Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalls and weight gain

Today I gained weight for the second time since I had the gastric sleeve surgery three weeks ago. I was 700 grams heavier today than I was yesterday, or 1,5 pounds. Last time this happened was a week after the procedure, when I gained 400 grams one day (a little under a pound) and then the day after I weighed the same as I did two days before.

I weigh myself every day, and have done for a long time. I realise that weight fluctuations can happen, but I'm still a little shaken that they can happen when I'm only eating a few hundred calories per day. Yesterday, I ate around 800 calories, which is about the highest I've gone. Usually, I'm around 4-500 and not really hitting my Protein target. I am hitting my Water targets, so I'm not dehydrated.

According to the UCLA Center for human nutrition, most people need at least 1200 calories per day just to survive, and eating less than 1000 is essentially starvation. So how can I gain weight on what is essentially a starvation diet? I'm not working out a lot, but I walk to and from work every day..

It is not "weight gain" it is weight fluctuation. Like you said, people fluctuate.

Yesterday, you may have been retaining less Water. Today you might be retaining more.

It really is best not to weigh yourself everyday, it will drive you mad.

But, if you do. Try to weigh yourself at the same time everyday.

I can and have gained 10 lbs from morning to evening because I was so swelled up and had so much water retention. I can visually see it in my ankles and legs. It doesn't really happen that drastically now that I have lost quite a bit of weight but it still happens.

I’ve been in a stall for the last week - with a calorie deficit. But I know it’s my body reacting to not meeting my goals and being too pooped really do anything because of the lack of calories.

Hang on - we will move again. Just be patient (that is what I keep telling myself).

You are going to drive yourself crazy if you track your weight to the gram daily. Weight gain or loss is not linear. Think about it: if you drink 16 ounces of Water, that is zero calories, but until you excrete it through urine, sweat, etc., you will have gained a pound. Obviously, that is not the same thing as gaining a pound of fat from eating more calories than you’re burning.

A lot of people only weigh themselves once per week (or less often), and you might want to consider that if seeing a temporary weight gain is going to upset you. If you can’t help checking more frequently than that, you could just record it once per week (no matter how many times you step on the scale) so you can see your long-term progress without the day-to-day fluctuations.

1 hour ago, kcuster83 said:

It is not "weight gain" it is weight fluctuation. Like you said, people fluctuate.

Yesterday, you may have been retaining less Water. Today you might be retaining more.

It really is best not to weigh yourself everyday, it will drive you mad.

But, if you do. Try to weigh yourself at the same time everyday.

I can and have gained 10 lbs from morning to evening because I was so swelled up and had so much Water retention. I can visually see it in my ankles and legs. It doesn't really happen that drastically now that I have lost quite a bit of weight but it still happens.

I always weigh myself in the morning, when I wake up.

I guess I'm stressed because when I've tried to lose weight on my own, I always end up stalling and the gaining weight again after a few weeks, even if I'm still on a diet and writing down everything I eat. It's like my body adjusts super fast.

I understand. We have all been through it and that is why we are all here, in some form or another.

Don't panic, if you have a calorie deficit you WILL loose weight. Stalls and fluctuation are common and going to happen. Just follow your plan and keep chugging along and you will see the change.

A fluctuation that small could be anything. It could be Water, full bowels, it could just be that scales are not 100% accurate. I suggest that you weigh yourself less often if it’s going to get to you. I weighed myself daily but I only recorded it once a MONTH. That way I could see the downward trend for certain. That worked for me but it sounds like it’s upsetting you more than it got to me so maybe you should try once a week or so.

42 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

A fluctuation that small could be anything. It could be Water, full bowels, it could just be that scales are not 100% accurate. I suggest that you weigh yourself less often if it’s going to get to you. I weighed myself daily but I only recorded it once a MONTH. That way I could see the downward trend for certain. That worked for me but it sounds like it’s upsetting you more than it got to me so maybe you should try once a week or so.

I record weekly, sometimes I sneak a peak mid-week though. haha Only record Monday morning weights though.

