Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cardiac testing today

my nerves are getting to me today! (8/17/2022)

I have my cardiac clearance testing at my surgeons office today. Going to do an ultrasound on my heart and legs as well as a stress test on a bicycle.

Very nervous about it. I had a couple of long bouts of atrial fibrillation before I got my bipap and know that I have seen occasional PVCs on my apple watch. My Dad has a complex cardiac history, so between that and my weight I think the worry is justified.

will try to update for good or bad when I am done !

Edited by KimA-GA

If it wasn’t for my cardiac clearance I’d have never known about genetic heart defects I have. I was still approved for WLS.
The clearance is more of a way to manage things so there aren’t any surprises during surgery and to make it as safe as possible. I don’t think that a history of afib or the occasional PVC will keep you from having surgery, but I’m not your surgeon and it’s just my personal experience.

Good luck!

Not bad. My EKG came back abnormal and i had to get a nuclear stress test done. Basically your same stress test but with me they injected me with this radioactive stuff and put me under a gamma camera, Then i got injected again with the radioactive stuff and then went on the treadmill then to the camera again lol. It was long and annoying

update: the day after cardiac testing.

It went well as far as I can tell.

the first thing they did was do an ultrasound on both of my legs from the top of my thigh/groin area down to my ankles. the u/s tech scanned and put pressure down my legs. then she moved me on my side and placed a couple of electrodes on my chest and did an ultrasound of my heart. i could see some profusion scans but didn’t have a good angle of the screen most of the time.

then i got dressed and went into a second room. the first thing i did there was a series of pulmonary profusion tests. i blew into a plastic tube in various ways with my nose blocked. after that i lifted my shirt (still fully dressed) and they put more electrodes on. then i very ungracefully got onto the exercise bike. i pedaled and pedaled for 10 minutes or so with my blood pressure being taken every minute or so. they needed my heart to get to 85% of max.

after the bike i sat back in the chair and did another pulmonary profusion test. then i went home! legs felt very tired from the exertion- but i was glad i was able to do it.

Glad to hear everything went well. I can relate to this. My EKG's always come up abnormal, they always indicate I have had a recent heart attack (doctors have explained it has something to do with how my heart is positioned). So when I first begun this journey back in February the first thing they wanted was a stress test. Mine went well as well. Getting closer and closer to surgery date.

So glad everything went well.

5 hours ago, KimA-GA said:

update: the day after cardiac testing.

It went well as far as I can tell.

the first thing they did was do an ultrasound on both of my legs from the top of my thigh/groin area down to my ankles. the u/s tech scanned and put pressure down my legs. then she moved me on my side and placed a couple of electrodes on my chest and did an ultrasound of my heart. i could see some profusion scans but didn’t have a good angle of the screen most of the time.

then i got dressed and went into a second room. the first thing i did there was a series of pulmonary profusion tests. i blew into a plastic tube in various ways with my nose blocked. after that i lifted my shirt (still fully dressed) and they put more electrodes on. then i very ungracefully got onto the exercise bike. i pedaled and pedaled for 10 minutes or so with my blood pressure being taken every minute or so. they needed my heart to get to 85% of max.

after the bike i sat back in the chair and did another pulmonary profusion test. then i went home! legs felt very tired from the exertion- but i was glad i was able to do it.

I had that ultrasound on my legs done about a month after surgery due to pain and swelling in one leg. They thought possible deep vein thrombosis which is a complication after any major surgery. (which is why we get blood thinner injections in the hospital and some get it for weeks after surgery) and that scan was so uncomfortable lol. They put a lot of pressure on that probe lol. But everything came back good. Tho i did not have that scan pre surgery

6 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

I had that ultrasound on my legs done about a month after surgery due to pain and swelling in one leg. They thought possible deep vein thrombosis which is a complication after any major surgery. (which is why we get blood thinner injections in the hospital and some get it for weeks after surgery) and that scan was so uncomfortable lol. They put a lot of pressure on that probe lol. But everything came back good. Tho i did not have that scan pre surgery

it was pressure in uncomfortable places!!! guess it was for a baseline *shrug*. i was there to do as i was told hehe

was your leg issue something simple or a dvt?

2 minutes ago, KimA-GA said:

it was pressure in uncomfortable places!!! guess it was for a baseline *shrug*. i was there to do as i was told hehe

was your leg issue something simple or a dvt?

Oh gosh yes so uncomfortable especially up in the groin area lol. But no DVT. Was just simply the body going thru changes after surgery they said.