Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

So I’ve been on my journey since December 31st and am quickly approaching my psych evaluation & the submitting of my paperwork (yay!). So I’ve always had sleep issues, and since I was released from the military have been on a plethora of things for sleep. Well, the best thing that worked for me was weed (if you’re judging you can judge your way out of this post). Back in January I began taking mirtazapine to help me sleep so I could stop smoking... well one of the biggest side effects is appetite increasing & MAN have I felt the increase. At this point, I’m just worried that I’ll gain... it’s freaking me out! I want this so bad and I’m sooo confident that this tool could assist me in getting where I want to go, I just don’t want to mess it up! The dietician suggested I drink a Protein Shake at night, to help with my crazy cravings.. but this has not worked so far. Pray for me guys! This sh*t SUCKS! I go see my primary tomorrow to talk about possibly changing meds.. wish me luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry you are having these issues. My husband and my son struggle with periodic insomnia that has not responded to any particular approach; We live in Mass which has both medical and now recreational marijuana available, but it did not work for either of them. Maybe try to mix some PB powder into your Protein Shake? I've heard that can help with rest. Also, my son actually feels using a weighted blanket has helped him.

If you are gaining weight because of the prescription meds, maybe having some documentation of that side effect from the prescribing doctor and/or the nutritionist will bolster your likelihood of a successful appeal if it does impact your eligibility?

Also, if your sleep issues relate to sleep apnea, losing weight has been pretty well vetted as a preferred treatment.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

I'm so sorry you are having these issues. My husband and my son struggle with periodic insomnia that has not responded to any particular approach; We live in Mass which has both medical and now recreational marijuana available, but it did not work for either of them. Maybe try to mix some PB powder into your Protein Shake? I've heard that can help with rest. Also, my son actually feels using a weighted blanket has helped him.

If you are gaining weight because of the prescription meds, maybe having some documentation of that side effect from the prescribing doctor and/or the nutritionist will bolster your likelihood of a successful appeal if it does impact your eligibility?

Also, if your sleep issues relate to sleep apnea, losing weight has been pretty well vetted as a preferred treatment.

Good luck!

Hi! Thank you for the reply ❤️. I got tested for sleep apnea, doesn’t have it. I won’t lie I was really hoping that was the issue just so things can get solved! But, here we are lol. I’ve also called the bariatric clinic (I figured that would be smart lol) & made them aware of the issue. On top of that, I’ll be discussing the issue with my primary today. I will also try the PB in my shakes! Hopefully it helps me out! I’ll keep you posted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a hard time shutting down the racing thoughts at night, so I alternate between a hefty dose of melatonin and a muscle relaxant that I have for fibromyalgia. Most nights it works. I suspect the melatonin might not work for you alone but maybe if you add a homeopathic supplement like Valerian it might?

Just a thought. I wish you all the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to share what I took to help me quit smoking. My Dr put me on Wellbutrin, I took it for a month and then quit smoking. I will tell you that this was the easiest time out of probably 8 times I quit and it has stuck. I noticed no crazy side effects from it like other stop smoking meds and a great side effect is you can lose some weight on it. Now, as far as insomnia, I have had it on and off my whole life, but about a month after surgery I started sleeping though the night and I would hardly move in the night. I am not sure if this is surgery related or not, but if so I'll take it! Let us know what your Dr says today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO! My doctor said we can try another sleeping pill, all that he named are ones I've actually already tried but didn't work. He said we can try something like ambien, but that made me sleep eat lol. So I'm going to try and power through it and fight it as much as I can. It really sucks! Buuut..it's so worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lynda486 said:

I wanted to share what I took to help me quit smoking. My Dr put me on Wellbutrin, I took it for a month and then quit smoking. I will tell you that this was the easiest time out of probably 8 times I quit and it has stuck. I noticed no crazy side effects from it like other stop smoking meds and a great side effect is you can lose some weight on it. Now, as far as insomnia, I have had it on and off my whole life, but about a month after surgery I started sleeping though the night and I would hardly move in the night. I am not sure if this is surgery related or not, but if so I'll take it! Let us know what your Dr says today!

I'm actually on wellbutrin now, I loove it for my depression. As far as quitting smoking weed, it was pretty easy. I've always dealt with insomnia as well! I really hope that the surgery changes this for me, that would be AMAZING. My sister got the sleeve in August 2018..she's slept great since!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nermada said:

I have a hard time shutting down the racing thoughts at night, so I alternate between a hefty dose of melatonin and a muscle relaxant that I have for fibromyalgia. Most nights it works. I suspect the melatonin might not work for you alone but maybe if you add a homeopathic supplement like Valerian it might?