I weigh daily, morning and night and have for 15+ years (though I didn't while I gained all this weight in a years time). If that's what you prefer, eventually you will learn to understand the fluctuations and accept them for what they are.

Experience is the teacher. Just stick with your plan and you'll succeed.

During the healing phase of weight loss surgery, your weight will fluctuate for various reasons. You're healing from major surgery, just follow your program recommendations and have realistic expectations. You're three weeks post op, and that's when the majority of wls patients experience their first stall, which can also include some weight fluctuations like you described. My weight increased and decreased and bounced around a bit during the healing phase, I stayed focused on hitting my Fluid and Protein goals, and today I'm 6 weeks post op revision to RNY and the weight is falling off now, because I'm past the healing phase and back to exercisisng. I started losing fat and gaining muscle pretty soon after surgery, according to my smart scale. Muscle weighs more than fat, so even tho I was losing fat, I was gaining muscle, so the scale didn't move, but I was losing inches, my clothes were getting bigger.

Just keep doing what your team told you to do and you will be fine.

10 hours ago, Sunnyer said:

I guess I'm stressed because when I've tried to lose weight on my own, I always end up stalling and the gaining weight again after a few weeks, even if I'm still on a diet and writing down everything I eat. It's like my body adjusts super fast.

You’ll discover your body reacts very differently after surgery. Besides changes to your metabolic rate, body set point (the weight your body is happy at), there are hormonal changes (hunger, satiation, etc.), reduction of the volume of food you can eat, etc. the most important change, & the one you have to do the work for, is the change in how you look at eating: what you ate & why you ate.

Like most of us before surgery, we could diet, lose weight & then watch the weight come back again. I know it was because once I stopped the diet, I went back to eating in the same way I had before I lost weight. The diets I were on also didn’t change my set point like the surgery did so I would eventually revert to that higher weight again. And the more restrictive the duet, the slower & harder it was to lose. The surgery allowed me the time to change a lot about how & what I eat & understand why I ate. Three years out, I don’t consider I’m on a diet. This is just how & what I eat. And I feel way better for it.

Fluctuations are part of life, even more so if you’re female (hormones are a b*tch). You never eat or drink the exact same thing every day. You don’t poop or pee the same amount every day. I know my fluctuation is usually about a a kg. And if I have a pee night ( peed every 30 mins for 3 hrs last night) I can weigh 500g less the next morning. You have to either accept the fluctuations or keep off the scales every day. Weight loss is NEVER a straight downward line. It goes up & down, zigs & zags. As long as the general trend is downwards, you’re fine.

Today I gained weight for the second time since I had the gastric sleeve surgery three weeks ago. I was 700 grams heavier today than I was yesterday, or 1,5 pounds. Last time this happened was a week after the procedure, when I gained 400 grams one day (a little under a pound) and then the day after I weighed the same as I did two days before.
I weigh myself every day, and have done for a long time. I realise that weight fluctuations can happen, but I'm still a little shaken that they can happen when I'm only eating a few hundred calories per day. Yesterday, I ate around 800 calories, which is about the highest I've gone. Usually, I'm around 4-500 and not really hitting my Protein target. I am hitting my Water targets, so I'm not dehydrated.
According to the UCLA Center for human nutrition, most people need at least 1200 calories per day just to survive, and eating less than 1000 is essentially starvation. So how can I gain weight on what is essentially a starvation diet? I'm not working out a lot, but I walk to and from work every day..

I am 7 weeks post op and am going through a stall. I had no idea they existed until I read about them on this forum. It's extremely frustrating knowing you are doing everything right but the scales aren't moving. I've lost 14kgs since surgery so I'm happy with that 24kgs all up but I really do get your frustration. Going to see my dietician next week and see what she says. I also weigh myself every few days don't think I'm doing myself any favours though

Sent from my SM-S906E using BariatricPal mobile app

Muscle weighs more than fat; you could be gaining muscle with the walking. Also, if you menstruate, your weight fluctuations can follow your cycle with retaining Water, etc. I literally once gained two pounds from eating PICKLES because they made me retain water like you wouldn't believe.