Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best Calcium chews after bypass surgery

Hi everyone I’m curious to know what everyone is using for Calcium supplements after having gastric bypass surgery. I am three months postop doing very well but had been using Caltrate chews until they recently discontinued them after further research I found that the calcium carbonate was not a good choice and that the calcium citrate is recommended so I ordered some chewables on the BariatricPal website my dietitian said I will never be able to take calcium in the capsule form again after a bypass and I’m curious if others were told the same thing. I understand we cannot take any kind of calcium gummy’s either. These calcium chews are the way too expensive to keep purchasing long term so I hope in the future to be able to find something much cheaper and would love to hear others feedback on the subject thanks in advance!!

The Caltrate chewable tablets have been discontinued? What about the soft chewable ones? I just bought the soft ones because Walmart was out of the tablets.
I know we shouldn’t use gummy’s. Regular Calcium pills are way to big to take anyway😹

I can't tell you the best Calcium chew, but I can tell you I'm never putting a Bariatric Advantage calcium chew in my life ever again. I got a few as a sample from the bariatric coordinator at my clinic and tried one this morning (only five weeks out, so surgeon just prescribed it). It was absolutely vial. Everyone says they are like candy--and they look like starburst, but the one I had was so gross I had to spit it out. There is no way I was going to be able to chew it long enough to swallow. I can't even describe it. The taste was ok-ish, but the consistency was like eating dried rubber cement with a coating of latex.

I"ve never been told I couldn't take capsules - just gummies (I was told not to take Gummy forms of anything - not just calcium)

and yes - Caltrate is Calcium carbonate, which we don't absorb well. We're supposed to take calcium citrate. Although one of the other posters doesn't like Bariatric Advantage chews, most people do. You have to order them online. Bariatric Pal carries them, as do a few other Web sites.

I've also taken "petite" calcium tablets, which are smaller than the standard ones. I also used to use a powered calcium citrate that you mix into food or beverages - Upcal D. You have to order it online.

I take ProCare calcium chews and LOVE them! They are like a tiny dessert. 😂 They have Vitamin D and Probiotics in them. They have a free sample pack you can order to try them out before you buy. I also use their bariatric Multivitamin and like it MUCH better than the Bariatric Advantage.

The BariatricPal Store carries a huge selection of Bariatric friendly Calcium at https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/calcium.

Check out the newly released BariatricPal sugar-free calcium citrate Soft Chews 500mg with Probiotics at https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/calcium/brand_bariatricpal+vitamin-form_soft-chews . They come in 6 AMAZING flavors: French vanilla Caramel, chocolate Mint, Belgian Chocolate Caramel, Orange Creamsicle, strawberry Watermelon Twist, and Wild Grape.

I LOVE the BariatricPal Belgian chocolate Caramel and French Vanilla Caramel calcium chews. They really taste like candy; I look forward to taking them and I consider them a treat. I've also tried the strawberry watermelon flavor, and they're ok but not as delicious as the chocolate and caramel ones.

I take Calcium 3 times per day: once as calcium citrate tablets (Citrical Petites) and two of the BariatricPal chews.

43 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I LOVE the BariatricPal Belgian chocolate Caramel and French vanilla Caramel calcium chews. They really taste like candy; I look forward to taking them and I consider them a treat. I've also tried the strawberry watermelon flavor, and they're ok but not as delicious as the chocolate and caramel ones.

I take Calcium 3 times per day: once as calcium citrate tablets (Citrical Petites) and two of the BariatricPal chews.

I forgot to mention: the BariatricPal Store frequently has sales like 25% off all Vitamins, 30% off BariatricPal brand products, etc. I watch for those sales and stock up on the calcium chews when they're on sale.