Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weightloss surgery

I have been referred by my Doctor for weightloss surgery what can u expect now how long does the process take time sale as to when I will be offered the surgery ?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

It most likely depends on your insurance to a large degree. Many insurance companies require either a 3 or 6 month supervised weight loss (they usually accept doctors notes from other doctors for all or part of this). It will also depend on what tests and mandatory requirements your surgeon wants. If you are over 40 BMI you most likely do not need to prove a comorbidity but 35-40 you will most likely be sent for tests for fatty liver and sleep apnea And possibly some others as they apply to your symptoms to prove you need surgery.

The doctor may also require some tests to make sure you are fit for surgery like on your heart. Finally, Most doctors also require a visit with a nutritionist to go over the pre and post op diet and a psyc evaluation to make sure you are ready for surgery. All of this can sound overwhelming but in most cases you have three to six months to get it all done and not all doctors require everything.

I just had to see nutritionist and psychiatrist and do typical pre op labs but I had already been diagnosed with joint issues so I didn’t need to prove a comorbidity and I had a lower BMI, plus he had access to all my other annual exams and other doctors notes so he didn’t require the pre surgery tests on my heart and all that that some are required to do.

My supervised weight loss was six VISITS not six months and I had one already with primary doctor so I had to do five visits with the surgery center which took me 4 months and my surgery was two weeks later (right after a two weeks pre op diet). Best decision I ever made. Well worth all the steps!!

It very much depends on your insurance requirements as ShoppGirl mentioned. My insurance required 6 months of monitored weight loss, 3 months of nutrition, lung clearance, heart clearance, nutrition classes, surgical classes, psyche clearance, etc. The whole process took approximately 8 months from my first appointment until the day I had my surgery. I was also able to lose 68 pounds in that time so I was at least productive during that time lol.

I'm in the UK so I don't know the process if the insurance is the same my bmi is 46 I have struggled with my weight since having my children and I've exhausted every possible way I could can do and have never seen any significant change in my weight I'm at higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes due to having gestational diabetes with both my children for the last 3 years I've been on lots of different diet plans being more active attending gym at least 3 times a week and seeing no results physically or even feeling good normal day to day tasks are a real struggle I feel as though my body has just given up and have been struggling to stay positive thinking if I just keep going I will see a change but in 3 years I've seen no change just feeling more and more useless

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Since you're in the UK, your process might be significantly different. I believe there is a thread on the UK NHS process. You can try searching for that. However, if you are going to do self-pay, you can probably do it pretty quickly. I know many people from the UK go to central and eastern Europe, but I don't know too much about that. There is a thread on "hospitals and surgeons" but I don't know how many people are from Europe. Sorry, as usual, us Americans tend to dominate things!

Good luck!