Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lowest Weight?

At what point in your VSG journey did you reach your lowest weight and at what point or what weight did you start to maintaining? My biggest fear is gaining weight I am 11 months postop on the 23rd of this month and I went from 243 to 127 current weight I’ve been slipping up usually on Fridays and on weekends... eating things like breads and going over calories .....I’m not gonna lie sometimes I don’t have the best things to eat but most of the time during the week I do follow my diet does anybody else feel like this? Like even the slightest slip up will bring you back to your old weight? I want to maintain a 120 weight but is this even possible? Ahh help.

I stopped losing after 4 months and maintained it until COVID and gained 10-12 lbs but have now lost 1/2 of that back. I eat meals perfectly with the right portions and right foods. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE am ADDICTED to chocolate and find myself grabbing it still when stressed, anxious, or bored. The struggle is real.

I hit my 60kg goal weigh about 6 months after surgery. Since then I have continued to lose even though I’ve increased my caloric intake. I eat larger portion sizes (though still small) & have added Snacks. I still avoid breads, Pasta, rice & potato. No cakes biscuits, Desserts, jams, etc. I just don’t have these foods in my house. I try to eat very much to routine because I still have days I don’t feel hungry and my diet is pretty routine too.

I’m 19 months out and am sitting at about 48.5kg this week (about 107lbs) & 48.3 last week. My weight fluctuations are small less than 1kg but the general trend is still down. My surgeon’s team & GP want me to put in weight but I honestly can’t eat more than I do - it’s physically impossible & there’s no more hours in a day. I don’t want to add starchy carbs, sweets, etc. to my diet because I believe they contributed to my weight gain in the past. Mind you I tried some vegan soy pasta last week & it sat like a lump in my tummy which is what mashed potato did when I tried a spoon of that a couple of months ago as a test. So that helps me not to eat it.

I believe my continued weight loss is because I’m still in the honeymoon period & my metabolism is going 100 miles an hour. I don’t know what the future will bring & how I will manage my metabolism slowing & appetite returning full time. I’m just going to take it day by day & try to continue to make healthy food choices. I tell myself I’m the one in control of my diet. No one is making me over eat or making me make unhealthy food choices.

I do have the odd treat. Last night I had friends over for Christmas drinks. I had 2 half glasses of champagne & about 4 crackers with blue cheese & 2 slices of bresola over about 5 hours. (I also had 1/2 slice of the roast shawarma lamb I made.) The last time I did anything like this was about a month ago & 2 months before that. And I will have a sliver of Christmas cake on Xmas day.

You may be able to get down to a lower weight but can you maintain it? You still have to be able to live & enjoy your life while maintaining a weight you are happy with. Finding that balance I think is the key.

Good luck.

On 12/12/2020 at 20:28, Arabesque said:

I hit my 60kg goal weigh about 6 months after surgery. Since then I have continued to lose even though I’ve increased my caloric intake. I eat larger portion sizes (though still small) & have added Snacks. I still avoid breads, Pasta, rice & potato. No cakes biscuits, Desserts, jams, etc. I just don’t have these foods in my house. I try to eat very much to routine because I still have days I don’t feel hungry and my diet is pretty routine too.

I’m 19 months out and am sitting at about 48.5kg this week (about 107lbs) & 48.3 last week. My weight fluctuations are small less than 1kg but the general trend is still down. My surgeon’s team & GP want me to put in weight but I honestly can’t eat more than I do - it’s physically impossible & there’s no more hours in a day. I don’t want to add starchy carbs, sweets, etc. to my diet because I believe they contributed to my weight gain in the past. Mind you I tried some vegan soy Pasta last week & it sat like a lump in my tummy which is what mashed potato did when I tried a spoon of that a couple of months ago as a test. So that helps me not to eat it.

I believe my continued weight loss is because I’m still in the honeymoon period & my metabolism is going 100 miles an hour. I don’t know what the future will bring & how I will manage my metabolism slowing & appetite returning full time. I’m just going to take it day by day & try to continue to make healthy food choices. I tell myself I’m the one in control of my diet. No one is making me over eat or making me make unhealthy food choices.

I do have the odd treat. Last night I had friends over for Christmas drinks. I had 2 half glasses of champagne & about 4 crackers with blue cheese & 2 slices of bresola over about 5 hours. (I also had 1/2 slice of the roast shawarma lamb I made.) The last time I did anything like this was about a month ago & 2 months before that. And I will have a sliver of Christmas cake on Xmas day.

