Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did gastric sleeve, and right after, I underwent rapid weight loss, appearing most conspicuously in my face and neck. Will I ever gain a fit look on my face and neck after such a rapid loss of weight following gastric sleeve?

It's really all up to genetics, age, how much you weighed, how long, hydration and nutrition, but mostly genetics. There's no way to tell, if it doesn't bounce right back in 6 months-1 year, give it more time, sometimes it takes years for skin to bounce back, It might not be 100% but it will improve with time.

Usually with skin removal surgeries they want people to have been maintaining for at least 1 year, that's because of the risk of regaining but also because they want you to give your skin time to bounce back. Some people find after a few years they didn't need to have surgery and the skin having stretched wasn't as bad, some get CO2 laser and that's enough, but this is usually years after maintenance.

Since it's the face, I don't think it's going to be much of a problem, but only time will tell. So eat right, make sure you're reaching your nutritional goals, keep hydrated and give your body the best chance it has to heal and recover, the rest will be all up to genetics. Once you've maintained for awhile, if you're not happy, chat to a dermatologist or maybe look into surgery.

Just focus on the goals ahead of you, losing and getting healthier, tackle the possibility of loose skin when you're up to that stage :)

All the best with your journey,

You've got this!

You look young, so you're in with a much better chance of skin regaining some elasticity over time than someone my age. My neck was the first part of me to really start showing the ol' skin-slack, so much so I just had to have a sense of humour about it. That said, with a consistent, targeted skin care regime with high actives, there's been definite improvements to both my face and neck (my body on the other hand, I'm just gonna have to learn to love that loose skin). From what others have said who are years out, your body will go through a settling period, so don't assume you've achieved your "final form" until a good stretch of time. Hydration, nutrition, some good skincare and spf, and patience and you'll likely see things settle.

I'm 44 and just over 6 months post op and I have, what my husband calls, a "turkey neck" now. No more double chin, but a lot of loose skin that isn't looking that great lol I have a lot of loose skin right now, and I really don't care about the rest of it, but the neck is driving me nuts. I drink over 90oz of fluids per day and take a collagen/biotin/keratin/hyaluronic acid powder every day. And it's not really helping. But it is what it is. It'll either resolve itself or I'll have surgery later on down the road.

I feel you, I hate how my neck looks. I have turkey neck but I don't care. I look and feel better than before the weight loss.

Thank you very much for your answers, y'all! Without any exceptions, and I mean it. I really appreciate telling me all about the problems you've faced and potential solutions. Weight problems are as difficult as they are, I appreciate that there are others who have the same problem (and sometimes even the same kinds of problems). For the time being, I've decided to give it some time and, if there is a need for it, then I would decide to proceed with a surgical procedure such as non-ablative partial laser resurfacing. If not, perhaps I can be patient and wait it out until my weight and appearance may stabilize after a waiting period.

As @SmolGojira says, there are lots of factors that will influence how much loose skin you have on your face & your body. But there are non invasive & minimally invasive things you can do to help to a degree if you aren’t happy.

First, give your body a chance to resettle after you’ve lost your weight. It can be quite amazing how your body almost reshuffles your remaining fat after you’re reached your goal. In maintenance you’ll be eating a broader range of nutrients including more carbs (multi/whole grain low processed carbs) which help too.

Initially I had lots of fine lines running down from under my chin. I did a series of RF treatments & with time & a broader diet most disappeared. This year I had some filler into the sides of my face in front of my ears where I had hollows totally empty of fat & that gave a slight & natural looking lift to the marionette lines around my mouth. I’ve also had one session of derma pen to help with acne scarring but will be transitioning to the combined dermal needling & RF instead which supposedly is more likely to provide skin tightening.

I also have dysport/Botox but that’s for my vanity wrinkles - LOL!

