Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone started this process at 200 pounds?

I got my surgery in December 2020, and even though I lost a lot of weight at the beginning, now it’s very, very slow. I am 151 now, but I’m scared I’ll stay there. I want to get to my goal of 135.

I did (203, to be precise). Surgery was 3/15. Down to 191 and normally would be thrilled but I see others dropping far more weight during same number of days😬. That being said, my BMI was just shy of 30, I didn’t have to do a pre-op diet, aside from one day ahead of surgery. How quickly did you lose in the early weeks after surgery, GiCoDr? It seems like you are doing phenomenally and just slowing down due to your decreasing BMI...?

I was 200lbs. I reached my goal of 132lbs at 6 months & that was losing at a pretty average rate. Your loss seems pretty close to mine at this point too. I was about 13lbs off goal at 4 months. So you seem to be on track.

Your weight loss does slow as you get closer to your goal so what your experiencing is to be expected. The loss slows because your caloric intake has been slowly increasing (as it should be) & is becoming closer to what your body requires to function at your weight & activity level. That’s what maintenance is about: finding the balance between how much you eat and what your body needs while you’re still enjoying your life. You don’t want to be so restrictive in how much & what you eat that you don’t enjoy your life just to be a certain number on your scale. Your new habits & routines must be sustainable.

Are you only concerned you won’t reach goal because you’re losing more slowly? Remember there is no set time frame in which you have to lose. You’ll lose at your pace & in your time frame. It’s not a race.

You’ll get there. Good luck & congratulations on your weight loss so far.

regardless of where you started, the last 20 or so lbs are a bear to get off. It's that way for "normal" people, too. The closer you are to a normal BMI, the harder it is to lose weight. I remember years ago at Weight Watchers meetings listening to these normal weight or slightly overweight women b**ch and scream about how hard it was to lose 10 lbs. Yeah right. I'd just sit there and roll my eyes. Try losing 100+ lbs! But now I totally get it. It IS hard! But just keep at it. I was losing like 1-2 lbs a MONTH when I got to that point - but I finally did make it...

I had surgery February 18th 2021. My surgery weight was 207. I am right now at 195. My goal is 135. My reason for surgery was gastroparesis and gastritis and insurance did cover it. I start pureed Tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.

My surgery weight was 220. Idk what my goal weight is. I’m sorta scared to set one. I have lost 8 pounds in 19 days since surgery it was about a pound every two days but now I seem to have stalled.

5 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

My surgery weight was 220. Idk what my goal weight is. I’m sorta scared to set one. I have lost 8 pounds in 19 days since surgery it was about a pound every two days but now I seem to have stalled.

it's the infamous "three week stall". Almost everyone goes through that...if you search it on this site, you'll find something like 17,000 posts on it. And no - I am NOT kidding... Just stick to your program and it will break. It usually lasts 1-3 weeks.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:21 PM, GiCoDr said:

I got my surgery in December 2020, and even though I lost a lot of weight at the beginning, now it’s very, very slow. I am 151 now, but I’m scared I’ll stay there. I want to get to my goal of 135.

GiCoDr, I think you've made great progress!! I had my sleeve surgery on January 5th of this year, and my surgery weight was 214. I am currently down to 196, and I am losing painfully slowly. I wonder if there is something fundamental I'm missing. I followed my surgeon's protocol from day one. I began walking in the hospital post surgery and continued walking several times a week. Three weeks ago, I went back to weight lifting with a trainer three times a week and cardio on the off days, and haven' lost since then. I track daily in My Fitness Pal and average 600 to 750 calories. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'd love to know what you're doing to get such great results so far! And advice would be so appreciated!

Edited by Whitetank&denim