Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just not right!

So i have done my best to make healthy food and my teanagers and there friends begged for me to Vortex out some of my Wings! Since everyone is pissed off cuz of college cancelling and all the other drama - I said Fine! Most of you know this but i am a chef. So had this toy called the vortex that you use in a Komata. Never used the thing but oh hell i have nothing to do let me play with this. Since being sleeved i can not handle chicken, but loved wings in the past!

Turned out perfectly but really makes me sad i can not eat them, In the old days could have eaten ten of these dang things! So for all you wing lovers be in misery with me but we are all alot healthier!

Wings.jpg

Edited by AJ Tylo

1 hour ago, AJ Tylo said:

Since being sleeved i can not handle chicken,

I am still a couple of weeks from starting my post operation diet, when I come across messages like this I cringe and a part of me is whispering , "don't do it...run in the other direction!"

I made that mistake last year and canceled my surgery 2 days before I was scheduled to be admired to the hospital, don't want to do it again.

I love wings also, plan to have a few more dozen in the next week or so before saying goodbye. I was hoping that within time, say a year post-op I would still be able to enjoy wings but at a much smaller serving size. If you don;t mind me asking, what do you mean that since sleeve you can't handle them anymore? IS this something I may have to deal with later or is this a personal choice due to a reaction you have now?

Vin I can tell you for sure the surgery is the best thing i ever did! Do not second guess yourself and just for the record i did just eat one wing.

You are the same size as me and I can tell you one thing it makes life so much easier, I do not regret anything and Just for the record i went Hog wild eating the weeks before and dang near made me sick every day. From a 4x to a XL in 8 Months - Trust me on this you will not regret anything. Feel free to Pm me with any questions or issues people helped me and i want to pay it forward! Your food tastes change and chicken is one of those thing alot of us just can not tolerate anymore, But I did eat a whole wing and was great, It wont be all fun and games, but the good outways the bad 200 to 1. lIfe will change but for the better.

I will Pm you a picture that is in the mens section

IMG_1880.JPG

Dog named boo.jpg

Edited by AJ Tylo

I am lucky and chicken is okay for me. You will find your way - it's hard, not gonna lie. Giving up carbs has been the hardest for me. But I'm finding it's getting easier and I feel so much better. I dont tell myself that I will "never" have certain foods again, that doesn't work for me. So far though, no cheating and cravings are better. You got this! And do have a food funeral- my nutritionist recommended that and I think it really helped.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

So i have done my best to make healthy food and my teanagers and there friends begged for me to Vortex out some of my Wings! Since everyone is pissed off cuz of college cancelling and all the other drama - I said Fine! Most of you know this but i am a chef. So had this toy called the vortex that you use in a Komata. Never used the thing but oh hell i have nothing to do let me play with this. Since being sleeved i can not handle chicken, but loved wings in the past!

Turned out perfectly but really makes me sad i can not eat them, In the old days could have eaten ten of these dang things! So for all you wing lovers be in misery with me but we are all alot healthier!

Wings.jpg

They look awesome! I am 3mths out and have been eating dominos regular wings like crazy! I can only eat 3 (3 drummies) at a serving and I am done! They have that grilled taste, no breading! I can eat them everyday! I find it to be a safe food for me and would love to try your recipe if you would feel free to share! They look delicious!

How to Vortex them

First things you have to get a Vortex

https://www.amazon.com/LUTANI-BBQ-Kettle-Grills-26-75/dp/B07BP7JFWK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=GUJUNI9LG6TT&keywords=vortex+grill+accessory&qid=1584617398&sprefix=Vortex+grill%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-4

Step one

We prefer only wings but get you chicken wings and legs. RInse off and put in bucket, Now the key to this is the brine. To brine use 1/3 cup of salt, 1/3 cup of red hot. Use chicken stock or base. I prefer the chicken base paste. Also on Amazon. Add Water to cover wings and refrigerate for 12 hours. I do this before i go to bed then they are ready the next day.

Step two

Remove wings and lightly rinse. Put in zip lock bag - Add wing sauce, butter and pepper and shake it all up. Store for 3 hours or more flipping bag every so often.

Step three.

Get your grill rocking with the vortex in the middle. The ones i did yesterday the vortex had the grill at 600 degrees Hot as Hell in there. I found it easier to remove the grate and arrange them around the outside off the grill. We wanted a little smoke flavor so i added a chunk of apple wood to the middle of the grate. Put grate back on grill. Close lid. You have to keep the lid closed the heat is going to roll around convection style with the vortex in the middle of the grill. Took about 30 minutes and I did rotate them at 15 min.

Skin was perfect, moist from the brine, and perfect taste.

On the side we did have a variety of hot sauces, Ranch and blue cheese - Not a wing in site 15 minutes later

Awesome thank you so much for sharing!

14 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

How to Vortex them

First things you have to get a Vortex

https://www.amazon.com/LUTANI-BBQ-Kettle-Grills-26-75/dp/B07BP7JFWK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=GUJUNI9LG6TT&keywords=vortex+grill+accessory&qid=1584617398&sprefix=Vortex+grill%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-4

Step one

We prefer only wings but get you chicken wings and legs. RInse off and put in bucket, Now the key to this is the brine. To brine use 1/3 cup of salt, 1/3 cup of red hot. Use chicken stock or base. I prefer the chicken base paste. Also on Amazon. Add Water to cover wings and refrigerate for 12 hours. I do this before i go to bed then they are ready the next day.

Step two

Remove wings and lightly rinse. Put in zip lock bag - Add wing sauce, butter and pepper and shake it all up. Store for 3 hours or more flipping bag every so often.

Step three.

Get your grill rocking with the vortex in the middle. The ones i did yesterday the vortex had the grill at 600 degrees Hot as Hell in there. I found it easier to remove the grate and arrange them around the outside off the grill. We wanted a little smoke flavor so i added a chunk of apple wood to the middle of the grate. Put grate back on grill. Close lid. You have to keep the lid closed the heat is going to roll around convection style with the vortex in the middle of the grill. Took about 30 minutes and I did rotate them at 15 min.

Skin was perfect, moist from the brine, and perfect taste.

On the side we did have a variety of hot sauces, Ranch and blue cheese - Not a wing in site 15 minutes later

Omgoodness cannot wait to try and will order from Amazon the vortex! Thanks again!

On 3/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, VIN_IN_AL said:

I am still a couple of weeks from starting my post operation diet, when I come across messages like this I cringe and a part of me is whispering , "don't do it...run in the other direction!"

I made that mistake last year and canceled my surgery 2 days before I was scheduled to be admired to the hospital, don't want to do it again.

I love wings also, plan to have a few more dozen in the next week or so before saying goodbye. I was hoping that within time, say a year post-op I would still be able to enjoy wings but at a much smaller serving size. If you don;t mind me asking, what do you mean that since sleeve you can't handle them anymore? IS this something I may have to deal with later or is this a personal choice due to a reaction you have now?

You will still be able to eat wings, just not as many.