You can try taking collagen & silica. But like derma needling, topical or ingested collagen will still take about 3 months for you to see any effects (the natural skin cycle). Topical skin products like hylaurinic acid, Vitamin C, collagen oils & such can help make your skin, brighter, plumper, even out skin tone & texture & generally give you a healthy glow which will somewhat distract from any laxity you may have. I believe the effects of many of these will depend on you - your genetics, how your body processes/absorbs them & how much your skin is in need.

One bonus of the weight loss was the deep lines that encircled my neck (fat creases) are barely visible in some light. Best is I have a jaw line, cheek bones & visible eye lids (hooded lids no more), my neck is longer & thinner & I look like me because my face isn’t distorted by fat.

Before you do anything though, educate yourself. Be informed on the possible benefits & side effects. Don’t get caught up with what a beauty therapist is selling, influencers are promoting or latest fad. I started seeing a cosmetic physician this year for my treatments & I appreciate her honesty & straight talking about treatments & products. She often says don’t waste your money doing that.

Sorry for the long post.

21 hours ago, SmolGojira said:

It's really all up to genetics, age, how much you weighed, how long, hydration and nutrition, but mostly genetics. There's no way to tell, if it doesn't bounce right back in 6 months-1 year, give it more time, sometimes it takes years for skin to bounce back, It might not be 100% but it will improve with time.

Usually with skin removal surgeries they want people to have been maintaining for at least 1 year, that's because of the risk of regaining but also because they want you to give your skin time to bounce back. Some people find after a few years they didn't need to have surgery and the skin having stretched wasn't as bad, some get CO2 laser and that's enough, but this is usually years after maintenance.

Since it's the face, I don't think it's going to be much of a problem, but only time will tell. So eat right, make sure you're reaching your nutritional goals, keep hydrated and give your body the best chance it has to heal and recover, the rest will be all up to genetics. Once you've maintained for awhile, if you're not happy, chat to a dermatologist or maybe look into surgery.

Just focus on the goals ahead of you, losing and getting healthier, tackle the possibility of loose skin when you're up to that stage :)

All the best with your journey,

You've got this!

It's great to hear that you are considering all of your options when it comes to loose skin. It is true that there are many factors that play into how our skin responds to weight loss, and genetics is definitely one of the biggest ones. However, there are a few things that you can do to help your skin bounce back, even if it takes a little longer than you'd like.

First and foremost, make sure that you are eating a healthy, balanced diet and getting enough Protein. This will help your skin to heal and repair itself from the inside out. Additionally, staying hydrated is key for keeping your skin looking its best. Make sure to drink plenty of Water throughout the day, and consider adding a daily moisturizer to your skin care routine.

Finally, give yourself time. It can take months or even years for your skin to fully adjust to your new body, so be patient and give your skin the time it needs to bounce back. If you are still unhappy with your appearance after a few years, then you can always talk to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon about your options.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep all of this in mind as I continue on my journey.

21 hours ago, Smanky said:

You look young, so you're in with a much better chance of skin regaining some elasticity over time than someone my age. My neck was the first part of me to really start showing the ol' skin-slack, so much so I just had to have a sense of humour about it. That said, with a consistent, targeted skin care regime with high actives, there's been definite improvements to both my face and neck (my body on the other hand, I'm just gonna have to learn to love that loose skin). From what others have said who are years out, your body will go through a settling period, so don't assume you've achieved your "final form" until a good stretch of time. Hydration, nutrition, some good skincare and spf, and patience and you'll likely see things settle.

Thanks for the advice! I am only a few months out, so I am hopeful that my skin will tighten up a bit more over time. I am being very consistent with my skin care regimen and using sunscreen religiously, so fingers crossed that will help! I am also drinking tons of water and eating pretty well, so hopefully that will make a difference too. I know it will take time and patience, but I am hopeful that I will see some more improvement.

