Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Deprived!

I had ESG on June 19th. So far (8 weeks post op) I have lost 25 pounds and I'm half way to my goal of 140 pounds. Average loss the last 4 weeks has been 2.2 pounds a week. I've been able to stick to my meal plan pretty well by consuming less than 650 calories a day and getting in my requirements. I have tried to keep carbs to less than 40 grams per day. I have just started the regular diet phase. The last several days I have felt hungrier and I'm feeling deprived by the lack of variety. I am thinking about increasing my calorie intake to about 800 on a few days each week by increasing carbs. I guess Keto for life isn't for me. Is this a bad idea? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Although 800 cals isnt going to break the bank, you dont mention your Protein intake. Getting too little protein can keep you feeling deprived/hungry all the time. I'd first start adding more protein (either with shakes or real food or combo of both) before worrying about upping calories/carbs.

Other thing I'll say, and I'm sure to get flack over it, some interesting studies coming out suggesting a low calorie Keto diet will preserve BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) better than a higher carb intake of equal calories.

Edited by Pckeys

Congrats on your weight loss so far.

Feeling hungry could be from diet boredom. Is it real hunger or head hunger? Now you’re on a regular diet, can you switch up some of your food choices? I added seafood (fresh fish, prawns, etc.) to my diet, tried different vegetables & new recipes through out the weight loss phase to keep things interesting. Try some plant based Proteins if you’re open.

I’d check your Protein intake as @Pckeys suggested. Protein will keep you feeling full for longer. You can always add a little more even if you are meeting your goal.

My pre surgical diet was Keto too but now in maintenance my diet is way more balanced. For example, I still avoid most root vegetables, rice, bread & Pasta but do eat small serves of whole or multi grains in other forms. I keep my fat intake low. I did eat rolled oats during weight loss but that was the only obvious carb I ate except for those that occur naturally in foods like in fruit.

Some of the readings I’ve done about keto is that it should be for the short term not for life. However, I believe avoiding carbs during weight loss certainly helped me reach & exceed my weight loss goal so I'd be reluctant to add more at this stage but that’s my opinion.

It does take time to work out what will work for you for weight loss then maintenance. Good luck.

NO GO ON Keto just eat healthy and I disagree with the calorie increase my cause a stall - Get to you goal then mix it up

You are on a good run ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Run forest run

12 hours ago, Pckeys said:

Other thing I'll say, and I'm sure to get flack over it, some interesting studies coming out suggesting a low calorie Keto diet will preserve BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) better than a higher carb intake of equal calories.

Pckeys, you’ve touched on a real concern I’ve had...”Preserving BMR”. All of my life I’ve heard that weight gain is often a result of repeated very low calorie dieting that translates into a permanently lowered BMR, thus we pack on weight even easier each time.

Will this extended sprint of 800 cal months create the same? If so, are we better off consuming 1,000 daily even if we perhaps lose at a slower rate? A question I keep intending to ask surgeon or NUT but have not. Hmmmm.

Edited by Lily66

I had read previously that the impact of very low calories on BMR due to WLS surgery is different than someone who consumes very low calories without surgery (as in the biggest loser shows)...it was written by Dr David Fung, the doctor who advocates for fasting (he said fasting had the same impact on BMR as weight loss surgery). I will see if I can find that piece.

I did find this though, you may find it useful

https://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/your-metabolism-how-it-works-with-wls-pre-op-long-term/

And this as well

https://thefastingmethod.com/biggest-loser-diet-explained/

14 minutes ago, Lily66 said:

Pckeys, you’ve touched on a real concern I’ve had...”Preserving BMR”. All of my life I’ve heard that weight gain is often a result of repeated very low calorie dieting that translates into a permanently lowered BMR, thus we pack on weight even easier each time.

Will this extended sprint of 800 cal months create the same? If so, are we better off consuming 1,000 daily even if we perhaps lose at a slower rate? A question I keep intending to ask surgeon or NUT but have not. Hmmmm.

All of the studies on this, many done from 2012 to as recently as feb this year, show a better preservation of REE with very low carb on calorie restriction (regardless of the calories) when compared to moderate/higher carb intake with equal calories. I'd also bet your nutritionist will spout the traditional rubbish for the conventional "SAD" guidelines (which are ludicrous)... the "permanently" lowered REE is a myth too

If you're interested, do a search for REE preserved on VLCKD ... you'll get plenty of results.. read the studies, not the stupid magazine summaries that often miss the point entirely.... another interesting take-away with these studies is the lead time to adapt. The preservation of REE was best expressed with people who are already Keto adapted (that is people whose bodies are already able to use ketones as a fuel). Dosnt take long.

and of course, permanently elevated insulin levels with frequent meals throughout the day with carbs will always shut off fat burning... I dont understand why people dont get that. Insulin is the fat storing hormone

5 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

I had read previously that the impact of very low calories on BMR due to WLS surgery is different than someone who consumes very low calories without surgery (as in the biggest loser shows)...it was written by Dr David Fung, the doctor who advocates for fasting (he said fasting had the same impact on BMR as weight loss surgery). I will see if I can find that piece.

I did find this though, you may find it useful

https://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/your-metabolism-how-it-works-with-wls-pre-op-long-term/

That's Jason Fung and very different study and different metabolic pathways :)

Edited by Pckeys