Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 years out From Sleeve

Soo. I started my weight loss journey over 10 years ago. I am 5'2" I had surgery and was, if I remember correctly about 320 pounds. (and I had lost weight before surgery..) I was 54 years old. I lost over 100 pounds. I got down to 180 pounds. I could never get lower than that. But my doctors were pleased and so was I. Over 10 years I managed to gain weight and this past July, got mad at myself when I realized I weighed 220 !!!! I told myself that I needed to reverse the trend, and get back to a healthier weight. My initial goal was to lose 10 pounds in a year. Well, I lost 10 pounds in 4 months and then lost another 12 in the last 4 months, and for the first time in about 6 years am just under that 200 pound weight at 198. ( I will claim those last 2 pounds ! )

I refuse to do any drastic dieting, just "going back to my sleeve eating." More Protein, less carbs, more vegetables. occasional treats. Cut out the popcorn and chips which are my slider foods.... and although I really cannot exercise with my other physical issues, I am moving more and feeling better. I would be happy to be in the mid 190's for this coming July - but focusing more on making sure I don't backslide again....

I am posting because .... well, how do you explain to anyone that you have already lost over 140 pounds and gained back 40, and now have lost 20... 10 years later and it's all connected ? And at my age, no one really notices.... although I did go buy new jeans/slacks for work because darn it, I didn't keep the smaller clothing !!!

Anyone else as far out as I am ? Having issues ? Getting back on track this late in the game ?

Thanks for posting this. there are very few people on this board so long after their surgeries, and many of us wonder what it will be like in the long term. Your post is a valuable reminder that this is a lifetime change in our lifestyle and relationship with food.

I'm not as far out as you (I'm at almost five years), but yes - I've gone up and down. I got down to 135, which was admittedly too low for me - gained up to 150, which was perfect - stayed there for a long time - then my weight gradually drifted up to 160, which I'm currently trying to lose (and I should add it's taking FOREVER - I now understand those normal weight or slightly overweight people who b***h and scream about how hard it is to lose five or ten pounds. I used to roll my eyes at them when I weighed over 300 lbs - now I get it!!). I'm doing the same as you - Protein first, then veggies, an occasional treat - weighing/measuring, tracking everything. I'm trying to average around 1500 kcal/day - so nothing drastic. It IS coming off, but at a snail's pace. But I'm OK with that since I still look fine and it IS coming off.

28 minutes ago, IAmGrace said:

What is a slider food?

Slider foods are often simple carbs (chips, pretzels, crackers, popcorn, Cookies, most Desserts, etc) that go down real easy!!! So easy in fact, that you'll finish off a whole bag of _____ and wonder where they all went. They have a lot of empty calories and no real nutritional value, so what you end up doing is eating foods you shouldn't, instead of foods you should. That's why it's easy to regain, no matter what surgery you had. You have to be careful in your food choices forever. That's not to say that once you are in maintenance mode you can't have a treat now and then, but if you had any kind of food addiction before surgery, you have to think about whether or not eating these foods will take you back down that (weight regain) path again.