Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you guys nervous about going to Mexico for your procedures? How does that work with follow up care? Will doctors here in the US take you on if there's complications? Or do you have to go to Mexico again?

After mexico you see your normal doctors here in the USA. your primary care doctor should know that you are getting the sleeve and that you are going to mexico for it. I went to my primary first to get their opinion on it. I thought about going to Mexico but i went against it simply because i wanted the surgery near my home.

I had my sleeve surgery in Mexico, with doctor Almánzar in Baja California Hospital (March 10, 2022). Best decision ever, the nurses are amazing, my surgery went perfect. When I came back to the States I went to the emergency room just to check and the doctors here were amazed, how good and perfect everything was. So don’t be scared my surgery only took 40 minutes, 3 hours after the surgery I was walking and talking like nothing happened. Also, I never had any pain or nauseous. My experience was amazing, will do it 10000000 times in Mexico.

Those are good questions. I always wondered about that too.

12 hours ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

Are you guys nervous about going to Mexico for your procedures? How does that work with follow up care? Will doctors here in the US take you on if there's complications? Or do you have to go to Mexico again?

there are some excellent surgeons in Mexico, but you need to do your research. Look for reviews and recommendations. Also, make sure your PCP here in the US is on board and is willing to do any required follow-up.

I had surgery in Mx. with Dr. Illan at HopsitalBC and was VERY happy with the experience. I met with my PCP prior to surgery and she was 100% supportive. She did pre-op labs to make sure there were no concerns, and has done all of my post-op labs. She also prescribed a course of Ursodiol, as I have a history of biliary colic and wanted to try and avoid any issues post-op. My surgeon does also have ongoing support with their nutritionist (via phone, email, FB group, etc.).

I am in a support group with a woman who had her surgery in Mexico and she had severe nausea after surgery but was too out of it to advocate for herself. Luckily the sister of the woman who she shared a room with was there and was a nurse and told the doctors that she needed help, and that the medications she had weren't working. But she did not have a great experience. She went to one of the most popular and highly rated places there.

You could have a good or bad experience at any hospital, but my advice is to try (If you can afford it/insurance will cover it) is to get it near home where someone can come with you to be your advocate. This is not just for WLS but for any medical procedure where you will be unconscious.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches