Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pureed Stage 14 days post op

I started my pureed stage about 5 days ago and I'll continue it for 3-4 more weeks I'm going to talk to my doctor about this but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get through this stage more easily.I've been a bit depressed and have been sleeping a ton so I haven't been able to get much food in me.I'm drinking 3 Protein Shakes a day.Since it's around Christmas time I did cheat a bit.I really wanna progress to solid foods mainly because I have texture issues because of this I'm trying to stick to getting my Protein mainly through the shakes.I'll have some yogurt,pudding and applesauce all sugar free of course.I'm just getting a bit mad at myself for wanting to eat junk.That's like all I think about,its frustrating because I wanna stick to the post op goals and eat healthy and not get sick or risk a leak or damage.I'm gonna talk to my NP in about 2 weeks maybe they'll have a solution and before any of you judge me for wanting to eat junk food (I haven't eaten any since before my pre surgery diet) I have a lot of trauma around food.I grew up eating out a lot because of my grandparents and in my young mind thought that food=love.I also have texture issues.Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Try not to be so hard on yourself, the 1st couple of months can be hard. Your body has gone through a huge trauma & that’s why you are so tired.
For the puréed stage I would make my family a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, celery & onion. The works. Then I would take a little bit of each & purée it in my magic bullet with some of the juices. I would also add unflavored Protein Powder to the mix. It was really good. It was like I was making my own high Protein baby food.
Maybe you could see a therapist to help your work through your food issues.
The more weight that you loose the more energy you will have!

Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, toodlerue said:

Try not to be so hard on yourself, the 1st couple of months can be hard. Your body has gone through a huge trauma & that’s why you are so tired.
For the puréed stage I would make my family a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, celery & onion. The works. Then I would take a little bit of each & purée it in my magic bullet with some of the juices. I would also add unflavored Protein Powder to the mix. It was really good. It was like I was making my own high Protein baby food.
Maybe you could see a therapist to help your work through your food issues.
The more weight that you loose the more energy you will have!

Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I see a therapist every week and I'm hoping to push through.I know this is just a small part in my whole weight loss journey and eventually I will be able to eat relatively normal stuff in about 6 weeks with the occasional treat here and there.That's what I keep reminding myself that this stage is temporary. I'll be a lot happier 6 months down the road! :)

I’m 2 weeks post op and on liquid diet. I’ll start my purée stage when I reach the 3rd week. I completely understand you! I’ve been craving junk food, I had to do 10 days liquid diet pre op. Food made me happy, I’ve been depressed because I can’t eat, I’ve been trying to think ahead, I’m 2 months all this will be worthy

You’re depressed (& likely bored, tired, stressed, sad, frustrated, etc. - it can be an emotional roller coaster) so you crave junk food to comfort you then you feel down because you’re craving junk food. It’s an awful cycle without any easy solution or cure. I’m glad you’re seeing a therapist who should help you start to work your way through this.

The tiredness is very common and part of your body healing & recovering from what is pretty major surgery. It does get better & you’ll eventually notice you have more energy especially as you start to eat a broader range of foods.in the meantime enjoy those mid morning & mid afternoon naps I say.

Can’t offer any suggestions about your textural issues in regards to purées. You can purée many foods just be adding enough stock, gravy, milk, Water, etc. to keep it moist & dollopy. It may be a case of trying different things to see what you tolerate best. But puréed Soups & slow cooked stews, sloppy scrambled eggs, yoghurt, applesauce, custard, mashed boiled eggs with mayo, milky instant oats, etc. are a good place to begin. Personally the worst thing I puréed was tinned fish - disgusting. I even ate baby food a couple of times as it was no prep needed.

Edited by Arabesque

I had texture issues too and my entire purée stage consisted of Soup hummus, refried Beans and mashed potatoes (yes my team permitted them) along with yogurt and Protein Shakes. It wasn’t much variety and yea it got very old but I survived it. I didn’t think of it but puréed sweet potatoes would have added a little more variety. Keep in mind also you can purée any soup you like. Just make sure to supplement with shakes if the meals do not have much Protein.

23 hours ago, Livia B said:

I’m 2 weeks post op and on liquid diet. I’ll start my purée stage when I reach the 3rd week. I completely understand you! I’ve been craving junk food, I had to do 10 days liquid diet pre op. Food made me happy, I’ve been depressed because I can’t eat, I’ve been trying to think ahead, I’m 2 months all this will be worthy" I totally agree! Thats whats keeping me going as well as being able to have the things i used to love in moderation

Edited by meganannie
Misclicked send

I disliked the purée stage so much I mostly stuck to liquids until the next stage was oked. It worked out. Holidays food for me is like FOMO. That fear of missing out on special foods only offered during that holiday. I have a bite, move on, get back on track. That seems to be a successful tool most people figure out who keep the weight off long term.