Just a thought. I wish you all the best!

I've never heard of it, but I'm about to Amazon it riiigght now lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be praying for you. You can do this! Do you take Melatonin? That works for me and hubby who has chronic sleep issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Machalo said:

Will be praying for you. You can do this! Do you take Melatonin? That works for me and hubby who has chronic sleep issues.

Hi! I've tried melatonin and it does nothing for me. I'm gonna power through this and hope that surgery helps my sleeping issues some!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think another issue that's probably screwing with me is that alongside working full time, i'm in school full time. However, I finish March 1st....so we will see if that helps some!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried just basic unisom for sleep? There is a costco brand Kirkland signature of doxylamine succonate (unisom) that I bought on Amazon. I think it was $11.83 for two bottles 192 count total. I take 50 mg although I also take a unisom sleep melt 25 mg which is basically an allergy medicine (they both are) but are much safer than prescription sleep meds. I take a muscle relaxer as well. But I’ve lifelong chronic illness.

it sounds like you are under a great deal of stress and need to unwind to sleep and get into a decent routine which can be very hard to do. Hopefully you can find some sense of balance soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

Have you tried just basic unisom for sleep? There is a costco brand Kirkland signature of doxylamine succonate (unisom) that I bought on Amazon. I think it was $11.83 for two bottles 192 count total. I take 50 mg although I also take a unisom sleep melt 25 mg which is basically an allergy medicine (they both are) but are much safer than prescription sleep meds. I take a muscle relaxer as well. But I’ve lifelong chronic illness.

it sounds like you are under a great deal of stress and need to unwind to sleep and get into a decent routine which can be very hard to do. Hopefully you can find some sense of balance soon.

I tried it in my early 20’s but maybe I should give it another whirl. And yes! Stress is a big factor here. It seems like as of late if I’m not worried about school I’m worried about being approved for surgery. I keep telling myself what’s meant to be will be, but for me that’s easier said than done. Luckily I got a call from the bariatric center letting me know that they’ve made a note of the med change & all aware that mirtazapine causes weight gain. I’m determined to plow through this because I really want this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having chronic insomnia forever, and tried prescription and gone through major withdrawals from the prescription sleep med in the past I take otc diphenhydramine or doxylamine succinate at varying doses. Though I’ve got a weird routine personality. Maybe it’s because I also have adhd, am on the Autism spectrum, something with my chronic illness, who knows, I need caffeine at night to help me sleep a little better. But one key thing I’ve learned is the simpler the better when it comes to what you take for sleep.

I was stressed worrying about if my surgery was going to be covered because the first doctor I went to gave me such a horrible attitude, meanwhile other people loved him. I fought until I was exhausted. Until finally an endocrinologist referred me to Cleveland Clinic. And I gave it my all. And had to just let it go and hope it was happen. It was either surgery or totally give up. My endocrinologist knew my metabolic disorders were sending me into a tailspin or weight gain and nothing i was doing could stop it.

thankfully it did happen and it will happen for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Darbs4Mayor

      Met with my surgeon yesterday and he said that he is so excited for me and the progress that will be made! Waiting for insurance pre-auth and then will get everything scheduled! 
       
      So excited to start this journey and become a new person!! 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      New found appreciation for you all!
      So Im back in the US to take care of my aging father and it seems like more than ever that being bigger is the norm everywhere here. I cant say that Ive been the best, healthiest me at the moment, but I think you all Americans are doing GREAT to even be working towards the goal of getting healthier in face of all this temptation (even if you are a "slow loser"). So give all yourselves a pat on the back!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • zombierayvinn

      I am now 10 days post op and I am down 16lbs. I had an allergic reaction to the glue my doctor used so I am still sore and trying to keep moving to not get stiff. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Tory Myers

        Hello congratulations on your new journey I am 5 days post op and still trying to get the hang of things. I’m supposed to return back to work in a few days but still sore as well. Do you have any advice for me being 5 days post opt?

    • Tabatha529

      Hello,  I am brand new on here. 
      The doctor qualified me yesterday for the surgery, so now I have to take 12 weeks of education classes and then he said they will schedule the surgery 4-6 weeks after I complete the classes. 
      I am excited to start this new journey.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Anki

      Am at the half-way mark of the six month pre-op program.  So excited!  Got clearance from psychologist this morning, so I scheduled my surgery consult for early March.  It is becoming more real now.  Have lost 18 pounds so far, since I began this journey on 12/18/19.  
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×