Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post op status and questions

Lost 47lbs from 2022 mid summer high point and 30lbs since 9/12/22 sleeve surgery.

Had doubts on doing the surgery given my age (69) and 36.7 bmi but received a lot of encouragement from fellow travelers.

The most difficult part for me is recognizing that eating will never be the same.

I can’t physically eat a lot and now get satiated with very little. This is very different from how I lived. I would always eat a lot.

Some foods taste differently and since my eyes are still larger than my stomach I tend to leave food on my plate.

If I eat too much or too quickly, dumping is a real threat.

The other challenge is staying hydrated. I don’t get enough Water from food (fruits and salads) and need to constantly have a water bottle nearby and remember to use it. This has been a struggle.

After 3 months these are my key issues. Overall the weight loss and general good feeling compensate any challenges.

Would love to hear from + 6 or 12 months fellow travelers.

Does taste improve?

Can quantity increase to allow for salad and veggies?

Does hydration improve?

Thanks.

quantity definitely increases over time. Lifetime monitoring becomes pretty important if you want to keep the weight from coming back. I don't eat anywhere near where I used to, but on the other hand, no one would be able to tell I've had weight loss surgery. They just assume I'm a fairly light eater - but that's not anything different from a lot of my other women friends who've never been obese.

yes you'll eventually be able to eat salad and veggies.

my taste didn't really change in that I didn't like things that I liked before or vice versa, but my sense of taste became more intense after surgery. Sweet things tasted sweeter; spicy things tasted spicier. I don't notice it anymore and haven't for several years. Not sure if it gradually went away, or if I just got used to it.

hydration has never really been a problem for me. For me, it helped drinking a 16 oz bottle of flavored water every morning before I had anything else, even coffee. Then I already had two cups of fluids knocked out before I even showered or got dressed.

do you know for sure that you dump? It's actually fairly rare with sleevers - although not unheard of.

Thanks for your insight.
I thought I dumped.
Without getting too graphic, when I overeat or eat too quickly I get a strong feeling of nausea that is only relieved after a heave/ho. Once I’ve expelled even the smallest quantity, I’m good again.
This has happened x 5 in 3 months.

Lost 47lbs from 2022 mid summer high point and 30lbs since 9/12/22 sleeve surgery.

Had doubts on doing the surgery given my age (69) and 36.7 bmi but received a lot of encouragement from fellow travelers.

The most difficult part for me is recognizing that eating will never be the same.

I can’t physically eat a lot and now get satiated with very little. This is very different from how I lived. I would always eat a lot.

Some foods taste differently and since my eyes are still larger than my stomach I tend to leave food on my plate.

If I eat too much or too quickly, dumping is a real threat.

The other challenge is staying hydrated. I don’t get enough Water from food (fruits and salads) and need to constantly have a water bottle nearby and remember to use it. This has been a struggle.

After 3 months these are my key issues. Overall the weight loss and general good feeling compensate any challenges.

Does taste improve?

Can quantity increase to allow for salad and veggies?

Does hydration improve?

Thanks.

Taste and enjoyment of eating definitely improves. Quantity increases a bit as well. When I travel, eating a little bite of everything is what works for me. I get to try new and different foods that I may never have the opportunity to try again, and I don't get stuffed.

As far as hydration, because I can't drink during meals, I do bring a travel thermos with me everywhere. I sip throughout the day, stop before I eat, then an hour after dinner, I continue to sip through my journeys.

4 hours ago, Young 69 yrs said:

Thanks for your insight.
I thought I dumped.
Without getting too graphic, when I overeat or eat too quickly I get a strong feeling of nausea that is only relieved after a heave/ho. Once I’ve expelled even the smallest quantity, I’m good again.
This has happened x 5 in 3 months.

dumping can sometimes involve nausea - but it's usually chills or sweating, heart palpitations, dizziness, and diarrhea that, as I recall, can last a couple of hours. It happens when you eat too much sugar or fat at one sitting. It's more common with bypass than sleeve, but only about 30% of bypassers dump. I never have - although I kind of wish I WAS a dumper since that would definitely cut down on any sugar binges!! You may just be overeating - I've also vomited at times when I've overeaten.

Everything improves & gets easier. Taste comes back. You continue to eat larger portions as you progress & a wider variety of foods. You get into better routines & your tummy is less sensitive. You also learn your body’s idiosyncrasies & needs.

Check with your plan. I was able to eat vegetables from soft food (in stews, Soups, omelettes at that stage & then as sides & fresh). Initially from the soIid food stage, I could only eat like a small cauliflower floret or two green Beans or about a dessertspoon of steamed cabbage. I was also only eating 1/4 - 1/3 cup of food then too but by 6 months I was almost eating a cup (depending on the food). Now I eat about a regular portion size.

Establish a routine with your drinking like how @catwoman7 does with what she drinks before Breakfast. Many find success with setting a reminder on their phone to drink. I have routine of what I drink during specific times during the day & so by around 2ish I’ve had half my daily intake. I find it easier to drink as the day passes & I drink during the night too. (Get up to pee, drink. Pee & drink again.) If I’m driving, I drink when I get in & when I get out of the car & I’ll drink when I stop at traffic lights - it’s just become habit now. I don’t count any fluids in foods (except when I was on shakes) like not in Soup - that’s just bonus Fluid. Only exception is rolled oats. Don’t count the required 3/4 cup milk to make them but do count the additional 1/2 cup I add so it’s extra runny. I easily get in 1.75L a day but often get in 2L or more (2L = 67oz).

I don’t think you experienced dumping either (usually caused by eating. high sugar foods or highly processed simple carbs). Sounds more like the foamies which can occur as a result of eating too quickly, over eating or eating food that is too dry or coarse. (You regurgitate the excess food or food your tummy can’t cope with, usually with foamy, almost sticky phlegm.)

Does taste improve? YES

Can quantity increase to allow for salad and veggies? YES

Does hydration improve? YES

Thanks 😁

On 12/10/2022 at 4:23 PM, catwoman7 said:

quantity definitely increases over time. Lifetime monitoring becomes pretty important if you want to keep the weight from coming back. I don't eat anywhere near where I used to, but on the other hand, no one would be able to tell I've had weight loss surgery. They just assume I'm a fairly light eater - but that's not anything different from a lot of my other women friends who've never been obese.

yes you'll eventually be able to eat salad and veggies.

my taste didn't really change in that I didn't like things that I liked before or vice versa, but my sense of taste became more intense after surgery. Sweet things tasted sweeter; spicy things tasted spicier. I don't notice it anymore and haven't for several years. Not sure if it gradually went away, or if I just got used to it.

hydration has never really been a problem for me. For me, it helped drinking a 16 oz bottle of flavored water every morning before I had anything else, even coffee. Then I already had two cups of fluids knocked out before I even showered or got dressed.

do you know for sure that you dump? It's actually fairly rare with sleevers - although not unheard of.

I have a sleeve and am one of the "lucky" people who dump...it seems like any combination of alcohol with carbs is what causes it the worse, but potatoes and apples do it to me also. I've fainted a few times because of it.