5 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I'm 44 and just over 6 months post op and I have, what my husband calls, a "turkey neck" now. No more double chin, but a lot of loose skin that isn't looking that great lol I have a lot of loose skin right now, and I really don't care about the rest of it, but the neck is driving me nuts. I drink over 90oz of fluids per day and take a collagen/biotin/keratin/hyaluronic acid powder every day. And it's not really helping. But it is what it is. It'll either resolve itself or I'll have surgery later on down the road.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling with your loose skin! I can completely understand how frustrating it must be. Have you considered talking to your doctor about surgery? It sounds like you've been doing everything right in terms of taking care of yourself, but sometimes our bodies need a little extra help. Surgery could be the answer for you and it's always worth exploring all of your options.

1 hour ago, Candigrl1 said:

I feel you, I hate how my neck looks. I have turkey neck but I don't care. I look and feel better than before the weight loss.

I had never even heard of "turkey neck" until I started my weight loss journey. I was always unhappy with how my neck looked, but I thought it was just because I was overweight. Now that I've lost the weight, turkey neck is one of the things that bothers me most about my appearance. It's really hard to feel good about myself when people are constantly pointing out how saggy and wrinkled my skin looks. But you're right - at the end of the day, being healthy and feeling good about myself is more important than anything else!

4 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

As @SmolGojira says, there are lots of factors that will influence how much loose skin you have on your face & your body. But there are non invasive & minimally invasive things you can do to help to a degree if you aren’t happy.

First, give your body a chance to resettle after you’ve lost your weight. It can be quite amazing how your body almost reshuffles your remaining fat after you’re reached your goal. In maintenance you’ll be eating a broader range of nutrients including more carbs (multi/whole grain low processed carbs) which help too.

Initially I had lots of fine lines running down from under my chin. I did a series of RF treatments & with time & a broader diet most disappeared. This year I had some filler into the sides of my face in front of my ears where I had hollows totally empty of fat & that gave a slight & natural looking lift to the marionette lines around my mouth. I’ve also had one session of derma pen to help with acne scarring but will be transitioning to the combined dermal needling & RF instead which supposedly is more likely to provide skin tightening.

I also have dysport/Botox but that’s for my vanity wrinkles - LOL!

You can try taking collagen & silica. But like derma needling, topical or ingested collagen will still take about 3 months for you to see any effects (the natural skin cycle). Topical skin products like hylaurinic acid, Vitamin C, collagen oils & such can help make your skin, brighter, plumper, even out skin tone & texture & generally give you a healthy glow which will somewhat distract from any laxity you may have. I believe the effects of many of these will depend on you - your genetics, how your body processes/absorbs them & how much your skin is in need.

One bonus of the weight loss was the deep lines that encircled my neck (fat creases) are barely visible in some light. Best is I have a jaw line, cheek bones & visible eye lids (hooded lids no more), my neck is longer & thinner & I look like me because my face isn’t distorted by fat.

Before you do anything though, educate yourself. Be informed on the possible benefits & side effects. Don’t get caught up with what a beauty therapist is selling, influencers are promoting or latest fad. I started seeing a cosmetic physician this year for my treatments & I appreciate her honesty & straight talking about treatments & products. She often says don’t waste your money doing that.

Sorry for the long post.

As @SmolGojira says, there are many factors that will influence how much loose skin you have on your face and body. But if one like me aren't too happy with the amount of loose skin they have, there remain non-invasive and minimally invasive things one can do to help improve the appearance of their skin. That doesn't mean, however, that you will be able to get rid of all your loose skin 100% dependent on non-invasive procedures. And if one has little recourse besides doing invasive, make sure you see someone who is reputable and whom you trust! Also remember that these things take time - it's not an instant fix.

I am 40, I've lost more than half my previous body weight (231 lbs to 109), and was carrying a LOT of weight in my chin. I almost looked like I had a goiter it was so bad. My skin tends to go in spells, I am essentially "done" actively losing weight and am in maintenance now, and I found that when I stalled my skin would catch back up, and then I'd lose more and it would look saggy. While I don't think I'm ever going to look as good as if I had never been fat, I'm hoping that now that I'm basically going to stay put, it will get to a point where I am no longer self conscious about it and won't need to have surgery.

My belly, though...that's a different story, unfortunately. I look like a deflated balloon.