Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Months Post Op Food

Im 2 months post op and have had no issues with any foods ive tried but I am getting really bored with what im having as it seems to be the same rotation..... I need some good ideas.

Ive been living on:

Oikos triple Zero

Wendys Chili

Protein Shakes

Rolled lunch meat (Diet Lunch meat haha)

Ricotta Bake

Soups

Refried Beans and cheese

Tuna/Chicken

sugar free pudding

I know this has been posted a million times but I find it easier to post.. Sorry...

At your stage post-op I really enjoyed turkey salad. I got the seasoned turkey breast from Aldi's and just chopped it up in a food processor, added some mayo and it was soooo delicious.

Also I was able to handle Breakfast every day by making two scrambled eggs with shredded cheddar cheese on top.

What does your plan recommend? You should be starting to try lots of different foods now. Just chose the more tender cuts & keep things moist with some sort of sauce or gravy & eat slowly & carefully. Your tummy (or tastebuds) will quickly tell you if it’s not for you yet. And if something doesn’t sit well, don’t give up on it. Just leave it for a week or so & try again.

From two months I was adding beef, lamb, pork, chicken, fish, … to my menu plan roster for dinner. Mince, lamb cutlets or blackstrap, chicken thighs, steak, pork tenderloin, etc. I was also eating some vegetables: steamed green Beans, cabbage & cauliflower florets. (Very little like 2 or 3 beans & a floret😁.) I was also cooking with tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, celery, onion, spinach leaves, capsicum like in Soups, bolognese sauce, omelettes, savoury mince, braises, etc. I ate scrambled eggs or rolled oats for breakfast & fish (not tinned), 1/2 a sausage (butcher’s not supermarket mass produced) or dinner leftovers for lunch. I never had another shake from week 3 purées.

Just watch drying meat out to much while cooking so maybe no char grills or bbq for a little while.

On days where I’m tired of the food my stomach can tolerate, I just bake some squash and okra with some spices and have 1/4 cup as a meal. I’ve tried a lot of Protein sources at 12 weeks out that aren’t working well so in order to not die of boredom, I’ve had squash for dinner probably 2 nights in the last month 🤷🏼‍♀️ dietician approved and all 🥳

never tried okra or squash before....

Just looking for some new ideas as the plan I have been given seemed very basic... Thanks for the ideas!

If you like tacos another idea is to make some taco meat, I use ground turkey and Ortega seasoning and/or warm up some refried Beans.

I do taco meat and/or beans in a serving that I know I can eat, (1/4 c right now, I'm also 8 weeks post op)...then I put some shredded Mexican blend cheese on top and some mild taco sauce (don't want to shock the new tummy with spicy stuff yet).

I dump the refried beans into a storage container and pop it in the fridge so I can keep using it until its gone, same as with the taco meat. Then for the next few days I have taco meat or refried beans, or BOTH to add some cheese to, warm up in the microwave and then top with taco sauce!

My foods are super repetitive, too...but that's okay, cause I like them :) Looking forward to next week when I am on "easy to chew" foods! Going to wrap lunch meat in a lettuce leaf instead of eating it straight! Like a sandwich!

16 minutes ago, MissMerryberry said:

If you like tacos another idea is to make some taco meat, I use ground turkey and Ortega seasoning and/or warm up some refried Beans.

I do taco meat and/or Beans in a serving that I know I can eat, (1/4 c right now, I'm also 8 weeks post op)...then I put some shredded Mexican blend cheese on top and some mild taco sauce (don't want to shock the new tummy with spicy stuff yet).

I dump the refried beans into a storage container and pop it in the fridge so I can keep using it until its gone, same as with the taco meat. Then for the next few days I have taco meat or refried beans, or BOTH to add some cheese to, warm up in the microwave and then top with taco sauce!

My foods are super repetitive, too...but that's okay, cause I like them :) Looking forward to next week when I am on "easy to chew" foods! Going to wrap lunch meat in a lettuce leaf instead of eating it straight! Like a sandwich!

I did walking tacos the other night with the tortilla-style Quest chips... 19g of Protein for the whole bag (individual serving ), and I was able to eat about 4 but any added protein is always nice.

3 minutes ago, SHORTY_ said:

I did walking tacos the other night with the tortilla-style Quest chips... 19g of Protein for the whole bag (individual serving ), and I was able to eat about 4 but any added Protein is always nice.

Oh that sounds super yummy! I haven't bought any foods that are made with protein instead of carbs to replace the carby ones. A lot of people have talked about Quest chips though, maybe I should get some!

4 minutes ago, MissMerryberry said:

Oh that sounds super yummy! I haven't bought any foods that are made with Protein instead of carbs to replace the carby ones. A lot of people have talked about Quest chips though, maybe I should get some!

It was a decent alternative, I didn't particularly care for how easy they break but it was a nice alternative. The cool ranch ones are pretty good too.

In addition to the original post, I can't help with an overabundance of meals but I do eat a slice of Keto bread with PB2 every morning. 7g of protein, 1.5 fat 0 sugars. Quick and easy I'm pretty basic with most of my meals. When I have a sweet tooth I usually cut an apple and coat it with cinnamon and pop it in the oven at 400 for 15-20 min.

What stage are you in? It’s been a while but it seems to me like I was in soft food stage which was almost everything (to try gradually). Of course it excluded crunchy things. Also off the table were Pasta and bread for me. I started with fish, lobster and crab with over steamed veggies and slowly added chicken and then moist lean hamburger (usually taco meat) and eventually a very tender cut of steak (some plans say to steer clear of hamburger and steak longer but My plan didn't specify and I hadn’t had any issues tolerating anything. I was fine with those as well). The main thing is just add things gradually and keep them moist with sauces if necessary and chew very well.

I bought some great bariatric cook books that have meal plans for each phase. They at least help get the creative juices flowing when I’m feeling bored with what I’m eating or drinking:) Two of my favorites are Bariatric Meal Prep made easy by Kristin Willard and the Complete Bariatric Cookbook and meal plan by Megan Moore. Also I have found following Bariatric dieticians on social media as well as people in the WLS community often have great ideas!
These are just what seems to work for me:) best of luck!