Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long will I be off of work?

Everything I read says approximately 2 to 5 weeks. I don’t do any heavy lifting at work but I’m definitely up and down all day. I’m just wondering what I should tell my boss. Is three weeks reasonable?

Every one recovers differently. A friend was back to her predominately desk job after a week. Another friend took three weeks. I needed 4 weeks but I do tend to recover from everything more slowly. Are you able to ask for two or three weeks but extend if needed or return to work in a part time capacity to begin?

I guess I will do just that. I will ask for three and let them know that there is a possibility that it may be longer.Thank you!

I took a 7 days off not including the two weekends in between. I have a desk job. But I take public transportation and I do some walking at work but I walk in the building for exercise. I leave the lifting for the men at work. I had no issues with my surgery. Everyone is different.

All depends on how strenuous your work is. My job is pretty labor intensive so I took a full 6 weeks but I know some that was back at work within 2. Just be honest with the surgeon when you go to post op appts. on how you're feeling...

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 2 weeks post op from my bypass today - I took a shower yesterday, it took it out of me, I unloaded the dish washer today, it still took it out of me. I still feel weak and tired most of the time. I can't imagine being back at work full time at this point. But like they say everyone is different. Best of luck to you.

I'm 2 weeks post op from my bypass today - I took a shower yesterday, it took it out of me, I unloaded the dish washer today, it still took it out of me. I still feel weak and tired most of the time. I can't imagine being back at work full time at this point. But like they say everyone is different. Best of luck to you.

How are you still feeling? I cant believe simple tasks take alot out of you. I also am wondering about time off. Im guessing 4 weeks? Im having RNY on Sep 20, pls update.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm somewhat better and a little bit better every day. I'm still using pain meds at night for sleeping. I had my first post op check up today - I drove myself. They said everything looked good. The post op pain (pulling/burning) was/is normal for bypass - 1 to 2 more weeks of pain is also normal (according to the doctor). I still have no regrets. I am glad the days I've accomplished are behind me.

I had my surgery a week ago, on July 17th. I was back at work 3 days later. I do have a desk job, so there is that, but it really didn't hurt that much at all. A few days of soreness around the midsection and I had to take it easy walking at first, but really, within a few days work was possible and a week later (now) I feel pretty much back to normal.

I had my surgery a week ago, on July 17th. I was back at work 3 days later. I do have a desk job, so there is that, but it really didn't hurt that much at all. A few days of soreness around the midsection and I had to take it easy walking at first, but really, within a few days work was possible and a week later (now) I feel pretty much back to normal.

wow!!! you had the sleeve, gastric, or band? How are you doing in keeping your fluids down?

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the Gastric sleeve in 2016 and let's just say mistakes were made*, I gained all the weight back. I decided to do a revision surgery to the gastric bypass, so this was a revision surgery and my second one. Fluids are no problem. I drink 2 Protein Shakes a day, plus Water, though i dont think i'm getting 64oz in - but im close. thanks for asking!

*absolutely stay away from carbonated drinks and stop before you get full! The new stomach stretches back out so easily. Nobody told me this prior to surgery.

I went back to work 10 days after surgery BUT I work from home and have a desk job. Physically I was fine it was the mental fog that got me.

My surgery is on Aug 16, and my doctor authorized me to be off for 6 weeks. I never imagined being off that long, but honestly, I’m gonna take the full 6 weeks. I’m a first responder, and I do field work in 100 degree weather. Besides that, I know this will be a huge adjustment mentally.

I am at three weeks post-op. This morning I worked my extremely sedentary desk job from home for three hours. I’m tired and planning a nap this afternoon. Saturday I took a walk (1.3 miles) and ended up puking in my driveway because it was too much too soon (note: I’m a triathlete who commonly runs 10+ miles at a time in season).
Every person is different and every day is different. If you have flexibility in your job, ask for it. If you don’t, I’d ask for the max off, just so they know “worst case scenario”.

good luck with your surgery!

I’ll also add that until yesterday (3weeks out) it hurt to sit in a chair that wasn’t reclined. My large incision was sore and it was distracting. Nothing that would prevent you from working if you were determined, but it was painful and irritating.