You may be able to get down to a lower weight but can you maintain it? You still have to be able to live & enjoy your life while maintaining a weight you are happy with. Finding that balance I think is the key.

Good luck.

How tall are you? My biggest fear is gaining...I want to keep losing I would love to maintain around the 110-120... I am 5’1 so I’m short lol how many calories to you take in a day? Macros? Do you have any advice? I don’t think 107 is bad for short people lol... A lot of people ask me how much more weight I plan to lose and I always say I don’t know...I’ll go until my body wants too but also my doctor told me I would never see 120 because of my genetics haha

I’m 2 inches taller than you: 5’3”.

I think your right in saying you’ll keep losing until your body stops. I think we do reach a point where our body says this is what I need to maintain. Factors like age, medical history, gender, genetics, weight loss history, etc. all influence where that sweet spot is. Sure we could all probably lose more if we reduce our intake further & increase our activity but does it work long term? As I said, can you maintain it within the life you want to live? Will it affect your health?

Remember they say the average weight people lose & maintain is 60-65% of their original goal (it generally seems the goal is to reach a bmi of 22/23.) I think this is because of where they settle & find the balance that works within their life & the influence of the above factors.

This is just my thinking. It could be totally wrong.

My continued loss is unusual as is the amount of weight I’ve lost. My bmi currently is about 18.7 & I’ve lost 137% of my goal weight. I don’t want to lose more. Do I fear I may put on weight? Sure. I think we all do at some time on this journey. I would hope I’d still be happy if I put on weight & settled at my goal weight of 60kg. Though I’ll probably still be a bit upset with myself but ... . When my metabolism slows I just hope I can find a new balance of eating, activity & living that works for me long term.

Will you lose more weight? You may? Will you put on weight? You may. There’s no 100% guarantee of what will happen. Your dedication & commitment to a life long change also plays a part.

Sorry this so long. I hope I don’t sound preachy.

I stopped losing at around 9 months after surgery, at 59kg. Have been maintaining within a kg of that weight since July. I'm also very scared of gaining weight again, but I do a lot of exercise to counterbalance the extra food I can eat at 15 months post surgery. My husband did ask if I was still losing weight and told me I look "pointy" the other day, so I think my body is still changing due to the weight classes I do, although my weight is stable. I had the surgery so I wouldn't need to go on another diet again, I believe I've found a healthy balance of food intake vs exercise and it's working so far for me.

a lot of us seem to start regaining during year 3 and our bodies eventually settle at around 10-20 lbs above our lowest weight (and unfortunately for some, they continue to gain a lot more than that and "settle" higher than they'd like). My BMI got down to around 21, but it's now 25 (give or take a couple of decimal points, depending on the day). There's part of me that would love to be down to a 21 BMI again, but I still sit here at c. 25 and have been here for about two years, so I'm clearly not willing to do what it would take to get me back down there. I can eat 1500-1700 kcal/day and maintain my current weight, and that's very do-able to me. I'm sure I would have to cut my calories quite a bit to lose weight, or pretty much live in the gym, and I'm not sure that's sustainable for me at this point.

I'm 5'2", started at 235 lbs 2 weeks before surgery.

I got to goal (127 lbs) at 7 months.

My lowest weight was January of this year at 109 lbs (1 year, 3 months).

I generally stay between 115-120 for the past year (except for a couple months around January when I was below 115, as stated above).

This morning, at 2 years, 2 months, I am 115.8 lbs.

What weight you maintain at eventually will depend on your what your regular diet and exercise levels are.

On 12/12/2020 at 23:36, Arabesque said:

I think your right in saying you’ll keep losing until your body stops. I think we do reach a point where our body says this is what I need to maintain. Factors like age, medical history, gender, genetics, weight loss history, etc. all influence where that sweet spot is. Sure we could all probably lose more if we reduce our intake further & increase our activity but does it work long term? As I said, can you maintain it within the life you want to live? Will it affect your health?

Remember they say the average weight people lose & maintain is 60-65% of their original goal (it generally seems the goal is to reach a bmi of 22/23.) I think this is because of where they settle & find the balance that works within their life & the influence of the above factors.

