Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now looking at sugery in November and was wondering about the 1st 2 weeks of post-op Fluid diet.

Was it easier to sip room-temp liquids, warm, cold, or cool? Did the fluid temp affect how your recovering pouch reacted? Could you sip more of one temp over another? Did the warmed fluids like broth fill you up faster? Did you you include milk in your Protein Shakes or just go with Water?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Old Salt

As I understand it, this is somewhat variable. I have no problem with any temp, but will say I seem to be able to drink warm things faster?

Can't comment on the shakes, I used pre-prepared ones.

I found warm drinks more soothing & easier to drink. Cold drinks made my tummy cramp but that was me. I used room temp Water or hot water for my shakes too but I believe some don’t dissolve as well in hot water.

I came out of hospital into winter at its worst. I was so cold all the time. Warm drinks were my go to. I drank so slowly my drink was going cold in no time at all. I bought a thermos cup and that was the best thing. Every day drinking gets easier. I was allowed coffee from the get-go and my surgeon didn't do Protein Shakes just plain skimmed milk, so my drink of choice was a coffee latte. When I was wanting salty, I had Boullion cubes diluted. Other times I had warm sugar free blackcurrant cordial.

I still drink cold milk and latte's especially on days when I don't get much Protein because there are days when I am not hungry

You will work out what you like after your surgery. For lots of us our tastes change, I had a really nasty taste in my mouth for weeks and favourite drinks were put aside, and new ones found. Good luck

I drank a *lot* of hot bouillon in the weeks after surgery to meet my fluid goals. I seemed to be able to drink that much quicker than anything cold or room temp. That was just me though!

You're right to have a think pre-op about mixing up the temperature of your fluids after surgery - it really can make a difference!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches