Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trapped wind 3 weeks after surgery

Hello everybody,

Just about 3 weeks ago I had a vsg in Turkey (originally from the UK) everything went well for the first couple of weeks, I had a visit to the doctor when I got back and it seemed to be getting all on track.

Then, a few days ago, I am burning with a fever. Naturally, I panic and assume the worst sort of diagnosis, but in actual fact, it turned out to be COVID. Which isn't great, tbh, but I suppose it was better than a leak or some such.

Anyways, yesterday, I am starting to feel better from the covid, when my stomach starts to hurt, particularly at night, stopping me sleeping. The pain is intense and the stomach area feels warm but my temperature is fine. It feels like wind, and I do pass some gas, but the feeling and pain is still there after goodness knows how many peppermint teas and Rennie deflatines (simeticone for you medical types).

I just can't seem to clear this gas at all, is this something I should be concerned about? I really don't have many medical professionals to consult, due to COVID making me isolate, so I was kinda hoping somebody here might have had a similar experience after the initial gas has left post of and some idea of how to deal with it!

Cheers for reading

Perhaps what you're feeling in your abdomen isn't gas, or it's a combination of gas and inflammation due to the covid infection? I've never had covid, but my son had it twice and both times he had GI distress during the infection; diarrhea and abdominal pain. Maybe since you're still in the healing phase of surgery, it might be taking a bit longer for your body to completely rid itself of the effects of the covid infection. If it doesn't get better in a couple days, I'd reach out to a doctor, don't they offer virtual visits in the NHS?

Best wishes!

Could you tell us what you are eating and drinking in a day. Everyone has a different diet set by their surgeon so its easier if you tell us what yours is.

And do you get stomach acid in your throat at night?

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm currently having a Protein Shake and a little bit of (usually tomato) Soup, maybe half a standard tin. I was on 2 Protein Shakes but since COVID that has gone back to 1.

I don't think I get acid at night, I take an antacid everyday as per my surgeons prescription, and haven't woken up with any acid. I do sleep with a CPAP though.

Hope this helps

As you are early out contact a doctor at your surgery, go to the A&E or ring 111. You need to know what is going on. Its tough when you are having surgery in a different country as you are not able to get their direct input . Unfortunately they are not bariatric surgeons but they will check for symptoms

It could be as simple as the Covid or a reaction to the sugars in the shakes. Also Tomato Soup is very acidic and could hurt your new tummy, try strained chicken Soup or diluted bovril stock cubes. My Uk surgeon believes in plain skimmed milk not shakes. Its cheaper too.

Just a thought ... How are your bowel movements ? Sorry TMI, I know but we speak freely on here as we have all been there done that

Please feel free to ask me anything

Thanks, I'm off to docs in an hour, I'll keep you posted. As for bowel movements, they are either bullet hard (codiene induced perhaps!) But yesterday were watery. Not had one today.

Yeah was worried about Tomato Soup, it's the only one I could stomach, but I might change for chicken (I struggle with chicken Soup though) or maybe carrot and corriander perhaps.

Thanks for the reply

5 hours ago, Former heavyweight said:

codiene induced perhaps!

3 weeks postop and you're still on codeine ... I think I was only on pain meds for the first week, if that. You might want to wean down off of that - for many reason, but especially for your peristalsis as pain meds kind of act like a paralytic on your intestines.

22 hours ago, Former heavyweight said:

Thanks, I'm off to docs in an hour, I'll keep you posted. As for bowel movements, they are either bullet hard (codiene induced perhaps!) But yesterday were watery. Not had one today.

Yeah was worried about Tomato Soup, it's the only one I could stomach, but I might change for chicken (I struggle with chicken Soup though) or maybe carrot and corriander perhaps.

Thanks for the reply

How are you today

On 8/31/2022 at 8:02 AM, Former heavyweight said:

Thanks for the reply

Did dr get to the bottom of things?

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in replying.

So, it escalated quickly, doctor sent me to a and e because he was worried about adhesions. CT scan, x ray and a wealth of blood tests later, the surgeon said that everything was clearly swollen but with no obvious cause. It was like my stomach and bowels were on strike. He said it's not actually that uncommon, especially given the fact I have covid . I was offered some sort of gas extraction thingy the next day, and given a lot of relaxants and a saline drip.

Well, after a very uncomfortable night, things got back into action, the swelling went down. Thank god, it was truly uncomfortable. Decided against the gas extraction, just wanted to go home at that point. Been home for a bit now, feel lots better, even managed a Protein Shake and a teeny but of yoghurt.

Anyways, thanks for all your messages, glad I got checked out, as it shows that everything is ok, and this pesky COVID is most probably the culprit.

Better safe than sorry though!

Thank you for all your support and messages

Glad you are feeling better. Keep hydrated and rest up

Glad you're doing better and that it was nothing serious, like the adhesions that you mentioned.

I had a feeling "pesky Covid" was partly to blame! I hope you're back to normal soon.

Best wishes!