My continued loss is unusual as is the amount of weight I’ve lost. My bmi currently is about 18.7 & I’ve lost 137% of my goal weight. I don’t want to lose more. Do I fear I may put on weight? Sure. I think we all do at some time on this journey. I would hope I’d still be happy if I put on weight & settled at my goal weight of 60kg. Though I’ll probably still be a bit upset with myself but ... . When my metabolism slows I just hope I can find a new balance of eating, activity & living that works for me long term.

Will you lose more weight? You may? Will you put on weight? You may. There’s no 100% guarantee of what will happen. Your dedication & commitment to a life long change also plays a part.

No not preachy at all thank you so much for replying. Sometimes I feel like I just need to talk to somebody that’s going through the exact same thing I am I actually went to see a therapist last week and it only lasted 30 minutes I mostly did the talking and I got nothing from it.

On 12/12/2020 at 23:36, Arabesque said:

May I ask how many calories you eat on a daily basis?

On 12/13/2020 at 09:58, ms.sss said:

I'm 5'2", started at 235 lbs 2 weeks before surgery.

I got to goal (127 lbs) at 7 months.

My lowest weight was January of this year at 109 lbs (1 year, 3 months).

I generally stay between 115-120 for the past year (except for a couple months around January when I was below 115, as stated above).

This morning, at 2 years, 2 months, I am 115.8 lbs.

What weight you maintain at eventually will depend on your what your regular diet and exercise levels are.

This is exactly what I want to maintain at that weight... how many calories do you eat a day? I guess I’m just trying to find a balance now that I am 11 months out.

On 12/12/2020 at 14:29, GradyCat said:

I stopped losing after 4 months and maintained it until COVID and gained 10-12 lbs but have now lost 1/2 of that back. I eat meals perfectly with the right portions and right foods. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE am ADDICTED to chocolate and find myself grabbing it still when stressed, anxious, or bored. The struggle is real.

Covid sucks!!! Did you also get the VSG surgery?

On 12/13/2020 at 07:43, Daisyjayne said:

I stopped losing at around 9 months after surgery, at 59kg. Have been maintaining within a kg of that weight since July. I'm also very scared of gaining weight again, but I do a lot of exercise to counterbalance the extra food I can eat at 15 months post surgery. My husband did ask if I was still losing weight and told me I look "pointy" the other day, so I think my body is still changing due to the weight classes I do, although my weight is stable. I had the surgery so I wouldn't need to go on another diet again, I believe I've found a healthy balance of food intake vs exercise and it's working so far for me.

A friend of mine had the same surgery I had and she is slowly gaining so day by day it becomes my biggest fear... thank you so much for commenting!

5 hours ago, Love27 said:

May I ask how many calories you eat on a daily basis?

I don’t count calories but I count Protein every day & am conscious of portion size. I do check the caloric count of any new food I consider adding to my diet. I eat pretty much the same things every day. To give you an idea of what I eat:

I serve (35g dry) rolled oats made with 1 cup milk & 12-15 blueberries. (I used to have scrambled eggs but 1 egg wasn’t enough & 2 were too much.)

6 or 8 multi grain crackers with liverwurst

120g prawns with about 2 cups of lettuce & seafood sauce or 80g chicken with about 2 cups of lettuce, 2 inches cucumber, 1 pickled onion & balsamic dressing. (The only reason I can eat this much is because I eat it over at least an hour.) If I’m out I eat less. E.g. 1/3 of a wrap without the wrap.

1 tub high protein yoghurt

About 80g (raw) of protein: beef, pork, lamb, fish, etc. with half to 3/4 cup steamed vegetables

fruit - either grapes, paw paw, rockmelon, mango, mandarin, etc.

Protein Bar

Some nights I’ll skip the protein bar or the fruit. Very occasionally I may add a string cheese or some whole grain rice crackers with hummus during the day depending how I’m feeling.

I have 350ml green tea mid morning too. Lately I’ve been drinking 400mls of sparkling water- I pour it out in the morning so it gets flat & randomly sip on it all day. It’s just something different to the plain Water I also drink. I take my time eating - 20 minutes is a quick meal like the yoghurt. 40 mins is pretty common for Breakfast & dinner. Each meal/snack has a minimum of about 10g of protein, except the string cheese (5g) & the fruit of course. On days I’m not hungry I may only eat the protein at lunch & dinner.