Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Add Genepro to Chicken Broth?

I am prepping some 2 ounce containers for my post-op Clear Liquids phase. I grew tired of messing with Jello and found that I could dissolve a half scoop of GENEPRO in a small amount of chicken broth. The total slurry mix fits within the 2 ounce container. That would give me 15 grams of Protein per serving, which is WAY more than I doctor up with my Jello attempts. Perhaps a chemist could do better, but I am done.

Any reason not to do this? I have 2 containers chilling in the refrigerator now as a test run. I assume it will separate a bit, but I could just shake it. I really like the taste of the broth and don't expect the Genepro to mess with the flavor, but I know the consistency must thicken a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I mix Isopure with chicken broth and really like it. I add one scoop (25g protein) to 8 ounces of a little more than warm broth. Any whey Protein added to hot will lump up. If you are making in advance, are you going to drink cold or try to rewarm. I put my broth protein in insulated coffee cup with lid on tight and it stays warm over an hour. I tried drinking when not warm anymore and did not taste good. I rewarm cold protein broth by adding a few ounces of hot to the cool instead of zapping in microwave or on stovetop.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, I did that right after surgery. I really liked it because I was sick of everything tasting sweet. Only thing is, as @over65 mentions, if you plan to reheat it later, the Protein Powder will lump up and get gross if it gets too hot. But I use it in hot things all the time - you just should practice before surgery so you know what works. I used to add Protein powder and then heat the whole thing, but then you have to watch it like a hawk to make sure it doesn't get too hot and I ended up wasting a lot. So lately, I heat and then add after it's hot - if it gets too hot, I just let it cool a bit first.

should be fine. Like someone else said, though, Protein powder will lump up if the liquid is too hot. I seem to recall it has to be under 140 degrees for the protein to dissolve properly.

I just run Water through my Keurig. Stir in buillion powder and then add cold broth to cool it and then stir in Protein powder. . I use low sodium premade broth for cold and keep in fridge. (nasty by itself. Needs salt) It only takes minutes to prepare so I wouldn't bother prepping it.

On 6/3/2020 at 12:22 PM, SJR20 said:

I am prepping some 2 ounce containers for my post-op Clear Liquids phase. I grew tired of messing with Jello and found that I could dissolve a half scoop of GENEPRO in a small amount of chicken broth. The total slurry mix fits within the 2 ounce container. That would give me 15 grams of Protein per serving, which is WAY more than I doctor up with my Jello attempts. Perhaps a chemist could do better, but I am done.

Any reason not to do this? I have 2 containers chilling in the refrigerator now as a test run. I assume it will separate a bit, but I could just shake it. I really like the taste of the broth and don't expect the GENEPRO to mess with the flavor, but I know the consistency must thicken a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Genepro was actually sued and genepro lost in regards to that high of Protein in a little scoop. You can google it if you want to know more. I haven’t tried the powder i just read about the lawsuit. Just know you are probably only getting half of the 30. However, some people swear by it. I also have the containers for meal prep. I will be using a mandatory post op Bariatric Advantage shake kit at first though. After that Premier Protein probably