Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea and light headedness 4 months post op

I am searching for advice. About 1 month ago I started feeling light headed every time I stand. After about 2 to 3 weeks I started to feel nausea as well. My team says it is part of my body adjustments but I am nervous. Currently I have lost more tha half my volume of hair, everytime I stand I feel like I will pass out and my skin tears so easily that it is scary. I am wondering if anyone has any input to share. Thank you

Hi, 5 months and I have had my gallbladder removed and have been in pain for so long. I have also lost half my weight and hair! It was not explained to me and the Protein is terrible to get in. I am so sorry to hear about all your issues to. How long ago did you have it done? I hope you are ok

I had my operation 4 months ago. I am losing weight slowly. I hope this clears up soon.

It’s probably time to visit your primary care physician and discuss your new reality. Are you on blood pressure meds? Other meds? Those might need adjusting. I went through the lightheadedness and my PCP reduced my blood pressure meds, with the goal of stopping them in another month or so.

I think you get a different perspective and information from your PCP. The first time I saw her my hair had started falling out and she gave me a prescription for a Shampoo. Didn’t know that was available (all I had gotten from the Bariatric center has the advice to take biotin). I’m not sure if the shampoo helped, or if it was the Biotin, or just time, or all three but my hair is now growing back like mad.

As an added benefit, I love seeing my PCP because she raves about how much healthier I am becoming.

that's often due to low blood pressure (although you might want to check it out with your PCP or surgeon, as there are other things that can cause that - like low glucose level, inner ear issues, etc - but it's usually a blood pressure issue). The medical term is orthostatic hypotension, and it's pretty common in the early weeks after bariatric surgery. If that's what it is, just get up more slowly. It'll usually resolve on its own, but as an above poster said, if you're on blood pressure meds, check with your doctor as they may need to lower your dosage (or even take you off them).

Thank you both. I am not on any other medicine except for Vitamins and stomach lining protector. I will also check with my physician for advice. It does not matter how slow I stand up I have this feeling.

1 hour ago, Lillimint said:

It’s probably time to visit your primary care physician and discuss your new reality. Are you on blood pressure meds? Other meds? Those might need adjusting. I went through the lightheadedness and my PCP reduced my blood pressure meds, with the goal of stopping them in another month or so.

I think you get a different perspective and information from your PCP. The first time I saw her my hair had started falling out and she gave me a prescription for a Shampoo. Didn’t know that was available (all I had gotten from the Bariatric center has the advice to take biotin). I’m not sure if the Shampoo helped, or if it was the Biotin, or just time, or all three but my hair is now growing back like mad.

As an added benefit, I love seeing my PCP because she raves about how much healthier I am becoming.

Hi there:) Could you tell me the name of the Rx shampoo that your PCP prescribed to you?? I already have fairly thin hair and would love to bring this up to my PCP so that I may be able to help prevent too much loss. I am actually going for an appt this coming Monday to see him. Thanks!!

@Moon2408 It’s called Ketoconazole 2% Shampoo. Directions: apply externally 2times a week. I honestly don’t know if it was the thing that led to hair re-growth or not, but I figured why not give it a try? My insurance paid for it, which I was a bit surprised about.

I am 6 months out. My Hair loss is devastating! My nutritionist told me that nothing over the counter will work. She suggested I start taking Flaxseed Oil pills every day. I started taking them in the end of my 4th month. My hair has not started growing back yet, but it has def slowed down the amount I was losing. I noticed a big difference this month. Not sure if the Flaxseed Oil is responsible, but I am relived a little bit.

6 hours ago, Lillimint said:

@Moon2408 It’s called Ketoconazole 2% Shampoo. Directions: apply externally 2times a week. I honestly don’t know if it was the thing that led to hair re-growth or not, but I figured why not give it a try? My insurance paid for it, which I was a bit surprised about.

Thanks so much for the info!!! I'm freaking out that I may loose a lot of hair. I have thinner hair to begin with so I'm gonna do whatever I can to hopefully prevent it, or at least keep it to a minimum...

NeeWorldMe, I also have intermittent lightheaded ness. I have found that when this happens to me, I am behind on my fluids. I now keep Water with me all the time. Regarding losing the hair, it is “normal” to lose hair at about 4 months. I believe I read on the mayo Clinic’s bariatric website that while “normal” getting all your Protein in each day will help with the Hair loss. Also the does of Biotin may help. I take 10,000 2 x daily. Just some suggestions. 😊😊