60 and am in the pre-op phase. I have also noticed that most people going through this process are much younger. It is nice to know there others in my age range! If there is ever a forum for "over 55" or "over 60" I will be the first to join! :)

Good luck!

4 hours ago, MountainClover said:

Im having my bypass in 1 week and I am 69!! I am so excited!!!

Good luck to you!

3 hours ago, summerseeker said:

There are lots of us in the over 60's and some over 70's. All, I think are sorry they did not do it sooner in life. I also am not diabetic anymore and do not need any blood pressure meds. Win win

Good to hear!

Yep, I’m 66 and having my VSG on the 29th so have started my LSD diet today. If I would have known that my insurance would cover the surgery I would have done it sooner, but maybe I wouldn’t have been ready then who knows. I’m nervous but excited at the same time. You will do great!

In my 60s too. Welcome!

Sleeved 9-1-2022, one week shy of 71! Best decision ever!!! Best Wishes

9 hours ago, MamiMB said:

If I would have known that my insurance would cover the surgery I would have done it sooner, but maybe I wouldn’t have been ready then who knows.

exactly the same here. Even though I wish I'd have done it in my 30s, I don't think I would have been ready and probably wouldn't have been as successful. Plus those of us in our age range probably remember the days when these surgeries were still pretty risky. They're just not anymore. It took me awhile to become convinced of that. I'm so happy I had it and wish I hadn't waited so long.

12 hours ago, MamiMB said:

Yep, I’m 66 and having my VSG on the 29th so have started my LSD diet today. If I would have known that my insurance would cover the surgery I would have done it sooner, but maybe I wouldn’t have been ready then who knows. I’m nervous but excited at the same time. You will do great!

Good luck!